cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happens when you don't drain H20 heater b4 a freeze :(

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't drain out Atwood Water Heater in our Motor home over the winter and it cracked on the top part of the Aluminum tank,

I didn't know that and the other day when I turned on the water pump several gallons of water soaked our bathroom floor and hallway carpet within less than a minute. as you can see in the photos it's next to a water line that connects to it, it doesn't extend much further than that, I had a rv handy guy come to fix it today, but he couldn't because he doesn't weld aluminum, we hate replace it, if it still has life in it, the guy left it out and didn't charge me, he suggested I either get someone else or take it to someone who can fix, the only thing is as you can see, that pipe's fitting is rusted and I'm concerned that attempting to remove it will result in breaking the connector and possibly making the crack bigger, the guy suggested that I could bypass it so I could at least use the water, why can't I I just shut the valve off under the sink that goes to the heater tank? He also suggested to try JB Weld just so I can use it for water, than he said it might even work to heat, but is there a danger in that? it can either be accessed through the drawer in the bathroom as you can see in the photo

so if I need to try that I could otherwise it has to come out to access the crack.

Now onto to the carpet and floor, as you can see in the photos

it got soaked right down to the floor, I cut out the carpet and padding, and left outside to dry, I figure all I have to do is glue it back, or might try to replace it if I can find the right shade, to make matters worse in the back at the foot of the bed is where are kitty has made her litter box and has peed there, when I reached that part of the floor I was overwhelmed by a strong urine smell I treated the area with chlorine and vinegar as I did the floor, there is little sign of buckling maybe about a inch or two, well I've shared way too much, has anyone else gone through this and could make some suggestions? I followed some instructions that I found in other forums, so hopefully I'm ahead a little? Truly amazing how something so little can cause something so big!
Thanks

1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32 Foot Diesel Pusher
8 REPLIES 8

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a whole new tank and save all the grief to tryin to just change the bare tank out, that way you will have a new tank plus igniter and everything, just change one out in my Bigfoot camper last spring when I bought it, previous owner forgot to drain, new tank here was $375. and well worth going new, than screw around tryin to weld up the old one. Just my thoughts.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a company that repairs by welding the heaters. www.americanweldinginc.com
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

chipper
Explorer
Explorer
A good welding shop with a competent T I G aluminum welder could fix it in about an hour if you take it out & bring it to him, cost, $40-60. It would be good as new.:)
gene

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
katysdad wrote:
Go to a RV dealer with model and serial and order just the tank. Very simple to change out.

Will check that out
Thanks
1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32 Foot Diesel Pusher

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a RV dealer with model and serial and order just the tank. Very simple to change out.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
You want to risk having another floor soaking over not buying a new one of these? :S

yep, do it right the first time, replace, don't patch. JMHO.
same thing happened to me when I inadequately drained my tank one winter, primarily because I had put in a Hot Rod and it was such a pain to get in/out behind that copper tube. Sort of funny actually, I had sold it thru a consignment shop, who actually buys them and sells them so they owned it when it was filled up with water and the split was discovered. he kept telling me that he assumed I was an honest man, etc. etc. so it only cost me the $200 or so for the tank, no labor etc. and the buyer went thru with it as they got a brand new W heater out of the deal. mine was in a basement compartment area and didn't damage the MH at all.
bumpy

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You want to risk having another floor soaking over not buying a new one of these? :S
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing the water heater is the best solution. Cut the pipe and the corroded fitting and replace when installing the new tank.

For the part of the floor where the cat has urinated: treat it with one of the newer pet deodorizers and before you install new carpet and pad, paint the floor with an oil based paint.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton