cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater anode rod looks good?

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my rv this season just in time to learn how to winterize it. I found the 1-1/16" anode rod and unscrewed it to let the water out and this is how it looked. Does this look good or do I need to clean or replace?

7 REPLIES 7

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
With the cost being relatively low, it's simple to change them out at the beginning of each rv'ing season. I've done this the past 6 seasons and never had one completely shot.
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is time for a new one.
If you wait much longer the galvanized support rod will come apart and leave the big chuck inside the tank.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this on-line...

That looks very much about what I do with mine...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! I'd be more concerned about all the corrosion and **** lying at the bottom of this water heater :E ... time to get out the shop vac and suck / blow all that debris out of there, especially rust that's surely accumulated in the combustion chamber, not to mention flushing out all the crud inside the tank from that depleted anode rod. From the looks of it this may be the first service this WH has ever seen! :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own a worn out 3/4 npt tap. So I leave mine out all winter. Come spring a quick clean of the threads, some teflon tape and Im ready to install.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use it a little while longer. I would put Teflon tape around the threads.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's about shot! I'd put the rod back in the heater, but definitely get a new one for next camping season! Once it gets down to just the center core, they are completely dead. But you've got the winter to get a new one now. Won't hurt anything to put it back in, even use it a bit longer, but definitely get a new one to replace VERY soon.

Edit:
You don't clean them. The stuff you see is dissolving. It's suppose to do that.

This is what a new one looks like. As it deteriorates (actually protecting your heater), it eventually looks like your. Do not clean off that crusty stuff. That's still good.

one more Edit:
If you don't have a replacement yet, you need to put this one back in so the threads will not rust out on your water heater. You can see how bad the rust got on the threads on the rod and where they are still good where they were threaded into the tank. You want to keep it in to keep the tank from rusting or else you'll never get another rod back in.