cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Recommendation for Tow Vehicle

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 F350 with Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65R20 tires on them that will need to be replaced soon. I have seen that they have discontinued these so I am looking for any recommendations from folks on what tires they have and like. I should also mention this is just for road driving/towing my fifth wheel, nothing off road etc...
Thanks

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K
11 REPLIES 11

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I have a 2014 f350 and it was running BFG all terrain TA's now I run Sailun Terramax AT's and I find them a much better tire than the BFG's.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^ Toyo AT and Nitto Terragrapplers are both excellent choices with the Nitto being a better price point and the Toyos being a bit quieter.

Regarding snow traction, both are quite good and Cascade Concrete is about the worst possible combination of barely frozen water and high overall moisture content.

Worth noting, as good an all around tire as the Toyo AT is, for wet and snow traction, siped Toyo ATs are literally on par with dedicated snow tires with better overall treadwear.

That said, if primarily hauling heavy (TC, heavy pin weight etc), that condition will cause quicker treadwear if siped, whereas moderate weights (like a TT) will not.
Barring other factors like driving style and surface/geographical conditions.
In general, aftermarket siping does not appreciably reduce tire tread life in my experience, despite the logical thought that it will.
Just food for thought.
Itโ€™s one of those old school โ€œtricksโ€ that really does work and with zero risk.

I also like the siped tires, no longer buy dedicated snow tires.. you have to be careful on gravel roads though, aggressive driving can cause issues. I just drive slow and easy on the 1/2 mile gravel road we have before the highway.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Hankooks on my DRW F-350 and my F-150. Have been fine on both

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years towing a TT have had great results with LT Goodyear and BF Goodrich tires. This recent winter had excellent results with Hankook Winter PikeX tires driving in moderate to heavy snow, ice and slush from Reno to Sacramento and over the donner summit in steep up an down grades with numerous tight curves at 40 to 70 MPH. Frequent blowing snow and few trucks or cars on the long stretch. No sway, fish tailing or squishy tires at all. Chain controls almost in effect.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 heavily loaded with rear hitch cargo rack and kayak on top. Great fishing at Sacramento Delta near Rio Vista. All is good.

Cheers to the Great Wizard and jeers to the PR at BM

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Toyo AT and Nitto Terragrapplers are both excellent choices with the Nitto being a better price point and the Toyos being a bit quieter.

Regarding snow traction, both are quite good and Cascade Concrete is about the worst possible combination of barely frozen water and high overall moisture content.

Worth noting, as good an all around tire as the Toyo AT is, for wet and snow traction, siped Toyo ATs are literally on par with dedicated snow tires with better overall treadwear.

That said, if primarily hauling heavy (TC, heavy pin weight etc), that condition will cause quicker treadwear if siped, whereas moderate weights (like a TT) will not.
Barring other factors like driving style and surface/geographical conditions.
In general, aftermarket siping does not appreciably reduce tire tread life in my experience, despite the logical thought that it will.
Just food for thought.
Itโ€™s one of those old school โ€œtricksโ€ that really does work and with zero risk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Toyo AT Open Country for the last 30k or so miles in all kinds of towing/hauling/weather situations, and have had only one issue with traction in snow. Mind you I am running 295's and there was a foot of wet snow that turns to ice as soon as it was compressed a bit. No problems at all after adding ballast. Wear has been excellent. Just a touch of tire rub at full lock which happens once in a blue moon.

They are a little pricey, but I'll buy them again in a size closer to stock--probably 275's. They drive nice, and are not real noisy (to me).

I should add that I had Blizzaks on my half ton, and was more than happy with them.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on my second set of the Wrangler AT/S tires and they are great, over 70K on the first set. What is the replacement? If you buy from Goodyear.com they tend to give you a better price. I get 20% off by belonging to USEF. I run Goodyear on all vehicles and trailers but 1 car has Michelin. Have been completely happy with the way they drive and the mileage I get out of them.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Michelins on my TV for the last 20-25yrs, only tires I recommend for a truck
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have Toyo AT Open Country on our TV. The most off road we do is back on forest service roads for boondocking. Nothing crazy because of our FW.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Winter use or no snow n ice?
If a no snow vehicle, canโ€™t beat Toyo RT or Nitto Ridge Grapplers for tread life IMO (unless you get some of the Michelins folks seem to get 100K miles out ofโ€ฆ)
Have a set of 37โ€ Toyo RTs that Iโ€™m as impressed with treadlife as Iโ€™m unimpressed with snow performance. They were on the truck when we bought it and fairly new. Now at 50k miles and even though I had to correct some early overinflation treadwear, they are still at idk prolly 7-8/32.
If All terrain is what youโ€™re looking for, Nitto Terra Grapplers are tops on my list. Followed closely by Toyo ATIII and cooper AT3. Both are a bit quieter than the Terra Graps.

But the reality is tires are expensive as heck, and any good brand name will be just as durable as the next and most all will get decent treadlife for their type.
Compare 275/65 and 285/60 when looking. Similar enough in size and capacity and you may find a better price if not limiting to only one size. Although a few years ago, the 275s were across the board a little cheaper than 285/60s apples to apples.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you do pavement and occasional campground try the Wrangler Workhorse line. Very quiet and built for road use. I say quiet because my two wheel drive truck came with some very good but totally wrong Yokohama Geolander all terrain tires. Sounded like Mickey Thompsons were on it. Now I can hear the wind noise!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member