cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

bryoderwls
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a 27' Rockwood Ultralight, weight is under 7,000. I was told by a Ford dealer, that wanted to sell a vehicle apparently, that the 2007 Expedition would do just fine. I'm a novice and took his advice. Many of you will realize it was horrible advice. After 4 years of asking camper people, mechanics and just the general public to try to figure out why it felt like I was "floating down the road" above 50 mph, all of a sudden it seems like everybody I ask now says "the air suspension system is terrible for pulling. It will make it feel like you're floating." Now I'm looking for a different truck.

We are weekend/local campers with about a 400-500 mile max traveling. The Chevy is my preference, but since we mostly use the vehicle for every day driving, the 2500 is a gas guzzler. It also is too big to fit in my garage! I would like to look at the 1500, but want some advice about it. We live in Ohio, so not tremendously large hills.
30 REPLIES 30

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
When I upgraded from a 4,200 lbs. trailer to a 7,300 lbs. trailer, I was firmly in the white knuckle range for my 2004 Expedition. Still technically within the truck's specified limits, but too dangerous to drive.

I considered the F150, HD payload, but the $38,000 price tag made me look for a used truck. Buying my $26,000 diesel F350 was one of my better decisions. Tows like a dream, gets decent around town mileage, and I'm covered for any potential TT upgrades.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too went down that that road where I was told you can pull this baby with F150 truck with ease.

I drove it home with no problems whatsoever. Made a few local trips with no problems. Then decided to make a run to Gatlinburg. The bigger hill in VA I did ok going up with some reduced speed and then the next bigger hill down I81 was also not so bad going up but boy coming down the other side was katie-bar-the-door...

I knew the third big hill around Marion Va was gonna eat my lunch big so I just turned around and finally made it back home with my fifth wheel. It still sits where i parked it some five years ago. Makes a great camping at home trailer.

I then got a 4200lbs OFF-ROAD trailer and my F150 doesn't know its back there... Gets great gas mileage whether I am pulling the trailer or not and no high dollar maintenance required to operate the trailer. This trailer has all the modern things inside just a little short of hallway space. WIN WIN WIN as far as I am concerned.

If you can afford the house size trailers and want to fight them going down the big roads then you should also be able to afford the big trucks to pull them is the way I look at it...

I think Its much like the motorcycle. If you grew up on one from being a kid then it is the easiest thing in the world to live with. I think the same goes for pulling trailers. The farm guys do it with their eyes closed it seems. I fought it big time every trip i made with the big trailers...

There is no way I would survive the US82 two lane road in Arkansas meeting up with GEORGIA PACIFIC hugh loaded down logging trailer coming at me at 70MPH with my F150 pulling the 8200lbs fifth wheel trailer. The last thing you would remember seeing would be the Georgia Pacific truck driver with a great big smile on his face...

Just some of my thoughts. You see alot of F150 size trucks on the road pulling the big trailers - go figure... My old Sears LT1000 riding lawn mower spots my 4200lb OFF-ROAD trailer just fine at home as well....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a 1500 proponent, but you are on the high side,your kids are going to do nothing but get bigger, and their toys with them.
Is there a 1/2 ton out there that will take care of you? Yes, but you will need to search for it. The general 1/2 ton buyer is just wanting a truck as an alternative to a station wagon, so dealers stock with that in mind. Give up some bling and look at GM's work truck or a Ram tradesman. These will often have a higher cargo capacity and may even come with LT tires.

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a Ford f150 ecoboost with the HD package or check out the new GMC 1500 if you want a 1/2 ton truck. The tow ratings on them are 11k , the f150 w/hd package comes with 2400lb payload and the GMC comes with a 1900 lb payload. I test drove the new gmc 1500 , interior is beautiful and the trucks drives amazing ! super smooth , quiet , feels solid , and huge upgrade in quality compared to other trucks.

But you should think about if you plan on upgrading to a bigger TT down the road or heavier one ? If thats the case then bite the bullet now .

ceaser_22000
Explorer
Explorer
I have generally the same trailer as far as length and weight and while my half ton with 5.3L 4 speed trans pulls it fine with 4.10 rears I find I run close to or exceed payload rating at the scale my next truck will be 3/4 or higher just in case we upgrade to a fiver, in my FWIW you can never have to much tow vehicle.

bryoderwls
Explorer
Explorer
In the TV are me, my wife and 2 kids. Don't usually have it packed full.

bryoderwls
Explorer
Explorer
In the TV are me, my wife and 2 kids. Don't usually have it packed really full.

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
What payload are you carrying in the TV ? If it's just you and the wife, your payload is good for a 1/2 ton, but if it's you , the wife, 5 kids and a dog , then you will need a 3/4 ton . The TV's payload rating is just as important as it's tow rating.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

bryoderwls
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are great! I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. Thank you all for the advice. The garage issue will probably be there no matter what! I do have anti-sway bars and have messed with raising and lowering which has helped. A couple farmer friends have told me to "get used to how it feels." Sorry, can't do it, I'm white knuckled the entire drive. I've been told that leaf spring suspension will make a big difference in the feel of towing!? I think I will test drive a few different trucks and see what I come up with. Any further advise or suggestions are truly appreciated.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
bryoderwls wrote:
..snip......
We are weekend/local campers with about a 400-500 mile max traveling. The Chevy is my preference, but since we mostly use the vehicle for every day driving, the 2500 is a gas guzzler. It also is too big to fit in my garage! I would like to look at the 1500, but want some advice about it. We live in Ohio, so not tremendously large hills.

Do some searching on these forums and you will find a whole lot of posts asking how they can upgrade their half ton pickup to handle a 6,000 to 8,000 pound trailer. There are exceptions as to any rule, but having done the half-ton/three quarter ton swap, I will pick the one with the most capacity every time. I tow a lot, so towing comfort is very important to me. If I didn't, I might go for the fuel savings of the half ton.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to know your tongue weight, your passenger and gear weight and make sure that combined weight is below your payload capacity. For a weekend warrior, half ton trucks are usually the more economical approach. However, if your tongue weight and passenger/cargo weight are more than a half ton can handle, that takes the half ton out of the equation.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I dont understand the garage issue.....both 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks are the same size in the GM and Dodge lines, assuming we are looking at the same body style..shoet bed, crew cab, etc.

Anyway, I Have owned two GM HD 2500s, and they are certainly hyge gas guzzelers....less tahn 13 hiway unloade and 6-7 towing 8000 pounds.

I would guess your 7000 pound trailer weighs a lot more when loaded for a trip, and I would prefer a 3/4 ton to pull that load.....the 3/4 has a more stable towing ability, bigger brakes, heavier suspension, etc. A much better towing experience, IMO.

My Ram 2500 Hemi gets 9-10 mpg towing and 19-21 hiway empty....rides better than any 3/4 ton I have ever owned, but it is 2wd.

I doubt that you can have too much truck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 3.73, 6 Speed Auto
2016 Keystone Hideout 7500# Dry :B

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for assurance that a Chevrolet 1/2 ton will tow your RV? If so the answer is `probably yes' depending on the model. The tow ratings of the vehicle you prefer will help answer the question more definitively.
I tow 7500 lbs and went with a 3/4 T Suburban with a 6.0 L gas engine. The 3/4 T gives me that extra tow rating cushion and I don't drive it to work. Would have preferred a 8.0 L but they don't make that engine anymore.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a vague statement.. I would get the newest and largest capacity/capable vehicle you can afford... If GPM is important than weigh that in too. I love my ecoboost. But if I had the extra time. I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel.
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

dancoppins
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have anti sway bars? This will reduce some of the "floating" and trailer swaying sensations you might be experiencing. Air bags are also another thought to consider.

Although we pull a fifthwheel, we found many RV and truck salesman trying to sell us something we did not need. I found the truck saleman to be woefully under knowledgeable when it came to weights and towing data.

RV sales people will always tell you that the vehicle you currently have with EASILY pull the unit they are trying to sell you.

I suggest the best advise is to get with someone who has a similar unit and similar tow vehicle and talk with them.......There are to many so called experts out there who will offer their advise as gospel. Research online and watch for responses here.