cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Generator to Buy?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Initially thought 2000 would be my size but who knows, maybe i would want to run the AC on a rare occasion in the summer. usage would be for overnighting on the road as we never dry camp.

I really do not like the increase in weight of the 2400 Yam. however I think it would run my 13,500 AC where as the 2000's would struggle or would not do it.

Considering I did not notice something like a 2400 Honda, it looks like the Yam would be the choice in the 2400 range.

Also the cut in price for say a Generac 2000 or the Subaru 2500 look enticing, any experience on it out there.

thanx
32 REPLIES 32

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jspringator wrote:
Between buying the Generator and finding a place to transport the gas without blowing yourself up, ...

There's no need to worry about blowing yourself up if you don't cheap it out. A $7.99 plastic container from Walmart doesn't hack it.

This is the can we use to transport gasoline in taking up part of a steel lined outside storage compartment of our Class C motorhome. This fuel is for our Honda portable backup generator (our Onan generator is built in) - these come in 5-gallon size, too:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/safety-cans/gas/justrite-uno-type-ii-safety-can-3-gallon-wi...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I am glad to see that not everyone assumed I was gonna spread out my "sheet" and homestead. I got some good advice on which to make a decision.

As stated in the OP it would be very rare for me to need a genny in the summer - we are winter wanderers.

So here is my plan. I am going to get the Honda EU2000i - the model that is set up for further add on of the parallel kit. The thing will always be in the bed of the pick up, whether in use or not. I seriously doubt that the need for summer air will arise and be high enough on my priorities that I will think it is worth while to spring for the extra bucks.

Thanks again to the folks that did not assume a whole bunch of stuff and also those that have been there and done that in Wally's parking lot. I feel confident that those Peterbuilts and others will have me outclassed when it comes to creating a disturbance. :C

Nothing was assumed... it was clearly stated conditional... "If" with an example, nothing more. All you did was confirm that the example I chose was correct. Quit trying to spin the story and lay blame elsewhere, it's on you, not me.

Get a room... or a campsite with hookups, if you need A/C to sleep. A generator is not your answer for your "rarely" occasions.

A similar question.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Between buying the Generator and finding a place to transport the gas without blowing yourself up, it does make more sense to just get a pull through campsite when traveling in July and August. A PSW inverter can handle the microwave and TV a lot easier.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikes wrote:
smkettner wrote:
On second thought... Just get a campground and skip the generator.
x2
x3..Especialy in this case.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

On second thought... Just get a campground and skip the generator.

X2

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
n Wally's parking lot. I feel confident that those Peterbuilts and others will have me outclassed when it comes to creating a disturbance. :C
Petes will be found way more often in truck stops than WM.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dave,

You may wish to add an additional charger to save on run time of the genny (for house battery charging).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad to see that not everyone assumed I was gonna spread out my "sheet" and homestead. I got some good advice on which to make a decision.

As stated in the OP it would be very rare for me to need a genny in the summer - we are winter wanderers.

So here is my plan. I am going to get the Honda EU2000i - the model that is set up for further add on of the parallel kit. The thing will always be in the bed of the pick up, whether in use or not. I seriously doubt that the need for summer air will arise and be high enough on my priorities that I will think it is worth while to spring for the extra bucks.

Thanks again to the folks that did not assume a whole bunch of stuff and also those that have been there and done that in Wally's parking lot. I feel confident that those Peterbuilts and others will have me outclassed when it comes to creating a disturbance. :C

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
If a honda 2000 could stay in eco mode while running a AC, they would be even more popular than they are now. Unfortunately they can't and will be loud, running on the edge, possibly shortening its life as well as under powering the AC.

Also, I don't know where your Walmarts are but if I tossed a $1000 generator out on a string and then went to bed at the one near me, neither the generator or my shore cord will be there in the morning.

MHs with enclosed generators really have the advantage here.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
2oldman wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
BTW... if you are overnighting, you'll wear out the welcome for everyone if you start something like this up in a WalMart parking lot or a rest stop after hours.

x2. It's bad manners.

Common folks, between the local hot rodders and the trailer trucks in wally world parking lots it is not like you can hear a mouse pass gas. Two nights ago I wound up with a reefer on both sides of me, in addition to the local hot rodders and one guy that was playing that noise that makes the real loud booming sound. The guy one spot over ran his genny in the Mo Ho all night. But his genny could not hold a candle to the rest of the stuff. :h I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot.

Thanks for the advice all, you helped me make a final decision.

Dave, the only part of your post that I will comment on is: "I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot". While true, the EU2000 (I have one) is very quiet in eco mode, it will not run the AC in eco mode. Rather, it will run a 13.5 AC at wide open throttle where the genny gets much louder. I've also done this as a test on my old trailer with a 13.5 AC. I don't recommend it.

If you're not concerned about running the AC, I see no problem in running a EU2000 in a Wal Mart or similar parking lot, though that's not my cup of tea.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
greenrvgreen wrote:
Niner, I read your link labeled "Common Sense", and while I found plenty of good advice for keeping the freeloaders from brawling in the parking lot, I found no mention of the people trying to use a Walmart parking lot for parking while shopping at Walmart. Don't they deserve consideration also?

Read the last paragraph... if your cart has some items you purchased as a customer at WalMart before you ask for permission to spend the night from the store manager... that's mentioning you as a walmart customer and shopper also, and removes you from the status of "freeloader", hopefully they made a profit off you, to offset your footprint overnight in their parking lot that they comp'd you. It's a two way street. Leave some money in their coffers, and they'll seek your business while letting you park/loiter for more than just shopping time there.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Common folks, between the local hot rodders and the trailer trucks in wally world parking lots it is not like you can hear a mouse pass gas. Two nights ago I wound up with a reefer on both sides of me, in addition to the local hot rodders and one guy that was playing that noise that makes the real loud booming sound. The guy one spot over ran his genny in the Mo Ho all night. But his genny could not hold a candle to the rest of the stuff. I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot.

Dave, is dead-on right with this.

We've taken our Class C (built-in genny, of course) coast to coast across and back in the U.S. now, twice ... 7000-9000 miles per trip. Most of it during July-August in the South. Hotter than you know what and humid-ier than you know what.

We've spent plenty of hot/humid nights in Walmart lots. We ran the genny some of these times at night in order to sleep or at least get to sleep in the heat, the humidity, and among all the other noise in the Walmart lots. I guarantee you no one noticed our puny little Onan genny noise that was lost within all the other racket. We of course parked way out in far corners of the Walmart lots where their managers recommended. However, if available, we preferred parking right where the Walmart big-rig semi's over-nighted - for safety - but boy, was the racket from their idling rigs something else. That noise completely covered up any generator noise from us.

Walmart lots are NOT anywhere near quiet at night - especially those Walmarts that are open 24/7.

However being in a small, compact Class C motorhome, we don't present a "big monster" RV outline that attracts attention and we do not open the awning, spread out chairs, open slides, or have a generator sitting out somewhere. Just a little white box with a van nose. Being that, we can even cool the coach area in an ultra-quiet and stealthy but short-term expensive way by idling the main engine for hours so as to use the cab air conditioner. This requires using about 0.7 gallons per hour to feed the main engine, but it is non-detectable from the outside, and from us in the inside too. The Ford V10 is very stealthy when idling.

The point is being missed, it's not about the noise in the parking lot by others, it's about pulling out the portable generator, and 30 amp cable and "setting up camp".

It's perception by others in the parking lot of setting up camp, and complaining to the manager about it. It's out of the ordinary, it stands out, and it ostracizes all of us RV'ers.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Niner, I read your link labeled "Common Sense", and while I found plenty of good advice for keeping the freeloaders from brawling in the parking lot, I found no mention of the people trying to use a Walmart parking lot for parking while shopping at Walmart. Don't they deserve consideration also?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Common folks, between the local hot rodders and the trailer trucks in wally world parking lots it is not like you can hear a mouse pass gas. Two nights ago I wound up with a reefer on both sides of me, in addition to the local hot rodders and one guy that was playing that noise that makes the real loud booming sound. The guy one spot over ran his genny in the Mo Ho all night. But his genny could not hold a candle to the rest of the stuff. I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot.

Dave, you're dead-on right with this.

We've taken our Class C (built-in genny, of course) coast to coast across and back in the U.S. now, twice ... 7000-9000 miles per trip. Most of it during July-August in the South. Hotter than you know what and humid-ier than you know what.

We've spent plenty of hot/humid nights in Walmart lots. We ran the genny some of these times at night in order to sleep or at least get to sleep in the heat, the humidity, and among all the other noise in the Walmart lots. I guarantee you no one noticed our puny little Onan genny noise that was lost within all the other racket. We of course parked way out in far corners of the Walmart lots where their managers recommended. However, if available, we preferred parking right where the Walmart big-rig semi's over-nighted - for safety - but boy, was the racket from their idling rigs something else. That noise completely covered up any generator noise from us.

Walmart lots are NOT anywhere near quiet at night - especially those Walmarts that are open 24/7.

However being in a small, compact Class C motorhome, we don't present a "big monster" RV outline that attracts attention and we do not open the awning, spread out chairs, open slides, or have a generator sitting out somewhere. Just a little white box with a van nose. Being that, we can even cool the coach area in an ultra-quiet and stealthy but short-term expensive way by idling the main engine for hours so as to use the cab air conditioner. This requires using about 0.7 gallons per hour to feed the main engine, but it is non-detectable from the outside, and from us in the inside too. The Ford V10 is very stealthy when idling.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C