cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater temperature

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Too hot outside, so time on my hands to mull things over.

I find RV shower to be a pain. Trying to get the temperature right, wasting water on a limited supply, the dripping of the RV type shower head. If you know what I mean, you know what I mean.

Seems like a practical answer is a warm water tank, one that heats water to a reasonable temperature. Any such thing?
24 REPLIES 24

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FYI, 5 gallons would be a lot in our experience. We spent last week without any sewer connection so I had to get creative. The only thing that went in the grey tank was shower water and after my wife and I took showers, I drained the tank into a container every morning and found we only used about 5 gallons total.
So ~2.5 gallons for a Navy shower (and we could probably do better).

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
Meh, if you're accustomed to taking "Navy showers", 5 gallons is plenty.

It's also another incentive to conserve water while dry-camped.

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to adapt the adjustable thermostat from a residential electric water - i.e., something like this:

Interesting idea! Using 5 gallon of water for a shower is only when I have hook ups!!!!

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Meh, if you're accustomed to taking "Navy showers", 5 gallons is plenty.

It's also another incentive to conserve water while dry-camped.

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to adapt the adjustable thermostat from a residential electric water - i.e., something like this:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the solution I've used in both of our trailers and a birthday gift to my brother

https://www.amazon.com/IMIKEYA-Thermostatic-Mixing-Connections-Temperature/dp/B08Z7PD833/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1SS7J6MKAYOQQ&keywords=imikeya+mixing+valve&qid=1659887296&sprefix=imikeya+mixing+valve%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-2
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Fulltimer50 wrote:
In the normal water heater configuration, the hot water from the heater is mixed with cold water from somewhere else. If all of the water comes from the heater, you are going to run out of warm water faster than if you mixed it.

^^^^ This ^^^^
If the water heater tank temperature was say 90 degrees, you would never be able to finish a shower with warm water.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
In the normal water heater configuration, the hot water from the heater is mixed with cold water from somewhere else. If all of the water comes from the heater, you are going to run out of warm water faster than if you mixed it.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Regulation would be perfect!

Thats what I was thinking, replacing the limit/temperature switches. But above my paygrade.

Did some looking around and 98 to 104 is the recommended temperature for showers by doctors, dermatologists etc. I believe the heaters are set at 130 degrees.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tank temp is regulated usuallyu 120 degrees. You can get a higher temp t-stat for most makes.

The "Dripping shower head" if you use a shower head with a cut off and totaly cut it off then when you restore flow you tend to regret it (Too cold or too hot) but the DRIP tends to make is "normal" when you re-start flow (This is assuming a cut off valve in the shower line not the mixer valves)

There is also a temp, regulating mixer valve or several out there but I do not have a link.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
be nice if you could regulate the tank temp.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time, but I think I changed one once to a lower temperature setting. Removed and put in a different thermostat.