cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind Noise Coming From Roof Vent

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a new C Class moho with a vent above the overhead bed that creates a lot of wind noise while driving at highway speeds.

Any ideas how to minimize the wind noise? Has anyone used window/door insulation strips, or other products to minimize the wind noise? A friend recommended adding a roof vent cover, but I'd like to try other remedies before resorting to adding the roof vent cover.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
14 REPLIES 14

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We put new vent covers on our motorhome and they are not nearly as thick as the original ones - we have more outside noise - almost sounds like they aren't even closed, but they are, and they are sealed. There are insulation pillows sized to fit that can be purchased - we just push a sofa pillow into the opening -- much quieter. Our sofa pillows just happened to fit and are the right color to go with the interior, but you can buy plain ones at Camping World or many other places. I'll bet it would make a big difference.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Purchased a vent pillow and it cut the wind noise by about 50%. I will probably add a vent cover in the near future.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we first bought our new Class C, our dealer told us that was normal and sold us a $15 pillow designed for the purpose. It works and it also helps to keep the cab over area cool. All of our vents rattle a little at highway speeds. Fortunately we don't hear the others. One day we'll actually get MaxxAir type vent covers, but until then, the pillow works just fine.

Here's one on Amazon. We have the one without the reflective surface. I don't know that you'd want the reflective surface. If the vent is closed all the reflective surface would do is bounce any UV rays back to the vent cover, possibly shortening its life.

-Michael

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It opens from the back. Just not enough pressure on the thin seal to keep the wind noise down.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I like the vent covers, I can open the vent and leave it open at home or while camping and not worry about rain getting in, I can also leave the vortex fan on in the one in the bathroom.
Which way is the vent pointing, if it opens forward it seems to me that it is backward and should open to the rear..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm not opposed to adding vent covers per se. I'm just trying to figure out if there may be a simple fix before I proceed with the vent cover.

I'm thinking a thicker seal may be the answer, as Westend suggested. The seal from factory is very thin and probably doesn't make full contact with the cover.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I checked the rubber seal around the metal flange and it's in good shape.

The entire vent assembly is in good shape. I think the vent cover doesn't sit snug enough against the thin rubber seal and lets air get through.

I'm going to see if the hardware store sells thin, self-adhesive weather stripping that I can stick to the vent cover flange to lessen the gap between the side of the rubber seal and the vent cover.
I restored my roof vents and used a butyl rubber sealing strip I purchased at Ace hardware. It was similar to the sealing strip linked to above but bigger and more durable. The plastic vent cover should contact this sealing strip when closed. IIRC, I used some adhesive to hold the strip in place.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
I know you don't really like the idea (for reasons that I cannot fathom), but I would heartily recommend the vent cover as well. I have them on nearly all my ceiling vents--the exception being one that is immediately next to the air conditioner where many vent covers would adversely affect the air flow through the AC--and I would not want to be without them. Being able to have the vents open without fear in adverse weather conditions and when driving down the road are tremendous advantages.

X2, not sure why the OP doesn't want a vent cover? I see them as one of the best things since sliced bread.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know you don't really like the idea (for reasons that I cannot fathom), but I would heartily recommend the vent cover as well. I have them on nearly all my ceiling vents--the exception being one that is immediately next to the air conditioner where many vent covers would adversely affect the air flow through the AC--and I would not want to be without them. Being able to have the vents open without fear in adverse weather conditions and when driving down the road are tremendous advantages.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I checked the rubber seal around the metal flange and it's in good shape.

The entire vent assembly is in good shape. I think the vent cover doesn't sit snug enough against the thin rubber seal and lets air get through.

I'm going to see if the hardware store sells thin, self-adhesive weather stripping that I can stick to the vent cover flange to lessen the gap between the side of the rubber seal and the vent cover.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying that the vent is closed but not sealing?

If the vent is open, the only option is a cover.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Install a MaxxAir type cover over it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check to see if the vent seal Like This is in place,it fits over the rim of the metal vent.

If it is left out or misshapen or worn out the vent cover will not seal properly when closed.

Vent covers are an excellent idea,they will protect your vent lids and prolong their life,and with our year round good weather you can keep them open without the fear of rain getting in. Oh what am thinking we never get rain :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If this is the standard 14" vent then they make pillows that fit in the opening for insulation purposes.
If it's one of the bigger escape hatches I would think you could just get a piece of thick foam rubber to do the same thing.