cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why did this pump break??

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
Went to winterize my fiver last weekend and when I tried to pump the antifreeze through the system I got no action. Took the pump out and took it apart to find this.

The pump worked fine about 3 weeks earlier and we had no frost yet. It is broken on the "dry" side of the pump head too so it can't have been from freezing. Any thoughts?
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter
16 REPLIES 16

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
reasley wrote:
If you wish to repair the pump, the part you need is 94-238-03. It consists of a wobble plate with the bearing, the plastic housing and diaphragm. The suggest list price is $35.75.

....and 65.00 to ship it to Canada
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
If you wish to repair the pump, the part you need is 94-238-03. It consists of a wobble plate with the bearing, the plastic housing and diaphragm. The suggest list price is $35.75.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
The downside is that it is a C-note or two for a new pump. At least you can get a variable pump or stick in an accumulator tank so it doesn't short-cycle or pulse when you are running the sink very lightly.

You can get a Shurflo 4008 (3 gpm/55psi) for $65

It will cost you twice that to rebuild/new Shurflo 2088
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The downside is that it is a C-note or two for a new pump. At least you can get a variable pump or stick in an accumulator tank so it doesn't short-cycle or pulse when you are running the sink very lightly.

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
renoman69 wrote:
I've already bought a new one but this pump was not "not used" but used sparingly and the type of failure is more than a bit unusual.

I agree. We used the same pump in business and had a lot of them on the road. Never seen a failure like that.

Actually this is not all that unusual a failure. While not as frequent as switch or motor problems, we see a few each year. Usually when there leak between the diaphragm and the motor housing, the motor will seize because there is no seal on the motor shaft. On occasion if just the wobble plate bearing seizes, this type of destruction will occur. We sell several hundred diaphragm pumps each year and have seen just about every possible failure.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
renoman69 wrote:
I've already bought a new one but this pump was not "not used" but used sparingly and the type of failure is more than a bit unusual.

I agree. We used the same pump in business and had a lot of them on the road. Never seen a failure like that.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
The motor runs just fine but there IS some rust there on the bearing which leads me to believe the maybe last year there was water in there and when I winterized the anti freeze did not get in there because the leak was so small and it cracked just enough to weaken it. I did use it this summer and it was fine.
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me like the bearing in the center of the wobble plate seized. If you turn the wobble plate does it turn the motor over?. The plate when detached from the diapgagm, should turn freely without turning the motor. The wobble plate is mounted on the motor shaft at a slight angle. As the motor turns it causes the wobble plate to wobble, which is how the diaphragms move back and forth. If the center bearing seizes, it turns the plate breaking the the support webbing as in your picture.

From the appearance of rust on the the bearing in the photo, it would appear that there was a small leak into the housing behind the diaphragm causing the seizure.

Al__B
Explorer
Explorer
It definately could be freezing. I had a failure similar to this caused by freezing. The rubber diaphram expands from the ice and voila! Broken pump.
Cummins Powered

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
renoman69 wrote:
Well this pump has been used sparingly. Hooked up to city water more than 90% of the time.

Therein lies your problem most likely. Dry rot from non use. Anything mechanical is subject to break down at any time. Just replace it and move on. JMHO.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
Well this pump has been used sparingly. Hooked up to city water more than 90% of the time.
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
450 AHs of Trojan power

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Things break. It is that simple. Do NOT rebuild. It will cost more to rebuild than it is worth. Buy new. Doug

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to tell for sure from the photos but, I too agree it appears to be fatigue.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad