cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater not putting out water

thewaggonerfami
Explorer
Explorer
We had water that didn't get blown out of our water supply lines the winter before last and burst the pipes. I was really sick last with my pregnancy last summer and we didn't camp and the camper sat fallow all last year. So this year I decided rather than trying to repair the split cpvc pipes where they were split, to make the leap and replace all the supply pipes in the camper in Pex with the crimp style clamps. I basically duplicated the cpvc plumbing layout exactly in the Pex. This was my first experience in Pex and I got it all done with no leaks this weekend while camping and in between nursing my 5 mo old. Go me! ๐Ÿ™‚

So, all the Pex was leak free, but one of the female, hand tighten, screw type connections coming off the water heater on the hot water, out line that screwed into the Pex had a tiny drip. When we went to turn on the hot water, it came out rusty looking with lower pressure than the cold, then went down to a trickle then a drip. If I turned off the spigots, when I turned them back on, I got a trickle then a drip again.

Any ideas what is wrong or how to trouble shoot it? The cold water is fine, high pressure. Could it be scale or rust from the water heater blocking the out line? Or is it something else? If its scale, how do I clean/flush it out? Are there directions on the web?

Thanks!

PS I can get pics and brand name if needed. But I am inside nursing the baby, so JLMK if you need it. Its the basic RV water heater that came with the TT with a switch on the front of the sink to ignite it. When I realized there was no water coming off, I turned the water heater off immediately in case there was no water in the water heater tank.
Scott & Katie
Katherine 23, Christian 21, Johannah 19, Nicholas 14, Genevieve 12, Matthew 8, Andrew 6, Bonus baby Lillian, and Delia the Wonder Dog

Old Rig #1:1983 Fleetwood Prowler
Old Rig #2:1990 Fleetwood Prowler Lynx
New Rig: 1997 30' Skyline Nomad
15 REPLIES 15

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be able to unscrew that 'elbow fitting/connector' from the Bypass Valve (diverter valve)
THEN unscrew the whole 'elbow fitting/connector' from the Brass nipple (check valve)
THEN unscrew Check Valve from WH Tank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
See, toldya I wasn't a net guru. Luckily we have some who are, Drew...

What I DID notice was the disconnect feature built into that gangle (technical plumbing term) of fittings leading away from the brass check valve. Looks like it enables replacing the check valve without having to cut, or glue, or crimp, any of the plumbing to do it. That's nice!

Hmmm... Looking again, maybe not. I thought the piece to the right of the elbow was a "union" type part that would spin back and release the elbow. Which would allow the elbow to be removed from or with the check valve. Now I'm not so sure. Might have to take the water line off at the tee past the valve and then see what'll unscrew... Hmmm...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:

Also, RV.net kept re-setting the connection. I logged on as Woodalls.com and posted this. Same ID and password as RV.net works in Woodalls, Trailer Life, maybe others.

The RV.net gateway doesn't like the percent symbol (in the URL for the image). Oddly if you force it to use a secure connection (by changing the rv.net URL to an https URL and reloading the page) it will accept the dangerous/evil percent character.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Here's your picture:

Yes, the Check Valve is the Brass Piece. I carry a spare one, but haven't had a problem with one yet, two RV's over 18 years.

I copied your photo link into the Post Picture (looks like a postcard) option in Advanced Post Form. That gave me some kind of imbalance. One was in a square bracket and it came up with an extra "/img" statement.

I think... I'm not an interned guru so I can't explain the pic any better.

Also, RV.net kept re-setting the connection. I logged on as Woodalls.com and posted this. Same ID and password as RV.net works in Woodalls, Trailer Life, maybe others.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The check valve is the brass fitting between the elbow and the hot outlet in your photo.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

thewaggonerfami
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with posting the photo.
Scott & Katie
Katherine 23, Christian 21, Johannah 19, Nicholas 14, Genevieve 12, Matthew 8, Andrew 6, Bonus baby Lillian, and Delia the Wonder Dog

thewaggonerfami
Explorer
Explorer
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/mamaWag/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/AB0DF79F-3F77-418F-8EF5-9454FE85A20B_zpsbyssci6u.jpg[/IMG]
]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/mamaWag/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/AB0DF79F-3F77-418F-8EF5-9454FE85A20B_zpsbyssci6u.jpg[/IMG]
Scott & Katie

thewaggonerfami
Explorer
Explorer
I can't take it apart today, but here is a pic of the top/back of the water heater. Which one of these is the check valve? The good news is that it appears to have a diverter valve already installed.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/mamaWag/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/AB0DF79F-3F77-418F-8EF5-9454FE85A20B_zpsbyssci6u.jpg[/IMG]
Scott & Katie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF bypass was issue then you would get cold water flow out of hot water side of faucets

If water heater was still filling you would get spurts of air/water out of hot side of faucets

Check valve in water heater HOT out is clogged up.
It is a cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly that easily fails/clogs
Especially when water in water heater is old rusty scaly water.

Drain and thoroughly flush water heater tank
Replace anode rod if you water heater is a SUBURBAN (Atwood doesn't use them)
Remove hot line fitting at water heater (check/clean inside of fitting)
Remove 'nipple' in hot out on WH Tank.....check valve is internal of nipple.
Replace with new check valve
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
The aerator screen on the faucet could be plugged, unscrew it and see if you get a good flow.

Probably not in this case, since the cold water works well. There are not too many heat-sensitive things that can clog an aerator screen.

You are right.
Just not thinking today.:Z

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
The aerator screen on the faucet could be plugged, unscrew it and see if you get a good flow.

Probably not in this case, since the cold water works well. There are not too many heat-sensitive things that can clog an aerator screen.

I can think of three reasonable explanations:

1. Water heater check valve, as described by others.
2. Water heater bypass valve(s), either misinstalled or misconfigured.
3. The water heater is not yet filled. (This may be a long shot, granted, but sometimes the simplest problems are the hardest to suss out!)

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on check valve (prevents back flow of hot water ) Its the top fitting on the tank that the hot out line hooks onto. It's a $10.00 part and easy to change if you can get to it.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Also did you install a bypass valve for winterizing.