cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

Kbob
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVing! I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX with a tow package and a 3500 lbs hitch (350 tongue weight). What is the most weight that I can tow?
12 REPLIES 12

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, if you were to modify your Cadillac SRX like this, I bet you can tow more!

Cute.

Now queue 800 posts on how the owner's manual is gospel and nothing you do changes the towing capacity. Some with all capitals for additional technical precision.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if you were to modify your Cadillac SRX like this, I bet you can tow more!

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides that mythical max tow capacity number, your vehicle also has a rating for what it can carry. The two ratings are greatly affected by each other.

IE:

If you tow a trailer that is at your max tow capacity, you have no room for any passengers or cargo. And, if you fill up the vehicle with people and cargo, you may not have room for any trailer weight.

Here's a link to owners manual for 04 SRX. See the section on towing. Particularly, page 4-51.

Once you know how much room you have for tongue weight, divide that number by .13. That will give a ball park number for your max trailer weight.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The SRX is the same platform as several other GM SUV / CUV, (Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
The question is not weight as much as what....not all trailers are equal.
Now queue 400 posts on weight as gospel, lol.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
3,500 pounds is your max towing weight according to Trailer Life Towing Guide.

and per 2nd chances post, they are wrong.
bumpy

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
You have the typical 3500lbs max trailer weight of nearly all minivans and CUVs.

Trailers with the GVWR of 3500lbs have extremely LOW CCC amounto.
So you end up not being able to take much cargo.

Vehicles like yours are much better suited for towing popups and A-frame trailers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Kbob
Explorer
Explorer
Rob- I have "googled" and found several answers. It does have a transmission cooler. And, I've gotten so many different answers, just wanted to check with someone that might know.

Thank you azdryheat!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
3,500 pounds is your max towing weight according to Trailer Life Towing Guide.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do some "Googling." I found this on the first try.

Towing capacity: 1,000 lbs
Curb weight: 4,164 to 4,302 lbs

If there's a GVWR sticker on the driver's door jam, you can weigh the car at the nearest CAT scales (with full fuel and all occupants) and subtract that weight from the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) to get the total payload left for tongue weight. Unless you have a transmission cooler, etc., you're probably still stuck with the 1,000 lbs. total for towing listed above. It's a luxury car - not a tow vehicle.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Kbob
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing in the owners manual. Even looked up specs on VIN and called the local Cadillac dealer.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Look it up in the owners manual.