cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What should getting wheel bearings packed cost?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Grand Design 27RL 5th wheel. I contacted a local service center to inquire about getting my wheel bearings packed. I was quoted $490 for this service.

I had another place that has since closed that used to take care of my old 5th wheel and I never had to pay anything close to that. Now that he has retired I am forced to find another place to deal with.

What should I expect to pay for this service?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
27 REPLIES 27

okhmbldr1
Explorer
Explorer
Call a mobile mechanic who works on cars. If he can repack the front bearings on a truck or van, he can pack the bearings on your trailer. Order the seals online and have them waiting for him when he comes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"Insist on quality US Made seals or the above can happen!!!"

Or could happen regardless.

Anything can happen! Start out right and you will be far ahead!!!

People had Oil bath systems removed from DRV's because they leaked, YEP cheap Chinese Seals. I did the opposite, I changed to Oil bath on mine at $25 per seal. I used QUALITY National True Oil Bath seals and QUALITY "O" rings on my caps. Trip from NW WA to SoCal and back not a sign of a leak, 2,600 miles.

Doesn't help the OP, he's disabled...:S

(Your) "changeover" will skyrocket the cost -he's already worried about- when done at a shop.

I was NOT replying to the op. Notice I was responding to someone else?

You have been smacking yourself on the forehead for too long.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dpgllg wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
When was the last time you had the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle repacked?

OP Here,

I Purchased this 5th Wheel brand new in 2017. I have had it inspected in 2018 and 2019 and everything was okay each time with bearings seals and brakes.

We have made two trips to Myrtle Beach and one to Disney and about 5 trips local to us in SW PA.

I'm just trying to make sure I stop anything from happening that I can prevent.

I am disabled or I would take this on myself. I just thought that $490 was high for this service.

Dave

Typically the axle manufacturers RECOMMEND, not REQUIRE service every 12,000 miles or once a yr.. Generally not a big issue if you do not have done yearly if your miles are lower.. I do like to check mine before taking for inspection, this way I am not surprised and the mechanic cannot pad the bill..

Your local Inspection station should be pulling one drum on each side of the trailer every yr to inspect the brakes. They will alternate the next year.. IF you have a fairly good Mechanic, they will point out that you need service on the grease or bearings.

If you have been taking to a RV dealer to have inspection done, you do not need to have a RV dealer inspect it. Many dealers SEND it out anyways then pad the bill..

Call around to some of the local PA State inspection stations and ASK if they can inspect and/or service RV trailers bearings and brakes.

The sticker they use for RVs is actually the same that is used for motorcycles and as long as they have required area (they must have a certain amount of pavement in front of the garage or a garage large enough to pull the trailer in) to inspect trailers they often will.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

People had Oil bath systems removed from DRV's because they leaked, YEP cheap Chinese Seals. I did the opposite, I changed to Oil bath on mine at $25 per seal. I used QUALITY National True Oil Bath seals and QUALITY "O" rings on my caps. Trip from NW WA to SoCal and back not a sign of a leak, 2,600 miles.

Doesn't help the OP, he's disabled...:S

(Your) "changeover" will skyrocket the cost -he's already worried about- when done at a shop.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dpgllg wrote:
Dusty R wrote:

OP Here,

I Purchased this 5th Wheel brand new in 2017. I have had it inspected in 2018 and 2019 and everything was okay each time with bearings seals and brakes.

We have made two trips to Myrtle Beach and one to Disney and about 5 trips local to us in SW PA.

I am disabled or I would take this on myself. I just thought that $490 was high for this service.

Dave
Personally, and JMO, you don't need to repack the bearings. They've been done enough that you should be good for several years and thousands of miles. Having it done every year is a waste of resources and money. But of course, it's your call.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:

OP Here,

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Insist on quality US Made seals or the above can happen!!!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't do it yourself do NOT go by price alone. Vet the shop online before you even call them.
It's worth the money to have it done right by a qualified tech, not some minimum wage guy just starting out. Or you end up with this

This is what I found as I was checking over our new to us 5er a month ago. All 4 wheels had this mess inside the drums and 2 of the magnets were hanging by the wires. Don't be that guy.
Puma 30RKSS

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Just had it done at local camping world. $300.00
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
Just got it done at Les Schwab. Cost $170 per axle plus tax. This included new bearing seals which typically are replaced when bearings are packed. They also inspected/adjusted the brakes and greased the suspension wet bolts for free.

It used to cost about $100 per axle plus tax, but a couple of years ago they discovered they were charging way below the competition (which I verified) and raised their rates a bunch.

I don't like the price increase, but they seem to do a good job.

I truly wish you the best of luck with LS.
Just got mine done at Les Schwab too. Second time they've done 'em on this trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CarnationSailor wrote:
Just got it done at Les Schwab. Cost $170 per axle plus tax. This included new bearing seals which typically are replaced when bearings are packed. They also inspected/adjusted the brakes and greased the suspension wet bolts for free.

It used to cost about $100 per axle plus tax, but a couple of years ago they discovered they were charging way below the competition (which I verified) and raised their rates a bunch.

I don't like the price increase, but they seem to do a good job.

I truly wish you the best of luck with LS.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
Dusty R wrote:

Who are you asking?
I believe it's a rhetorical question.

No, he doesn't understand that there are still vehicles on this planet that have bearings that are much the same as those on trailers, albeit with quality components. My old van still gets it bearings cleaned and packed when the brakes are serviced.