Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon ceramic pads question

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey all

Just ordered Power Stop carbon fiber ceramic severe duty truck& tow pads for my 2014 Ram 3500 CC LB dually. Most of the driving in that truck is towing out 14k lb. FW. My question, is it okay to use carbon fiber Ceramic pads with the stock rotors?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
89 REPLIES 89

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've never worn the brakes, to need replacement, before I replaced the vehicle, so can't add much here.

I will say my forum buddy 12v gives factual info!! Even his marketing is coming from experience that he believes in.

Jerry

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like Stoned Panther (what the hell is that :E) is in the minority on this one. LOL :B

A lot of variables at play for brake pad life. I normally get ~120k miles on Motorcraft brake pads. I tow a 22ft boat quite often and a utility trailer with Deere tractor/shredder once in a while with both of them not having trailer brakes so that adds additional wear on the truck brake pads.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Lol, thatโ€™s literally the best part of this forum! Well, thereโ€™s several. From people who ask where to poop ?? if they get a camper with no toilet, to the pseudo โ€œsponsoredโ€ โ€œseniorโ€ members who think belonging to a forum a long time gives them street cred!
In all fairness, 12V is a good dude and knows his โ€œstuffโ€. Even if he lets you know how much he knows, regularly.

I enjoy 12v stories and feedback. Just got to look past the marketing arm once in a while.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I put 126K on my 2011 without touching the brakes. 95K
on my 2011 (sold it early to avoid CP4 problems). My dealer has mentioned that they miss the brake job revenue they used to make.
Bottom line: brakes just are not a problem on these trucks

Ok, 126K. That's a longshot off from 260K LOL, and don't believe what your dealer says as he was probably flipping burgers last week at Micky D's LOL.
My milage was not that high, but the pads had a LOT of life left. I believe they can go that far.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Nothin wrong with EBC, Hawk or Powerstop either.
Iโ€™d give the nod to the first two but quit buying them years ago because Powerstops are IMO almost as good for half the price.
Not sure Iโ€™d hang my brand loyalty hat on any one of themโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Unfortunate that some walk around with a chip on their shoulders these days just wanting toโ€™prove others wrongโ€™ and not willing to take them at their word.

For the record, i also have experienced much better pad mileage on my trucks than when I used to drive a Mustang convertible in the โ€˜80โ€™s. My 2002 YukonXL 8.1 gasser was traded in in 2013 with 180k miles and original brakes (mostly city driving with work etc). My 2013 Duramax was traded in in 2022, again with about 180k miles and original brakes, this pulled a 15k 5er about a third of those miles or more including over the Rockies several times (it did have an exhaust brake which was always used when towing).

My 2022 F350 now has 26,000 miles on it, the majority towing a 16k 5er. Brakes are fine, but it sure seems to put more brake dust on the front wheels than I remember with the GMs, not sure I want these pads to last as long ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, I drive ~63mph on the Interstate pulling, but frankly do 80%+ of my driving on highways on backroads.

GM has been using ceramic pads for quite some time now. The last new Super Duty I had was a 2015 and neither it nor my 2016 Ram personal truck came with OE ceramic pads. They were both dust monsters. Idk about the newer models of either, since all my company trucks have been GMs since that 2015 Ford.
Good news is it costs approximately 1/4 of 1% of the cost of a new loaded SuperDuty, or less than 1 full tank of diesel here in Seattle to make the brake dust problem literally disappearโ€ฆ.

yes Akebono has been an OEM supplier of ceramic brake pads to GM for many of their vehicles since at least 2004, Replacement pads on the box may say AC DElco, but that doesn't mean they are made by AC Delco,

The only non OEM pad I'll use is Akebono ceramic and only if the OEM pads are the black dust monsters (German cars take note). Otherwise it's OEM pads.

Akebono is also an OEM supplier to many other vehicle mfg.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
This thread needs to close.
The peeing contest should be over.
Hell, I believe some people get 250k out of brake padsโ€ฆ.as slow as they drive and as slow as they stop, Iโ€™m surprised they actually touch that pedal. And wouldnโ€™t believe it if I didnโ€™t see the brake lights.
Drivin around saving them brAke pads for a rainy day, or recollecting the time that the brakes overheated in that โ€˜53 Merc cominโ€™ down Deadmanโ€™s Pass and almost killed ya! Lol.

But bragging about that is like bragging about getting 22mpg highway and 16 towing with your big diesel truckโ€ฆ..it just means youโ€™re going soooo **** slow that 69 people a day tell you youโ€™re number 1 as they pass you!!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
MNRon wrote:
Unfortunate that some walk around with a chip on their shoulders these days just wanting toโ€™prove others wrongโ€™ and not willing to take them at their word.

For the record, i also have experienced much better pad mileage on my trucks than when I used to drive a Mustang convertible in the โ€˜80โ€™s. My 2002 YukonXL 8.1 gasser was traded in in 2013 with 180k miles and original brakes (mostly city driving with work etc). My 2013 Duramax was traded in in 2022, again with about 180k miles and original brakes, this pulled a 15k 5er about a third of those miles or more including over the Rockies several times (it did have an exhaust brake which was always used when towing).

My 2022 F350 now has 26,000 miles on it, the majority towing a 16k 5er. Brakes are fine, but it sure seems to put more brake dust on the front wheels than I remember with the GMs, not sure I want these pads to last as long ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, I drive ~63mph on the Interstate pulling, but frankly do 80%+ of my driving on highways on backroads.

GM has been using ceramic pads for quite some time now. The last new Super Duty I had was a 2015 and neither it nor my 2016 Ram personal truck came with OE ceramic pads. They were both dust monsters. Idk about the newer models of either, since all my company trucks have been GMs since that 2015 Ford.
Good news is it costs approximately 1/4 of 1% of the cost of a new loaded SuperDuty, or less than 1 full tank of diesel here in Seattle to make the brake dust problem literally disappearโ€ฆ.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
StonedPanther wrote:
scootsk wrote:
My goodness. I started this thread to find out if using carbon fiber ceramic pads are compatible with stock rotors. I never, in a million years, thought that it would cause the same stir as Ford v. Chevy v. Ram. Lol

I'll see your Ford/Chevy/Ram and raise you an ST/LT Tire and a tongue weight percentage.

Lol, sooo true. But you gotta add in a good ole discussion about how to push the tow haul button and what does it actually doโ€ฆ.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
I put 126K on my 2011 without touching the brakes. 95K
on my 2011 (sold it early to avoid CP4 problems). My dealer has mentioned that they miss the brake job revenue they used to make.

Ok, 126K. That's a longshot off from 260K LOL, and don't believe what your dealer says as he was probably flipping burgers last week at Micky D's LOL.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
2001 was the first year for GM upgraded brakes in the 2500/3500 class. I put 126K on my 2011 without touching the brakes. 95K
on my 2011 (sold it early to avoid CP4 problems). Only about 13K on my 2020 so far. But as massive as those brakes are they will likely be the best yet. My dealer has mentioned that they miss the brake job revenue they used to make.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
scootsk wrote:
My goodness. I started this thread to find out if using carbon fiber ceramic pads are compatible with stock rotors. I never, in a million years, thought that it would cause the same stir as Ford v. Chevy v. Ram. Lol

I'll see your Ford/Chevy/Ram and raise you an ST/LT Tire and a tongue weight percentage.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, you just can't trust all these liars. FWIW the head wrench turner at any dealer was probably flipping burgers at Micky D's yesterday.

Kind of boils down to "You're wrong" vs "All these other people are liars". Hmm, that's a tough one.

Yep, just can't trust em LOL.

"My sons 2004 duramax has 260K miles on it with the OEM pads and I suspect they will go another 50K. And I'm not the only one. 3 others I know with GM 3/4 ton trucks have ALL passed 250K on the original brakes. And even with that miles the rotors show very little wear."

That's 260,000 miles claimed and potentially 310,000 miles from factory OEM brake pads. Undisputed proof I would say. I feel really bad for Aftermarket pad manufacturers and places such as Midas, they're going out of business soon.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
scootsk wrote:

Stick around, we will debate hitches next.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD