cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Super Duty on order

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I have a new F350 with the 7.3 liter on order. Its probably going to be 6-8 months for delivery and once we get that we are going to look for a 5th wheel. While I initially saw a lot of comments on here regarding that engine I'm wondering for those of you that have had it for a couple years are you still happy with it as a tow vehicle? We are probably going to look for something in the 10-12000 lb category. TIA
58 REPLIES 58

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the new F350 is in the shop already. Had the Bedliner installed and the next day the back up camera quit working. Took it back to the bedliner place and they they checked the connections and said it was all good and that I should take it to a dealer. They also said if it was their issue they'd certainly take care of it. Took it to the dealer and its a bad wiring harness. They were supposed to have a new one on Wednesday and they got the wrong one. Then they were supposed to have a new one today and it didn't come in, maybe next Tuesday. The irony is that I'm getting much better service from the place that did the $500 bed liner than I am from the place that sold me a $70k truck. The first day I had it at the dealer the bed liner shop gave me a loaner because we didn't know if it was their issue or not. After they determined it was a ford issue they told me I could keep using their demo until the truck was fixed. I didn't feel they needed to do that and returned their vehicle. Sent a email to my salesman and asked if had something I could use and it's been crickets, no response.
When I bought it it was also missing one of the small covers for the 5th wheel puck. He said he'd get it on order and I haven't heard anything in 5 weeks. Cripes, I could've ordered one from Amazon and had it in 2 days.
Maybe I'm getting too picky but that's annoying.

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Hey Troy, that is a manly looking truck for sure. I like the black with the deep gray. I had to special order my Black step bars from Ford ACC, and dealer already installed them when I picked it up.

While I'm not a fan of black wheels, they look great on that truck!

While lighter gray, that new Companion hitch will look nice too.

Hope you enjoy the new truck, and your new FW, when you get it!

Thanks for posting the pic,

Jerry

Thanks. Its at a shop today getting the Line X bedliner installed. The 5th wheel we were going to look at over the weekend got sold on us so we'll have to keep our eyes open.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Sharp looking truck!!
Youโ€™ll be ridin in style!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Troy, that is a manly looking truck for sure. I like the black with the deep gray. I had to special order my Black step bars from Ford ACC, and dealer already installed them when I picked it up.

While I'm not a fan of black wheels, they look great on that truck!

While lighter gray, that new Companion hitch will look nice too.

Hope you enjoy the new truck, and your new FW, when you get it!

Thanks for posting the pic,

Jerry

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
troy t wrote:
vern kelly wrote:
Troyt: thatโ€™s the truck I want to replace mine with. DWR version. Keep us posted on the performance of the โ€œGodzillaโ€ and the options you got. Likes and dislikes.

My dodge still going strong but time is an enemy of us all!

So my truck is relatively bare bones, got the sport and XLT premium package but other than that nothing fancy. I'm liking heated seats so far, the Ford Pass system so I can start/lock/unlock with my phone, used the tailgate step the other day and thats pretty slick, power telescope and fold mirrors are nice primarily for the car wash and tight parking. I do wish I could've gotten adaptive cruise but by the time I ordered the model and the package to get that it would've been another $10K. Why can you have that feature in my wife's base package Subaru that cost less than $25K but not in my $70K truck? Picking up a Companion 5th wheel hitch for it tomorrow so I'm sure I'll like the Ford puck system.

The 7.3 seems very nice, hope the mileage improves a bit as I only have 500 miles on it so far. Love the 10 speed tranny. That thing shifts so nice and smooth, you can hear it shift but barely feel it, even under load. It does shift a lot though! The technology for the screens is getting vastly underused by me. I find the look I want and go with it.
Once we get the 5th wheel I'll update how I feel it tows.

Ford seems to be having a hard time getting the parts for adaptive cruise control, amongst other items. My 2016 F150 Lariet has adaptive cruise but now you have to order King Ranch or above trim level to get it. Massage seats are totally gone from the option list.

Stuff not available on 2023 F150

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
troy t wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
What color is the new whip? Congrats on that new truck smell!
Ya I agree with you. Between the government and apparently the majority of new care buyers, you canโ€™t really buy a bare bones vehicle hardly at all anymore.

I got the carbonized gray and with the sport package it has black wheels so I really like the looks. I'd post a picture if I had any idea how to.

Upload your photo Here and then copy and paste the link.

As far as new trucks being โ€œluxuryโ€, I kind of forget about it. Dog training this week I met a guy with a 2002 Ford F-250 standard cab, long bed, rubber floor mat, standard transmission with 120,000 miles. Too bad it had the 5.4 and not the 7.3.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
troy t wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ya I agree with you. Between the government and apparently the majority of new care buyers, you canโ€™t really buy a bare bones vehicle hardly at all anymore.

I got the carbonized gray and with the sport package it has black wheels so I really like the looks. I'd post a picture if I had any idea how to.

Troy, quickest easiest, google rv.net photo posting, click to site, follow easy instructions.

Sounds cool, I'd like to see it,

Jerry

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
And considering Sport and XLT premium as relatively bare bones is why vehicles cost so much. Canโ€™t complain about price when you think all that is bare bones.
Not you Troy, in general folks that try to compare to the โ€œgood ole days.โ€

Very true. Part of the challenge is you canโ€™t order options Ala Carte. I wanted the sport package because Iโ€™m not a chrome fan and like the paint matched bumpers and things. But you canโ€™t just get that, you have to have the XLT premium package with that which added a lot of things that are nice but I wouldnโ€™t have ordered. Outside of the sport package all I wanted was the 5th wheel prep, bucket seats, and the tailgate step. But I ended up with a lot more and it cost me an additional $5K.
But when you build these trucks online and I see people ordering $85-95K trucks thatโ€™s crazy to me.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And considering Sport and XLT premium as relatively bare bones is why vehicles cost so much. Canโ€™t complain about price when you think all that is bare bones.
Not you Troy, in general folks that try to compare to the โ€œgood ole days.โ€

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
vern kelly wrote:
Troyt: thatโ€™s the truck I want to replace mine with. DWR version. Keep us posted on the performance of the โ€œGodzillaโ€ and the options you got. Likes and dislikes.

So my truck is relatively bare bones, got the sport and XLT premium package but other than that nothing fancy. I'm liking heated seats so far, the Ford Pass system so I can start/lock/unlock with my phone, used the tailgate step the other day and thats pretty slick, power telescope and fold mirrors are nice primarily for the car wash and tight parking. I do wish I could've gotten adaptive cruise but by the time I ordered the model and the package to get that it would've been another $10K. Why can you have that feature in my wife's base package Subaru that cost less than $25K but not in my $70K truck? Picking up a Companion 5th wheel hitch for it tomorrow so I'm sure I'll like the Ford puck system.

The 7.3 seems very nice, hope the mileage improves a bit as I only have 500 miles on it so far. Love the 10 speed tranny. That thing shifts so nice and smooth, you can hear it shift but barely feel it, even under load. It does shift a lot though! The technology for the screens is getting vastly underused by me. I find the look I want and go with it.
Once we get the 5th wheel I'll update how I feel it tows.

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer

1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
troy t wrote:
So we got the new truck last week. Not bad, basically 2 months from order to delivery, much quicker than we expected. Love the truck so far but havenโ€™t really done anything with it. Will be pulling 6-7000 lbs this weekend up to the cabin snowmobiling. Looking forward to how that feels. Then I think we start shopping for the new to us 5th wheel.

Good luck!!! Check the avi forecast(if applicable); lots of unstable snow in many places right now.

Northern MN. Not a lot of Avy danger here??. Wish I was out west though. My son just sent an awesome video from him riding in Montana. One trip to the mountains a year is not enough!