cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Battery Mfgr?

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my 2 12v house batteries on my 97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy. And should probably replace my engine batt also.

I am a senior Gramma and don't want to get "sales pitched" into something
I don't need.

I boondock at Quartzsite 2 weeks a year, use gen in p.m. so batts have
always remained charged.
Maybe overnight here & there boondocking when traveling (Walmart, Flying J, etc.)

The current batteries are Comcore Energy Source but I can't see the side
to see what size, they are over 8 years old. Same as Engine Batt.
They are located in the engine compartment. I have a battery shut off switch
in the RV and turn batts off when in storage.

So anyone have any ideas, suggestions, help to clearify what I need or
what I should ask for.
Also about installing... someone said go to Costco, are they able to install
house batteries? would that be a good source or where should I go for batteries?

Thanks
Gramma Dy
1997 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy
1998 Saturn SW2 Wagon, Automatic
Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake

"We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends."
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are really only a few battery makers.
Major companies

Trojan is considered the best Flooded wet cell though I'm not sure the quality difference is greater than the price difference.

US-Battery and Johnson Controls And Deka all are very good companies and cheaper than Trojan's.. DEKA owns the only lead smelter in the US (East Penn Battery Company).

Excide.. Not sure how they are today but .. Well in the past they have not had the best reputation.

There are SOME "Boutique" brands Small companies, very high quality as a rule and also more expensive even than Trojan's. (Trojan is a big company)

MOST other brands are either Johnson Controls, relabeled (Costco, Sames and others) or US-Battery (Also sold under Costco and Sam's house labels)

Batteries Plus is I believe Excide (Why I do not buy 12 volt there).

Recommendation: Sam's Club usually has a good price on GC-2 (Six volt golf car) batteries, Made by either Johnson Controls or US-battery depending on where you live/buy them,. Or.. DEKA if you wish to support "Made 100% in the USA".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Myself I recommend Sears because of their service.

Mex - don't know how often you go North.....but Sears stores are
becoming a thing of the past.

RVgram - most of the brands are mfg by Johnson Controls (Including Interstate). Google Johnson Controls for lists of their batteries.

Most manufacturing has moved to Mexico.

Costco would be a good choice - lots of stores, good warranty service.

~

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For chassis batteries, I get mine at AutoZone, but any good auto parts place will have comparable.

When I replaced my house batteries, I went to Interstate Batteries and got a pair of 6 volt batteries and wired them in series. They have a store about 2 miles from my house.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Myself I recommend Sears because of their service.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dy,

Group 29 will have larger capacity than the other smaller jars. That means depth of discharge will be a smaller percentage and that usually means longer life span.

Do you routinely check electrolyte levels?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
I boondock 2 weeks at Quartzsite, I run the gen every night for a couple hours... we usually do a movie. maybe overnight at a Walmart when doing a 2-3 day drive to a destination. other than that usually at an RV park plugged in.

Unfortunately this past year I wasnt able to use the RV, it was in
storage since last Sept. I've started the RV and ran the gen with a load from the a/c's.

I went a couple of days ago to clean it up and get it ready to take a trip.. I thought I turned the batt switch off.. but anyway house
batts are dead dead dead. Engine started right up.

So as a preventative... I think I'll just replace all batts 2 house
1 engine. I don't want to get out somewhere & don't have batts. I dont have a trickle charger and dont have time to plug in to chg
the batts.etc. I rather be safe than sorry.

I have heard I should do group 29 for house if they fit. What's the difference in group 24, 27 and 29's for my usage will either work? If they will all fit which is the better battery?

Tks,
Gramma Dy

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
What mfgr of batteries do you use? suggest?
Sears Die Hard Costco Interstate

Tks,
Gramma Dy

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Eight years out of your batteries is a lot. I suggest changing them unless you want to try to milk a few more months out of them, and change them at a campground or along the road when they fail. I would change them now at your convenience. Sears Diehard use to be a good battery but I don't know about them now. I use Interstate and am well pleased. An Interstate company store will change out the batteries for you. Most auto parts stores will also change them out for you. I would stay away from Walmart batteries.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
8-years is a long time for .050" plates to sit submerged in acid. Unplanned breakdown repairs can be a pain in the you-know-where.

Buy your batteries where you can get good service and no-hassle warranty adjustments. Costco, Sears. Etc.

The proof is in the 8-year pudding. You had no problems. You do not need AGM and ypu do not need to switch to golf car batteries. Sears offers good service and I believe there is a small store in Yuma. They might try to arm wrestle you into buying AGM grade. Resist it. Their best regular battery is plenty good enough for both the RV batteries and engine starting battery. They offer several grades. The best grade of their battery that has caps to be removed to check the water are good batteries IMHO.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
There are only a couple of actual manufacturers, so your real choices are few. If as you say you boondock a lot and have the room, golf cart batteries are your best option.

X2 (While there are only two manufacturers, they make batteries by contract, and make them the way the retailer wants them made.)

I'd also recommend golf cart, also known as 6 volt deep cycle, batteries. The cheapest place I know of is Costco.

You got 8 years out of your old batteries. That's great. I'd also recommend changing the engine batteries as a preventive measure.

I'm kinda with pianotuna. Don't replace just because they are 8 years old. Replace when they fail. Regarding 6 volt golf cart batteries. Yes, they are very good and less cost.. however I'm not sure Senior Gramma want's to babysit batteries (check and add water, hydrometer, equalize, etc....) If the batteries she has now has performed OK maybe buy similar ones. Do we even know if the current batteries are wet or sealed? When I was putting my solar generator together I researched all about batteries and was about to pull the trigger on 6 volt golf cart batteries but having to vent them added complexity to the design and at the end of the day I did not want to be a battery maintenance man other than make sure they do not get discharged less than 50%. I wanted something I can plug and play and not have to look at again until failure. I agree with the 6 volt route but ended up with AGM as pianotuna suggested.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
There are only a couple of actual manufacturers, so your real choices are few. If as you say you boondock a lot and have the room, golf cart batteries are your best option.

X2 (While there are only two manufacturers, they make batteries by contract, and make them the way the retailer wants them made.)

I'd also recommend golf cart, also known as 6 volt deep cycle, batteries. The cheapest place I know of is Costco.

You got 8 years out of your old batteries. That's great. I'd also recommend changing the engine batteries as a preventive measure.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dy,

Why do you feel they need replacement?

I chose to go to agm batteries this time round.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.