cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wierd water gauge problem

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
In my many campers and trailers, I have had problems with the grey and black tank gauges being unreliable. Now I have a new one. My fresh water gauge says that the tank is full even when I dump the tank. There is no paper there to foul up that function. Anyone have any good ideas? I have no ideas, and I would like to have that gauge be a little close. Thanks.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
10 REPLIES 10

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
If your fresh eater has a lot of minerals in it they can coat the tank walls. Most of the malfunctions on any of the tanks is not toilet paper, it is a coating of scum on the tank walls causing an electrical path between the probes.

X-2

Check out SeeLevel.
It gives a reading in % instead 1/3 s. Not very hard to install. And very dependable.

Dusty

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Because we spent 6 months every year since 2001 in the very bad Arizona water I would buy 6 gallons of vinegar at costco and fill the water tank using another 6 gallons of water . Turned the pump on and when the water arrived at the faucet I would turn off and do the same to others. Let it soak for a few days and drain and flush. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
First, remove the wire from the bottom sensor on the freshwater tank. that is the wire that all the other wires connect to through the water to provide a resistance value for the circuit board. If your board still shows full with that wire removed, then either the board is bad or the wires are connected out of order.

You can check for continuity between that wire (after it's removed) and the frame or any known ground source. If it is a good ground then touch that good ground wire to each of the other wires(they can stay connected) and you should be able to illuminate each of the different levels.

I will have to move my trailer up to a smooth, dry spot, (raining now) and work on this. It gives me a place to start. I guess I can add up the amount in the grey and black gauge to guess on the amount used. Thanks for the comeback. Sounds good.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
mike-uswest wrote:
Thanks for the answers. Looked at the wiring in the gauge, but haven't been able to get to the wires at the tank yet. Will when I can move it to a better area. The water is hard here, never had problems before, but I guess there can always be a first time. Any idea how to dissolve it and still be able to drink it after flushing? Thanks again.

Mike

You might want to use a considerable amount of vinegar, google its use for many different ideas on how to use it.

This may be worth a try, hit the Dollar store and grab all of their vinegar. Thanks

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
First, remove the wire from the bottom sensor on the freshwater tank. that is the wire that all the other wires connect to through the water to provide a resistance value for the circuit board. If your board still shows full with that wire removed, then either the board is bad or the wires are connected out of order.

You can check for continuity between that wire (after it's removed) and the frame or any known ground source. If it is a good ground then touch that good ground wire to each of the other wires(they can stay connected) and you should be able to illuminate each of the different levels. You will need to hold the test button down while you touch each sensor with the ground.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
Thanks for the answers. Looked at the wiring in the gauge, but haven't been able to get to the wires at the tank yet. Will when I can move it to a better area. The water is hard here, never had problems before, but I guess there can always be a first time. Any idea how to dissolve it and still be able to drink it after flushing? Thanks again.

Mike

You might want to use a considerable amount of vinegar, google its use for many different ideas on how to use it.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If your fresh eater has a lot of minerals in it they can coat the tank walls. Most of the malfunctions on any of the tanks is not toilet paper, it is a coating of scum on the tank walls causing an electrical path between the probes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe when your rig was built a 'technician' accidentally piped the black tank and fresh water tank together and it is a piece of toilet paper on the sensor? :B

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the wiring.....tank to interior gauge.