Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update to High efficiency 4.5W flat LED light modules

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an update to this thread.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26488825/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED modules in all the light fixtures in our trailer.

To do this I took down all the fixtures in our trailer, soldered leads on each LED module and then soldered the leads into the fixture. I attached the modules to the fixtures with double sided sticky tape.

I used 1 module per incandescent bulb.

We've been using them for a couple years now. They work fantastic.

No more worries about running the batteries down and our solar panels easily replenish whatever energy they use during the night. And they are way brighter than the bulbs they replaced.

We now leave the bathroom light on all night. Our kids stay up late reading all the time, using the light in their bunk. Its great to have good light in our trailer.
18 REPLIES 18

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I'm confused why you would not us these panesl for $2.25 which are plug and stick? 48 5050 instead of 30.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
me2 wrote:

I used 1 module per incandescent bulb.

What was the cost per bulb replaced ? (I see that was answered already.)

There are plug and play replacement bulbs easily available with adequate light for less than $1.50 each and the time involved is about 30 seconds each.

The provide adequate light but maybe not as much as yours.
4.5 watts is actually quite bright.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, the price on these modules has now dropped to $4 each. You can probably get them cheaper if you buy in bulk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-4-5W-480-Lumen-30-5050-SMD-LED-Pure-Warm-White-Light-Bulb-Vertical-Pins-12V-/171848976670?var=&hash=item2802ff491e

We really like the light quality from these. (2700-3500K) I tested some "pure white" (5500-6500K) modules and hated them. The light was way too blue.

People who drop by our trailer often think we are connected to AC power because our lighting is so good. Even when we are connected to AC, I don't turn on the inverter charger, simply because there is no need. The solar panels easily top up whatever charge is used for lighting.

I have no affiliation with any eBay sellers.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job. It can be an expensive ordeal finding the right fit, but they are much better and a lot less heat.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman