cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Show your mods!!

Mr_Usa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a removeable DVD stand I made out of conduit and wood for the back bunk in our Jayco 23B. swivels and tilted slightly. I also made one that will slide in the post where our regular TV sits for those "Dry camping" days!!

Weather station.

Clock installed above Dinette.

No need to bring a chunk of wood with.

08 Jayco 23B
02 Sequoia SR5 I-Force V8
Equalizer Hitch
The wife, Mrs. Usa
Our son AJ
Norman & his lil Buddy
499 REPLIES 499

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a digital thermostat that had a lighted display and didnโ€™t want a programmable one. I ended up getting a Honeywell RTH5100B from Lowes ($39.00). Bought a package of 2 SPST submini slide switches from Radio Shack ($2.69 for 2). I used my dremmel to cut holes for the slide part as well as for the two screws. The disadvantage to the Honeywell over the Hunters is the switch is mounted to the part that comes off when you remove the face. I donโ€™t plan on taking the face off anymore anyhow. Battery cartridge is in upper right hand corner so cover doesnโ€™t need to come off to change them. I didnโ€™t take pictures during the install (I never remember to do that) but here is the finished product.

Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Didnโ€™t want mud daubers taking up residence in my furnace vent or water heater enclosure and I didnโ€™t want to spend $45.00 for the form fitted covers so I went to Michaels and found some stuff called WireForm which was on clearance for $2.99 for a 16โ€x20โ€ piece of screening material. The stuff I got has a 1/8โ€ mesh.

Here is the stuff placed under the furnace vent plate. The furnace is in operation and has been for about 10 minutes when I took the picture. Wanted to make sure the aluminum screening was durable enough.

Here is what it looks like on the water heater vent opening. That one was easiest as the square screen piece put in by the manufacturer just popped out and back in.

Now I just need to figure out a way to screen off the vent by the refrigerator.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I tied the lights into the same circuit the outside porch light is on. The fog lights only draw 4.5A each and as 90% of the time when they are used, they will be used by themselves. No relay used. The switches are rated for 30A so they are good to go too.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
How did you wire your backup lights?

Right off the battery?
Did you use a relay? they do take a bit of a draw.

Thanks.

Denis

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few more I just did this week:

After trying to back into a dark camp site I decided to add some back up lights to our Roo. I considered tying them into the truckโ€™s backup light circuit but decided to run them separately so in case we wanted light back there without being hooked up we could. I used some fog lights I picked up at Walmart.

While I was in the light addition mode I also added a Blue LED bar (again from Walmart) and installed it above the steps. I think Iโ€™ll add some reflective tape to the edges to really help see them in the dark.

Here are the switches that control both the step LED and the backup lights

When I pulled the step out it had about a half a cup of water pooled in itโ€ฆ So I drilled some drainage holes. Looks like I need to add some more paint around the one hole.

Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

jerr529
Explorer
Explorer
Heres a place to get the clips its not bad
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-Spice-Storage-Organizer/dp/B0002TG3GO
23ss Roo 09
chevy 09 Silverado 5.3 V8 3.73
DW,4boys all grown, GC 5 boys 5 girls ages 8 down to 1

Equalizer hitch
ultra fab 3500 Power Jack

http://community.webshots.com/user/jerr7

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
We got the spice jar clips at Kramer's Kampers in Zion, IL, but I have to believe any decent sized RV center would have them as well. They are held on by double sided sticky adhesive suff. The hooks are all the removable 3M ones where you pull an stretch the tape to release them.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
These are all wonderful ideas and tips - thank you.

We will be taking possession of our new Shamrock 19 in late April and I can't wait to do some of those mods.

Is it not half of RVing: taking good care of the toys we have.:B

-------------------------------------------------------
Denis & Diane S., Pickering, Ontario
'09 Toyota Highlander Sport, Equal-i-zer hitch, '10 Shamrock 19 HTT

-------------------------------------------------------

Allyscia
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to get some of those jar clips. I wonder if they sell them here in Canada? So many great mods, I love looking at all the neat ideas.
Me my Husband + 2 Kids
JDay
Canada
160 Hybrid Kodiak

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I'm for going with the sticky.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

bmeyer44
Explorer
Explorer
I like those spice jar clips...never seen those before!?

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2009 Rockwood Roo 233S I did the following:

Changed the 12 VDC group 24 for a pair of US Battery US145โ€™s with two battery boxes. Looking to make a locking bar for over them to help keep them from growing legs.

Painted a white stripe on the tongue to assist seeing where the center and end of the tongue are when backing op using the mirror

Added a larger swing away grab handle to use in place of the little tiny thing that was stock

Installed two stabilizer bar braces, one on curb side rear (this one) and one on driverโ€™s side front. They really reduce movement when parked.

Installed a Swagman 4 Bike Rack on the rear bumper. We only have two bikes but this helps me clear the spare tire without relocating it.

My wife installed some spice jar holders on the inside of the pantry door. They are at various heights so they would clear items placed on the shelf right up to the front edge.

Spice jar holders close up

I got tired of trying to hold the slideout brace in place while tightening it so I installed a small piece of 1x1 as a brace support

The divider between the Water heater and the storage space under the sofa was only stapled into one piece of 1x1 which was screwed to the floor. Any shifting of the stuff in the storage space caused the divider to fall over. I installed a 1x1 support piece on one edge to help prevent that. Might do the other side later.

A view of the Water heater/storage space divider support

I heard that the camper refrigerators work better with circulation so I installed a small 12 VDC fan in it. It just sits in the evaporator tray on a piece of double sided sticky tape and is wired to the hot side of the fridge light.

Fridge fan close up

We bring our 150โ€™ of hose on a reel with us and to keep it from sliding around I just screwed a couple of cup hooks between the cabinet doors and used some extra long, extra heavy duty wire twist ties to hold it in place.

Nice place for a thermometer

Hated having the keys just tossed all over so we put up some hooks for them.

Installed some of the same hooks for the keys on the side of the fridge for our jackets.

Hard to see the jacket hooks because the slide is pulled in but this is a little better view.

Still would like to add:
-Under carriage rope light and a switch to control it right inside the door.
-Separate outlets for ceramic heaters that would get the power from an extension cord plugged into the camp site pole.
Waterproof outlet wired to the above mentioned heater outlets to act as power source plug in spot. Currently we snake the extension cord through the canvas on one of the beds.
-LED light bar above fold out steps
-Maybe convert closet with just clothes bar to shelves as many have.
-Probaly a few more I am forgeetting right now.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

4Jeeperz
Explorer
Explorer
bmeyer44,
got the soap dishes at Wally World. They are the self adhesive, removable type.
Steve
Steve in L.A.
'04 F-150
'10 Roo 19

bmeyer44
Explorer
Explorer
nice mods 4jeeperz...If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get those soap dishes? the shelves they put in the showers are useless unless you have hotel sized soap and shampoo bottles.
Nice job on the cabinet doors , and I'm liking the sun screen too!
OH GREAT....now I've got more ideas....LOL
My significant other is gonna disown me if I come up with any more mods!:E

4Jeeperz
Explorer
Explorer
We got Mods!
shoe shelf in rear cabinet

new shelving above galley with partitions

new shelf above dinette

new shelf in triangular cab by door

plexiglass "splash guard"

plexiglass on side of bathroom cab with wash rags hooks

added "poo" blaster for dry camping. doesn't use much water.

"poo" blaster plumbing showing 3-way valve to select normal flush or blaster

moved the dinette furnace register to end of dinette seat

made furnace grill door operational and added partition to keep items away from furnace

took out the top flip out sponge tray and cut down bottom drawer to make new short top drawer and made new deeper bottom drawer

made shelf with lip to hold plastic "silverware"

purchased new door, reframed and cut new opening into front dead space for additional storage across front of trailer

this shows the depth and it goes from water heater area on left to far right outside wall

moved the door below the sofa from the center to the far left to access space difficult to get to from outside.

put in removable drawer

we made (she made!) solar shades that we can unroll to block bright sun through clear glass without blocking the view!

used a dowel top and bottom inserted in sewn loops. We just reach over to roll up or down

awning lock (cuz I got freaked out about opening awnings reading the forum)

added second battery

battery selector switch

self adhesive soap dishes that hold soap or shampoo, unlike molded in recesses

other little mods:
-spare tire lock
-spare tire cover lock
-propane tanks lock
Steve in L.A.
'04 F-150
'10 Roo 19