cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a 2021 tundra 1794 and looking at a 08 w warrior superlite fs2300. Too heavy? Thoughts?

RDAxon
Explorer
Explorer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

blt2ski

IT will boil down to "Do you have the payload!" 

My case, 900 lbs plus 1200 for family of 6, a couple of malamutes at 150 ea, rack on truck, canoe on rack, a few bikes for kiddo's, generator......we needed a 1 ton to pull a trailer with twin 3500 lbs axle, or a max total gvwr of 7000 plus 1000 max lbs of hitch = 8000 total. We in reality needed 3000 lbs of payload. Yes you truck, my 2014 GM 1500 is rated to tow said trailer, but with 2000 lbs of payload, not going to happen! I would be legal on GVW if I bought enough GVW/GCW tonnage, but depending upon the where I am traveling, not safe! I could do the trailer now with current truck, no kids etc. #2 sone bought a 6500 gvwr trailer to tow with his GM1500 recently.....
Reality, both yes and no and somewhere in the middle is the correct answers, ie there is no correct answer. Yes it is a math question to figure out if you are safe and doable. 

Marty 

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Iโ€™d pull it with that truck. Airbags and some E rated back tires and let er buck!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski

IT will boil down to "Do you have the payload!" 

My case, 900 lbs plus 1200 for family of 6, a couple of malamutes at 150 ea, rack on truck, canoe on rack, a few bikes for kiddo's, generator......we needed a 1 ton to pull a trailer with twin 3500 lbs axle, or a max total gvwr of 7000 plus 1000 max lbs of hitch = 8000 total. We in reality needed 3000 lbs of payload. Yes you truck, my 2014 GM 1500 is rated to tow said trailer, but with 2000 lbs of payload, not going to happen! I would be legal on GVW if I bought enough GVW/GCW tonnage, but depending upon the where I am traveling, not safe! I could do the trailer now with current truck, no kids etc. #2 sone bought a 6500 gvwr trailer to tow with his GM1500 recently.....
Reality, both yes and no and somewhere in the middle is the correct answers, ie there is no correct answer. Yes it is a math question to figure out if you are safe and doable. 

Marty 

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

A quick check online (confirm your specifics):

- It's a 7600lb GVWR toy hauler. Our last trailer was near identical and it had a 900lb hitch weight when loaded.

- It appears the 2021 Tundra 1794 edition has a payload of in the range of 1530-1620lb.

It's very common to run out of payload before you run out of tow rating. So a 900lb hitch leaves you around 600-700lb of payload after hooking up the trailer (hitch weight counts against payload). How much will the family weigh (it would be nothing unusual for a family of 4 with teenage boys to weigh in at 600-800lb) ? How much other stuff will you have in the truck bed?

If you are careful, take almost nothing in the truck bed and the family is on the lighter side, you might be able to stay within payload but you will have to strict. If you are over by 100lb, I wouldn't expect death and destruction but you will be pushing the trucks limits.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thank you.  That was very helpful.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad

Its potentionally within the trucks ratings. What is the payload rating of your truck as stated on the yellow sticker on the drivers side door and how much โ€œloadโ€ (total weight of driver, passengers, cargo in the truck, etc) will you have in the truck?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

It's a math problem. What's the rated towing capacity, GCWR, and tongue on the truck vs specs on the camper loaded for travel?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS