cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1983 Bigfoot

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
After spending the past 5 years traveling a fair amount in travel trailers, including 250+ nights in the past 3 years, we decided to switch it up.

The 27ft TT was getting to be too much, though it served us very well. With a move and new jobs, our priorities have changed and the convenience of a truck camper became appealing. Our biggest desire is to explore more off the beaten path and be able to camp pretty much on the side of any forest road, especially here in BC.

So the TT got sold, and I didn't really want to invest much in the camper. I found a 1983 Bigfoot 6.10 Camper for sale. About 1000lbs dry which is a great match for my F150. These campers are high in demand here in BC, so I jumped on this one pretty quick, paid asking price and had in on the truck 24 hours after the add came up, which included a 10.5 hour drive. Didn't even had proper tie downs or anything, just some heavy duty ratchet straps I picked up on the way.

I got the camper cheap, and while in OK shape and I could have made it work, it was showing its 35 years. Instead of trying to put lipstick on a pig, I decided to gut it. I've been thinking long and hard about doing a van conversion, so I was excited about starting from scratch.

Intent is to make the camper pretty simple. We don't need many frills and I want to keep it simple.

- Going to extend the bed to close to a queen size, to better fit my wife and I.
- Small portapottie hidden in a step to the bed
- Camp stove hooked up to a 20lb propane tank
- Small gravity fed water system, or maybe a hand pump. But pretty much a haul-in/haul out. Hot water serviced by a kettle.
- Haven't decided how much electrical I'm going to put in. Most likely 150W solar panel and a couple 27 batteries to power a small dometic cooler, but need to research the power requirements further. Maybe a small inverter for charging electronics.
- Probably just go with battery powered lights. Intention is to not have any wiring behind the wall.
- Maybe a small buddy heater for early/late season trips.
- Outdoor solar shower.
- Most importantly lots of storage to carry out Mountain Bike gear, which is when we'll mostly use the camper.

Just finished gutting the camper. Tonight is starting to fiberglass over all the holes that were made for gas lines, in/outets and going to get rid of a bunch of small light holes around the front and back.

Have to rebuid/bolt the tie downs and jacks, then I'll start framing it up. Hopefully in a couple days.

Going to try to keep updated here if people are interested.

I'm handy with tools, though I'm not a master craftsman, so hoping it turns out okay.

4 REPLIES 4

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jeff
Perfect camper for your F-150. Great find! Keep us updated on your progress.
Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I restored bus conversion years ago and now like to see others doing the job ๐Ÿ˜‰
Good luck on your project.
Your list looks good.
What I would add is electric water pump. You plan to have battery anyway and small addition will make lot of convenience.
The hand pump reminds me sinks on BC ferries.
They have separate faucet for hot and cold water. Both spring operated, so you need 1 hand to hold cold handle, 2nd hand to hold hot handle and how do you suppose to wash anything?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. Keep us updated on your progrese. :C