cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WInegard Sensar IV - size of hole through roof?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm about to install a Sensar IV to replace the junk omni that came with my rig. The instructions say to drill a 1 3/4" hole through the inner and outer roof. The metal base on the antenna has a 1 1/2" flange but I'm going to be using a roof wedge which is flat.

I'm thinking I only need a 1 1/8" hole to clear the plastic antenna rotator shaft.

Is that correct or am I missing something?
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you ever need to adjust that 15/16" nut that holds the rotating top piece to the fixed roof plate, you'll need a little clearance for the tool.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ultimately I drilled the hole at 1-3/4". It was up and down the ladder about 4 times to make sure the shaft was centered in the hole on the inside. A very small movement on the outside seemed to make a big offset on the inside.

So I could have screwed down the antenna on the first go and it would have worked with the extra big hole, but being a semi-perfectionist, it would have worked with a smaller hole because the turning shaft is right down the middle.

Now to hook up the coax.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
I understand what the hole is for. The biggest thing going through is the "directional handle" while is a hair over 1". Can't understand why they say 1 3/4". I guess I'll call Winegard tech support.

Clearance..so nothing binds/rubs.
Allows for 1000s and 1000s of installation variations.

Go for it.
You can always disassemble and enlarge hole later if it causes issues.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess after you purchase it, it is yours and you can install it anyway that suits you... Problem solved...

I installed a second one a few years back on my 5th wheel roof for a SAT DISH install and followed the Winegard Install Instructions. All still working and no leaks...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Please post when you get it figured out and installed. I am looking at the very same install later this year. Thanking you in advance.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I understand what the hole is for. The biggest thing going through is the "directional handle" while is a hair over 1". Can't understand why they say 1 3/4". I guess I'll call Winegard tech support.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Manual says 1.75.
Click on PDF file to down load
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need the 1 3/4" hole so that 'directional handle' can fit into ceiling.

Directional handle has stub that fits thru ceiling plate and around antenna shaft.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31