Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon ceramic pads question

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey all

Just ordered Power Stop carbon fiber ceramic severe duty truck& tow pads for my 2014 Ram 3500 CC LB dually. Most of the driving in that truck is towing out 14k lb. FW. My question, is it okay to use carbon fiber Ceramic pads with the stock rotors?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
89 REPLIES 89

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I have been on this Forum much longer than you so I will cut you some slack. Ask any longtimers on here they will tell you I don't lie or exaggerate as I have no reason to do so.

I am sure you will say the same about me getting 65k with plenty of tread on my DRW Michelin's with tread left. That's towing 1/2 the miles with full RAWR load. I also used to get 120k easily with 3rd gen Michelin's on my 98 12V 4x4.

Whatever ROFLMAO. I get 140,000 miles out of brakes and 120,000 miles out of tires too. Every year when I take my annual trip to Fantasy Mountain.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StonedPanther wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"You get 145,000 miles out of the OEM brakes? LOL"

You obviously don't own a modern diesel with an exhaust brake.

I also obviously live in the real world. There is no way in hell you are getting 145,000 miles, or anything even close, out of OEM brakes. Or aftermarket either. Not even if you have half a dozen exhaust brakes on the truck and 3 on the trailer.

Internet forum BS.

I have been on this Forum much longer than you so I will cut you some slack. Ask any longtimers on here they will tell you I don't lie or exaggerate as I have no reason to do so.

I am sure you will say the same about me getting 65k with plenty of tread on my DRW Michelin's with tread left. That's towing 1/2 the miles with full RAWR load. I also used to get 120k easily with 3rd gen Michelin's on my 98 12V 4x4.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski
There was a time when one was lucky to get 25-30k out of front brakes, maybe x2 or 3 out of the rear.
80-150k out of some depending upon how much is stop and go vs freeway driving.

IMHO choose what pads/drum material is best for you.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"You get 145,000 miles out of the OEM brakes? LOL"

You obviously don't own a modern diesel with an exhaust brake.

I also obviously live in the real world. There is no way in hell you are getting 145,000 miles, or anything even close, out of OEM brakes. Or aftermarket either. Not even if you have half a dozen exhaust brakes on the truck and 3 on the trailer.

Internet forum BS.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you have an exhaust brake you should never experience "brake fade".

well that just speaks to the obvious. how can you have brake fade if you don't use your brakes :R

Obvious to you but others may not understand the advantages of having an EB. Having cool brakes when needed is a huge benefit. Emergency braking just one example.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@ScottG, yes you may be right.
Thinking now, the highest miles on a set of Z36 pads I have is on 2 vehicles I have currently. Both of which have about 50k miles on the pads and 60/110k on the vehicles and OE rotors.
Neither was showing perceptible rotor wear in the last year or so when inspected. But both still had a lot of meat on the pads too.
It splitting hairs and likely no one or very very few, at best, have enough objective personal data to say they eat up rotorsโ€ฆ
Itโ€™s simply a non issue.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you have an exhaust brake you should never experience "brake fade".

well that just speaks to the obvious. how can you have brake fade if you don't use your brakes :R
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
^Scott, agree with your assessment wholly with exception of the eats rotors part. I know thatโ€™s what is/has been commonly said about ceramic pads but in my experience is wholly false. At least with the half dozen or so vehicles, trucks and cars, that Iโ€™ve put 100k + with ceramics on anywhere from 0-100k mile rotors. My experience is with OE ceramic pads, EBC red stuff and super green stuff (whatever theyโ€™re called) and a few sets of Z36 power stops. All on original OE rotors.

Even if they did, like you, Iโ€™d take the trade off 90% for getting rid of brake dust and 10% for marginally better stopping power.

I was only speaking to the use of Power Stop pads in particular, of which I have personal experience with.
Not sure about the others.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My front rotors were fine until I had a sticking caliper and went metal to metal, GRRRRRRR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And unlike the guys who brag about having 150k miles on a set of front brake pads, I actually use my brakes and drive like Iโ€™m in a rental most of the time (within reason lol).
I was reminded how nice ceramic pads are yesterday. Kid has been driving this old suv I picked up earlier this year for a commuter bomber, for about a month now to work in seattle 90 ish miles of round trip urban freeways and traffic. Hasnโ€™t been washed in a month.
From 20-30โ€™ away, the front wheels still looked clean. With the old super dust a lot pads, it wouldnโ€™t look like that for more than 2-3 days.
Itโ€™s even nicer on the vehicles we have with intricate hard to clean wheels.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
scootsk wrote:
ScottG wrote:
You'll like the PowerStop pads - mostly.
They have a lot more grip than any stock pads and get even better with a little heat. So if you're in stop and go traffic, they get a little stickier and it takes less pedal effort.
Have a panic stop and you will be surprised - they stop HARD.
The down side is they will eat your rotors. I mean they grind the metal off them so much that they will be done when it's time for new pads.
I also have a RAM 3500 and often tow in the hills. The added stopping force is a fair trade off in rotor life for me - especially when a herd of elk runs out in front of me..

I hope the stock rotors with 50k will last the life of those pads.

Youโ€™re fine unless youโ€™re hard on brakes or donโ€™t know how to drive. 200k on the last Dodge 2500 on original rotors. And they werenโ€™t bad then. 110k on the 2016 with 37s and original rotors that will last a lot longer.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
You'll like the PowerStop pads - mostly.
They have a lot more grip than any stock pads and get even better with a little heat. So if you're in stop and go traffic, they get a little stickier and it takes less pedal effort.
Have a panic stop and you will be surprised - they stop HARD.
The down side is they will eat your rotors. I mean they grind the metal off them so much that they will be done when it's time for new pads.
I also have a RAM 3500 and often tow in the hills. The added stopping force is a fair trade off in rotor life for me - especially when a herd of elk runs out in front of me..

I hope the stock rotors with 50k will last the life of those pads.
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^However itโ€™s as subjective as any other opinion. As apparently some folks can get over 150k out of a set of brake pads and some canโ€™t get to the bottom of the hill or to work and back without torching a set of brakes.
Speaking of brakes, a good practice to get into (not due to pad wear but sticking and material transfer) is if oneโ€™s brakes are even remotely hot. Like even normal city driving, it is best to not come to a complete stop and keep your foot clamped down on the brake pedal. Even moreso if the brakes are actually hot like say stopping your truck n trailer from highway speeds for a red light that comes up last second.
A good % of โ€œwarped rotorโ€ symptoms are actually just uneven buildup of brake pad material on the rotors from cooking the pads to the rotors at a stop.
Good practice to stop a bit early, briefly, then let the vehicle creep up a bit and if need to be stopped like a stoplight, hit neutral and keep zero to very light brake pressure on the pedal.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Scott, agree with your assessment wholly with exception of the eats rotors part. I know thatโ€™s what is/has been commonly said about ceramic pads but in my experience is wholly false. At least with the half dozen or so vehicles, trucks and cars, that Iโ€™ve put 100k + with ceramics on anywhere from 0-100k mile rotors. My experience is with OE ceramic pads, EBC red stuff and super green stuff (whatever theyโ€™re called) and a few sets of Z36 power stops. All on original OE rotors.

Even if they did, like you, Iโ€™d take the trade off 90% for getting rid of brake dust and 10% for marginally better stopping power.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, this thread is special ROFLMAO.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon