cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
7,968 REPLIES 7,968

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

And how much have we spend guarding and patrolling the Gulf and oil shipping lanes. Not to mention American lives lost since.

O
M
G

You forgot Save the Whales too!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:
saving the world 1 bike ride at a time ! ! !

The only thing your saving is your LEGS and exercise ! !

LMAO ! ! ! !

Lol, but he DID get his Rona booster! Hahaha

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:
You would think that if they're so great trucking companies would be fighting to get them. Why is a tax credit needed? The only thing that comes from tax credits in situations like this is the taxpayer / consumer gets the shaft.
So increased fuel taxes we get the shaft.
And trucking subsidies we get the shaft.

No way to win here at all. Good luck on your lotto ticket tomorrow.

And how much have we spend guarding and patrolling the Gulf and oil shipping lanes. Not to mention American lives lost since.

saving the world 1 bike ride at a time ! ! !

The only thing your saving is your LEGS and exercise ! !

LMAO ! ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:
Perhaps you should scrap the gas guzzling 8.1 van to align yourself better with the folks looking for a handout in the link you provided. Then donate what you receive for it to them.

Solar charging my two E bikes this morning.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pbutler97 wrote:
You would think that if they're so great trucking companies would be fighting to get them. Why is a tax credit needed? The only thing that comes from tax credits in situations like this is the taxpayer / consumer gets the shaft.

You mean those heathen trucking companies that will spend a pile of money and do endless research to gain even 1/10mpg avg across the board? Yeah, youโ€™d think THEY would subsidize the EV mfgs to get these magical tractors that run on fairy dust and unicorn farts pulling their trailers EVERYWHERE!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pbutler97 wrote:
Perhaps you should scrap the gas guzzling 8.1 van to align yourself better with the folks looking for a handout in the link you provided. Then donate what you receive for it to them.

But, but, but something that costs 5-6x as much and does half the work just donโ€™t make senseโ€ฆ.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pbutler97 wrote:
So increased fuel taxes we get the shaft.
And trucking subsidies we get the shaft.

No way to win here at all. Good luck on your lotto ticket tomorrow.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
October 2021 update: According to a recent IMF report, the burning of coal, oil, and gas was subsidized by $5.9 trillion in 2020. This new way of calculating the proper pricing of pollution takes into account the health costs of air pollution and contributions to the impacts of global warming.

Fossil fuel subsidies are a pivotal problem to tackle if we want to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy.

link

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Hereโ€™s why a new $40,000 electric vehicle tax credit for business owners may be relatively easy to get

CNBC

link

Real Dangers of the Diesel Shortage No One Is Talking About

video

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Stsmark it's pretty simple math really. A diesel semi in the US gets between 5 and 6 MPG average with a 80K total gross load. Ergo, it will take about a 100 gallons of diesel to go 500 miles.

Now all we have to do is convert 100 gallons of diesel to MW/H of juice. And we can do this by using this web page: (for some reason RV.net won't let me link web pages today?) (1 gallon of diesel=.0407MWH.

So we now know what average MPG a semi in the US gets and we also know it will take 4 MW/h of juice to get us to go that far in an electric Semi. Well not really because an electric motor is roughly 2x's as efficient as an ICDE.

So we take 4 and divide it by 2 and we get, wala, 2!

So we now know it will take 2MWH of electricity to go 500 miles in our electric semi.

Well, not really. You see, there is bunches of vampires on a semi truck. If you have a refer you have to run a pump and fans to the refer to keep your beer or fish cold. (we surely can't have a diesel APU on an electric Semi!!) Those systems take a BUNCH of power. On my little tiny electric car my 30 mile range car goes down to 25 miles just by turning on the AC. That is OVER 17% just to keep the interior of my electric car cool and not frozen!!!

And it gets really bad when someone turns the heater on. The heater uses so much power it turns on the gasoline engine to keep up.

Just like the set of pots or pans on TV we can say: "But wait, it gets better; there is more!!!" (Or worse in this case) OTR semi's have to run in all sorts of bad weather in the winter. And I think we all know what happens to batteries in cold weather. Yep, storage power goes WAY down. I know my electric car mileage goes way down due to storage loss and using the heater during the winter. I say 20%+ for my car.

BTW, Elon must have some magic battery because he "claims" and 500 miles on a 500kwh battery. Well that's odd, the Ford Lightning (a little tiny pickup) gets about 3/4 of a mile per KWH towing a tiny light trailer on pretty much flat ground.

Now lets sit back and see the goal posts get dug up and moved miles!
I can hear the excuses of the fan boi's now...Reeee, Reeee....
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
150,000 autonomous deliveries in Toronto since 2000, without a fender bender.

These are vans, not semi trucks, they run on gas, so what do they have to do with electric semis? As far as I know, none of the electric semis are fully autonomous, including Tesla.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
you will never see many of these weird overpriced vehicles, if any, on the road. Next back to my comfortable Sunday morning routine. Burp.

$200,000.00 savings in fuel costs over three years.

150,000 autonomous deliveries in Toronto since 2000, without a fender bender.

What does a truck driver earn per year?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.