cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-halfton fifth wheel

Idk
Explorer
Explorer

We are new to the rv market, and are looking for a fithwheel camper 30-35 ft. I have seen  the grand design frames issues and I am sure other companies are having the same issues. Also i've been told, by numerous people, to stay away from anything built during covid. My tow vehicle is a HO Ram 3500 with drw. I am NOT interested in a light weight fithwheel. My main concern is weak/thin frames, so what would you all suggest.  Is there a list of fithwheel campers just made for 1/2 ton trucks?  20k budget. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

In my opinion it doesn't much matter who makes it or when it was made. They are all hit and miss. With a used one you've got a better chance of the owner having identified and dealt with the problems, at least. Don't buy one that "just needs" anything. It NEVER "just needs" what they're telling you. The seller is always hiding other, possibly worse, problems by feigning ignorance.

Why are you so concerned about "1/2 ton" if you have a DRW 1 ton? It's not like you're going to be "fooled" into buying a "1/2 ton towable" fifth wheel in the size range you're looking at. If you want to be sure, count the lug nuts on one wheel. More than five? It's not 1/2 ton towable. Only exception to that rule is if the trailer has three axles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

1/2 ton is all marketing and mostly false anyway (you can almost never stay in ratings with a 1/2 ton truck). I don't believe they actually design the trailer any differently. 

While your truck can certainly handle something heavier, more weight is more stress on the frame, so it could work against you.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski

Generally speaking, choose a floorplan, manufacture you like. Keep the total loaded weight of trailer under 20,000 lbs. So a 15-16k total empty weight.

Truck will be fine to around 5000 of pin weight.

Choose your poison.

With a budget your listing. I'll assume used. Look at an Artic Fox my first choice. There are heavier versions, well built lighter ones too

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer