cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater failed right before sale :(

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sold it on consignment with the original selling dealer.

He called me as the water heater failed to ignite on propane during thier pre delivery inspection ๐Ÿ˜ž Had to put a new board in it.

When we left FL, it was working... I drained the tank before our travels, and winterized after we got home. Just luck of the draw I guess.
7 REPLIES 7

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Having sold a couple of RVs now, I would be so happy it sold that I wouldn't care about that relatively small amount. You would probably have accepted an offer for even less just to get it gone.

That's why I never hesitated authorizing the repair. They listed the trailer a little higher than I intended to. After paying the consignment fee, I'm very happy with the outcome!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having sold a couple of RVs now, I would be so happy it sold that I wouldn't care about that relatively small amount. You would probably have accepted an offer for even less just to get it gone.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I trust the dealer wasn't scamming me. Their consignment fee is 10%, cost of repair was what I'd expect it to be if I brought it in for repair. Be silly to take 10% and then another couple of hundred.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
So, parts NEVER break at any time? Then DON"T put your RV for consignment. I guess the cynical posters would tell any buyer of THEIR RV, "hey, if a appliance breaks when I am delivering it to you, YOU(buyer) must have broken it. Because it worked yesterday. FYI, as someone who has been in the RV service business for 42 years, appliances and system break all the time just prior to delivery on both NEW and OLD. To the OP, your winterization had nothing to do with the Circuit board failing. It just failed. If you post the year model of the RV, and Brand of WH, I can give you more info on if the Part was common to fail at any time. Doug

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s quite possible the board went bad. I was at a nearby state park when mine went out. It was under 5yo. Most of these boards are cheaply made. It takes longer to diagnose the problem than it does to replace the board.

I doubt the dealer pull a scam for such a small profit.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t know about a scam real possible ,I don,t trust dealer service. I,d have went and checked it out.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Old scam - one they tried to pull on me once. Tell him you want the old part back. If he gets angry, then you know you caught him. Tell him you're not paying for anything.