cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what size soundbar do I need?

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to install a soundbar w/ wireless sub for our 27 inch LCD digital tv. We enjoy reasonably good sound from our systems. TV just doesn't produce good sound....(maybe it shouldn't cause it's an Insignia).

Current fiver has 4 ceiling speakers which we may wish to add to the system. Pulled out the old disc/radio tuner (which was junk).

Have enough space on wall over tv for soundbar and floor space for sub.

Know nothing about how soundbar/subs work in a fifth wheel.

Please share your thoughts on price, brand/quality and sound.

Thanks again!
4 REPLIES 4

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like other poster said, you don't need a lot of width or sound power in this small space. It will reverberate from the walls, making it worse. I would say, under 30". Most Iphone docks (if you have one) will sound better than TV speakers. For news I wouldn't even bother, but for a music or a good movie TV speakers sound poorly. 20-years old TV box would sound better, but today's flat TV have speakers at the bottom edge, firing downwards or to the back, resulting in a flat sound.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed 2 Vizio 2.0 sound bars, one 29" and one 38". Both sound very good and are superior to several more expensive sound bars that I bought and returned because they sounded weak. The 29 is actually on a cart that we use for outdoor movies at my university and it is plenty loud. The speakers also have Bluetooth so you can play music from your phone or tablet too.

Long story short, I would recommend the $100 sound bar. It's easy to install, has a wide frequency response, and produces lots of clear, distortion-free sound.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a soundbar myself but I do know that the only thing that requires size is the subwoofer. I get very good sound from tiny corner and center speakers. My home sub is 12" big and it is overkill. Probably that any 8" sub would do the trick in an RV; maybe even 6".

In my RV I have the TV by itself for sound but I only use it to watch the news. I have pair of bookshelf speakers + 6" subwoofer for iPhone music. Definitely enough for a tiny 20' interior.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
This belongs to Technology rather than Technical Issues.
You may want to try your ceiling speakers first, since you have 4 of them. Should be an improvement over TV speakers already - most anything will be an improvement. Via Aux input on your trailer radio/receiver.

Low frequency sound like sub (or even bass sound from main speakers) is a horrible thing. It might not look like loud in your room, but your neighbors will hear it through the trailer wall.