cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v portable fridge/freezer

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for recommendations for a 12v portable compressor fridge/freezer.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
14 REPLIES 14

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

I figure if the Australians use something, and recommend it, it's good for my uses in spades.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with the Engle, Dometic or ARB, they are fine units.

I have an ARB single fridge/freezer chest. I got creative, since the ARB only cools from the bottom, and put my freezer things on the bottom, then a towel * on that, and my fridge things on the towel. I was able to keep the bottom frozen and the top refrigerated, but it was not easy, took trial-n-error and not easy to live with.

I bought an ICECO with two compartments. Each one can be turned on or off independently, or set at any temp independently - so one can be a fridge and one a freezer, or both freezers, or both fridges, or just have one on as a fridge or freezer to save some power when you do not need both compartments.
The ICECO was a LOT easier to use/program than the ARB.

Less than 5 amp draw.

ALL of these mentioned above use the Danfoss compressors that sip electricity, and in my opinion, and many others, are superior to the propane absorption fridges of old.

I got the ICECO and the ARB on eBay, both new. I "made an offer" on the ICECO for $800 and have been happy with it.

* I used a regular bathroom size towel as you would shower with

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Guys in the Australian outback have been using Engel refrigerators for many years. They only have 1 moving part inside. Incredibly power efficient. Will easily go from refrigerator to freezer with the turn of a dial.

I bought one to use in our Jeep while cruising trails. No worries of it draining the battery. It has also been used for keeping our food cool during a recent hurricane in Florida.

I built a digital thermostat control for mine. Details here: http://2manytoyz.com/engel-thermostat.html

Here's the testing done over 27 hours:

It used 18AH in 27 hours:

The magic is the swing compressor. You can read about it here: http://www.roadtrucker.com/engel/engel-12-volt-fridge-freezer-technical.htm

There are many other less expensive brands, but you do get what you pay for. If you need very low power cooling for off-grid usage, you won't find a better/more efficient brand.

Oh, and FWIW, I've given away several thermoelectric coolers that were given to me. 5A draw constantly, only cooling 20F below ambient (not the 30F as advertised). No bueno when it's 95F here. 75F beer? Blah!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Dometic CDF-11 12V compressor unit, purchased from Amazon as a supplement to my built-in 3-way unit. It has performed well for several years. Tiny, but that is all I needed, it fits between the cab's bucket seats, and I am able to lift it even with my bad back.

Before choosing this unit, I read many views of similar products. Sources: Amazon, YouTube, Expedition Portal, etc.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
NRALIFR wrote:
I donโ€™t believe the OP is talking about thermoelectric coolers, the type that uses a Peltier device that can either heat or cool. They rarely live up to their specs, and generally will only cool to about 30* below ambient.

I believe the OP wants to discuss portable 12v compressor fridge/freezers.

:):)

The as far as I know the ARB is a true refrigerator/freezer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a 12v portable compressor fridge/freezer.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations?

I have a Dominic. Purchased on Amazon, ~$325-400.

The one I have has a two digit digital display for the set temperature.
(believed to use a small "DanFoss" DC compressor)

- Mark0.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
That one looks pretty good, thanks.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you donโ€™t mind a recommendation of one I havenโ€™t tried, but I would sure give serious consideration to this one before spending twice as much or more for a similar sized unit.

ICECO VL47

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Rolling Condo wrote:
I have both an Engel 40 qt. and an Edge Star 43 qt. They are about 10 years old and have given me great service working as a refer. or as a freezer.

Thanks, that's the kind of reply I'm after.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I donโ€™t believe the OP is talking about thermoelectric coolers, the type that uses a Peltier device that can either heat or cool. They rarely live up to their specs, and generally will only cool to about 30* below ambient.

Correct.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
I have both an Engel 40 qt. and an Edge Star 43 qt. They are about 10 years old and have given me great service working as a refer. or as a freezer.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've only heard about the ARB Link

The ARB is a true refrigerator or freezer.
The inexpensive 12v cooler/warmer units from Amazon are not effective. I have one somewhere in the garage and it doesn't really cool things. Yes if you put something that is already cold in the unit it sill keep it cold. But if you put a few cans of room temperature soda in there they will take multiple hours to cool down if they ever cool down at all.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Might try Amazon?