cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10-2EXCDSE

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
Who has one these Norhern Lites? How do you like it? They look like a sturdy camper. They look a lot like the Big Foot campers. I know they are pricey but the quality seems to be there.
11 REPLIES 11

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I would think long and hard before buying any rv. They are all built lightweight and kinda inexpensively for the weight with hauling factors.

There is no comparison between a boat and a fiberglass camper as the boat is built for seaworthiness with molded in or integrated fiberglass bulkheads, stringers and additional structural members.

A camper on the other hand is limited by weight so there is a limit to adding a lot of engineered structure. I've experienced failures with both northern lite and Bigfoot campers but the failures so far as I can tell are few and are between the 2000 and 2009 models. When they were a bit too concerned about weight factors.

My 03 had a lot of problems, when new, with leaks at the compartments and ABS waste lines. When I saw the work I declined any warrantee work and repaired everything myself.

Therefore the advice about getting a great deal on a lightly used model and upgrading is your best bet. I would never pay the full new price for one as I am too pickey to expect any decent return on a new one.

I feel that any knowledgeable skilled craftsman would readily recognize the need for upgrading and refitting a camper to his specs after getting to know the camper. Buying new is not a panacea and warrantee work at the dealer was not worth the business of dropping it off and then picking it up again.

Just get a nice used one and watch for any stains, water inside compartments, wetness, mold smells and don't stop this practice with any rv and you will be okay. Don't store it out in the open when you cannot keep an eye on it after each storm and make sure you can work on it regularly at a comfortable place and pace. HOAs that have rules about rvs can be bad since you cannot keep a close eye on leaks and moisture levels.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
After five RV's including a Ca. based TC, none can compare to our N.L. Yeah their pricey, but we negotiated a good price and couldn't be happier with our choice. Liked the dinette in the 9'6" better, but the 10-2 cdse has the extra overhead cab. above the dinette, and a larger bath. Out here on the East coast you can't find anything but new N.L.'s, I looked for three years. You would not regret spending your money on a N.L.,it will last you a lifetime. Good Luck in your search.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Were I to buy another TC it would be a clam shell. Sadly my knees are having a hard time getting me into my TC these days so it might be a trailer instead.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadwolf2 wrote:
... The smart man buys a used one and fixes it up. Intellectually I understand that and is what I did years ago with an older Airstream trailer. ...

I paid $1000 for my 11.5 Bigfoot in 2004. Over a two to three year spent another $8000 upgrading and adding features I wanted. I have absolutely no regrets.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Sometimes I think maybe people do not like the molded fiberglass clam shell cause they do not leak as much as other TCs. The sides do not delam, and the roofs do not bubble. Kinda difficult to justify a new TC, if the one you have has minimal issues due to wear. I'm just saying.

Did I mention, I have a 1988 Bigfoot?

Wayne

I have longed for a Bigfoot / NL for a long time. The smart man buys a used one and fixes it up. Intellectually I understand that and is what I did years ago with an older Airstream trailer. But a new one is pricey. I paid half of what a new NL goes for. Hopefully I won't regret it too badly. :S
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

garbonz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 The smallest Bigfoot made and it is incredibly strong comfy and impressive. I assume the NL's are comparable. Much stiffer and sturdier than the many stick built units out there and leakproof, pretty much.

I bought it last year and it had sat unused for 5 years. Took it to the car wash and scrubed it down, waxed it and it looks brand new. Redid the sealant around that hatches and stuff on the roof and good to go for another 5 years.
Garbonzo

Lakota Estate 33SKQ 2008

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a NL 9'6", it is a 1992 and other than the outside looking older it is in amazing shape. The inside looks new. Only leaks you will get are at the openings for windows, hatches and doors and if you do preventative maintenance then you are laughing!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Hgreen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 10.2RR model and love it. It is 11 inches shorter than the new EX models. Great camper, good storage, and definitely lighter weight than most comparably sized campers.
2008 10-2RR Northern Lite
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel DRW CC LB 4WD
Torklift Tie downs, Superhitch and Truss
Rancho Shocks, Fast Guns
Tow 2001 4WD Chevy Tracker

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
Rollin wrote:
Who has one these Norhern Lites? How do you like it? They look like a sturdy camper. They look a lot like the Big Foot campers. I know they are pricey but the quality seems to be there.

I don't have that model, but I do have a new NL TC (8-11QCSE) and we love it.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes I think maybe people do not like the molded fiberglass clam shell cause they do not leak as much as other TCs. The sides do not delam, and the roofs do not bubble. Kinda difficult to justify a new TC, if the one you have has minimal issues due to wear. I'm just saying.

Did I mention, I have a 1988 Bigfoot?

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to try: http://www.northern-lite.org/forum/index.php

Yes, 'clam shell' campers are in a league of their own.