cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Duramax DEF issues

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following a thread recently on duramaxforum.com which is following people that have had DEF problems with their 2011 and newer chevy duramax trucks. I happen to be one of them. My truck is in the shop for the second time, first time they replaced the NOX sensor. 300 miles later it is back in for DEF issues and I won't know something til next week. I was wondering how wide spread it was because it is a 36 page thread and growing on duramaxforum. I would like to hear from anyone on here that has the DEF version Duramax and whether or not you have had any problems.

I was thinking maybe we could post here what your year your DEF duramax is and whether you have had problems or not, and the mileage of such problems or hopefully the mileage of trucks with no problems.

I am trying to figure out if I should keep this truck or not.

Thanks

I absolutely love this truck except when it breaks down!

2011 duramax 24k CEL NOX sensor replaced

300 miles later back in shop for DEF issue
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
71 REPLIES 71

Julie951
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 2023 Chevy duramax and my truck is at 12,500 miles and in shop cause the def sensor just went out

Guessing no one that replied 19 years ago cares. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck has less than 1400 miles on it, so haven't added DEF yet. But there has also been a lot of discussion about the shelf life of DEF. Based on the last 10 yrs of driving, I average about 8k miles per year and a full DEF tank might last me 7 months. Seems to me, why worry about the shelf life of an unopened jug and then let the fluid sit in the DEF tank for 6 months? So, I don't plan on filling it unless I'm headed out on a long trip. Otherwise, I will just add a gal. whenever the warning message appears. Time will tell.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
There was a bulletin issued for these trucks that said to add 3 gal of def when the dic said you have 1000 mi left so as not to overfill. This is what i do except i never get a 1000 mi warning instead its around 300 that i get the warning.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Well thank goodness it wasn't the DEF that made my CEL come on for the third time in a few hundred miles. The dealer just called and said it was a transmission code!! They will be working on it tomorrow morning. I will be interested to see what that is about.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
hoopers wrote:
2011 chevy, 35,000 miles.

One problem I have found, when filling up the DEF tank, is that its hard to get the last gallon or so of DEF into the tank, as it has trouble getting the air out of the tank, as the fluid is being poured in.

Try filling next time while parked on an incline. The filler and breather tubes are located on the front of the tank.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will try that next time.
2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
hoopers wrote:

One problem I have found, when filling up the DEF tank, is that its hard to get the last gallon or so of DEF into the tank, as it has trouble getting the air out of the tank, as the fluid is being poured in.

Try filling next time while parked on an incline. The filler and breather tubes are located on the front of the tank.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Reading things like this does cause me to think that our next truck will be a gasser. It would be terrible to spend $50,000+ on a truck that can tow most anything only to end up sitting parked on the side of the road.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
you're only supposed to add 5 gallons to an empty DEF tank. It needs to have room to freeze and 4500 miles is about right for 5 gallons of urea; usage is 1-1.25% of fuel used.

hoopers
Explorer
Explorer

Several DEF issues:

-replaced sprayer nozzle
-multiple reprograms attempting to make my def last longer than 1200 miles. Dealer claims one must fill the whole tank up completely, or it doesn't reset itself correctly, whatever that means.
It seems to be fixed now, though I only get 4500 miles on my def tank. Decided not to worry about it anymore.

2014 Winnebego Vista 30T
2017 Ford Expedition
Texas gulf coast, Colorado, or on the road camping somewhere

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Click on my profile for my picture.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
OK, well that would make sense if he's a GM employee. I know they are not yet available to general public or at dealers yet.

Can either of you guys post some pics? I know there are a lot of guys over at the Duramax Forum that would be interested.

My understanding is the 2015's retain the same powertrain/chassis as the current LML trucks?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
ricatic wrote:
Step son is now driving a 2015 Dually DuraMax Ex Cab...I will get a chance to see how it drives and how nice the cab is soon...

Pic, or it doesn't exist. 2015 GM HD trucks have not been released yet.

Rick has told us his step son is GM employee. My bed tool box is in a 2015 Regular Cab Duramax Dually (in my profile picture).

:B:B:B
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
ricatic wrote:
Step son is now driving a 2015 Dually DuraMax Ex Cab...I will get a chance to see how it drives and how nice the cab is soon...

Pic, or it doesn't exist. 2015 GM HD trucks have not been released yet.

Rick has told us his step son is GM employee. My bed tool box is in a 2015 Regular Cab Duramax Dually (in my profile picture).
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS