cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do about generator exercising?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I left home over month and half ago. I exercise my generator once a month per Honda's manual at 1/2 load.

I'm stuck in a park until some parts come in over a different issue. So I can't (or shouldn't) run generator in park and can't pull TT out.

When I left home I was going to use the A/C to give generator its load when exercising it. That plan has changed and I don't have anything to put it under load to properly exercise it.

Generator is Honda eg2500 (old gas gen, pre whisper quiet, 1990's era.)

Question: Which would be better in your opinion?

Don't run generator or run it without a load on it?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
16 REPLIES 16

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
on my 2000's I just drain the carb after use and never exercise it until I'm ready to use it the next time.

Exactly but I drain the tank too. That gets it back to the way it was when new. They don't get exercised sitting in the box waiting to be sold.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two "vintage" Honda generators: A Honda EX650 and a Honda EX1000.

I never exercise them - just start them up and run them whenever I need them. Both are in pristine condition and both start right up like the day they were new.

I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about not exercising old Hondas ... just keep Stabil in the gas in their tanks.

It's our motorhome's built-in Onan generator that I exercise regularly. I load it with an electric heater (winter), or the RV's air conditioner (summer) while it's running.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Wa State (wet side) is why I run mine (ONAN) once a month.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
Executive wrote:
Personally I wouldn't worry about not exercising it. Do it again when it's possible...worry about the weather, worry about the economy, worry about what to have for dinner....don't worry about the genset....Dennis

X2 Mine sits all winter, is 10 years old and I have never had any issues with starting, running or bad fuel.

A friend has an Onan 4KY genset to power his summer place on an island. It runs a LOT for 4 or 5 months a year and isn't touched the rest of the year. After 20 some years it still starts and runs flawlessly every spring.

My Onan 4KY doesn't get started till it's needed, that's sometimes 6 months, it too runs and works just fine.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...Thanks everybody. The gen has been good to me and don't want to mess up anything.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My mother has a Honda at her house and only uses it when the power goes out or when one of us thinks of it. It's about 10 years old and starts every time even when it often sets for 6 months.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
One month would not worry me. I havc an older Honda E3500. It has been stalwartly reliable and all I have ever done is follow the owner's manual.
It and most of the old Hondas have a screw in the carburetor to drain the fuel. Turn the fuel off and do that. Then grab the rope and pull it up to compression and leave it alone. Now the carburetor is dry and the valves are closed, so those parts won't rust.

This is all in the owners manual.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry about missing 1 month.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Honda 2000 that sat for 4-1/2 years without starting that was stored a long ways from home. It took 4 - 5 pulls to start on the gas that was in it. Have used it a couple of times since then, it works fine.

Exercising a generator once a month is optimum, but look at all of the generators that are stored some place far from where the owner is most of the time. They only get started every six months if they're lucky. I'm mainly referring to all of the MHs stored in AZ. The snowbirds arrive in late fall to pick them up, use them all winter, put them in storage for the summer, and fly home again. It's not the end of the world.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
Personally I wouldn't worry about not exercising it. Do it again when it's possible...worry about the weather, worry about the economy, worry about what to have for dinner....don't worry about the genset....Dennis

X2 Mine sits all winter, is 10 years old and I have never had any issues with starting, running or bad fuel.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The only real issue you might run into is fuel stagnation. Purchase some Sta-bil and put the recommended dosage in your fuel tank. Let the manager of the RV park know you need to start the generator one time for 2-3 minutes. You'll be good to go until the next time you can perform your routine exercise of it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
It is good that you are properly exercising your genset on a regular basis. Don't be too alarmed by a necessary hiatus. Just pick up where you left off once the other issues in your rig are solved.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
on my 2000's I just drain the carb after use and never exercise it until I'm ready to use it the next time.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:

If ya feel ya hafta, throw the genny and a space heater into the truck and go a mile down the road.

Or hair dryer? (Could the OP not borrow a heater or hairdryer or .... ?