cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20" TV Tires

Billstar1
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought a new Chev Silvarado 1500 with 20" Goodyear Eagle tires. When doing a little research on the tires, which I wish I had done before buying the truck, found out they're passenger car tires. I'm a little dubious about towing with them. I'm not having much luck finding a rated 20" tire, either "D" or "E". Anyone know of such tires? BTW, the truck has the 5.3, 3.42 re-end and HD tow package. Tows my Jayco Whire Hawk 30 DSRE pretty darn good.

THANKS
BillStar1
Bandera, Texas
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
2015 Chev Silverado LT H/D - 6.0 Gasser
4-Point Equalizer Hitch
23 REPLIES 23

whaletail
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2011 Silverado with tow package. I will be towing a Koala 26cc. About 6000# loaded. Had the Goodyear Eagles also. 28000 miles on the tires and looked like they might get 5,000 more. Went ahead replaced the Eagles with the Michelin LTX MS tires. I tow a bass boat and a pontoon boat also. I've had these tires on another vehicle and they are great tires. Quiet ride and great traction. A little pricey, but I kept my old 20" eagles and sold them the next day for $180 bucks.
Will be heading to Montana from Texas soon with the Koala 26cc. Feel very good with the Michelins on the TV.

www.reynoldsfishing.com

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Starting next week I will be pulling up to 7600# with my truck on 20" GY Eagle LS2 tires. Will post feedback.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstar1, I had an 04 Sierra that came with the factory 20's. I ran 90,000 miles on that truck and about 30,000 of that was towing 6300+ pounds. I also hauled over 2k in the bed many times (not when towing) and never had a tire issue. I hated the Goodyears as they were poor in the rain and poorer in snow. I dumped them at 30000 for a set of Michelin's that had much better traction. My brother has a '11 Sierra with the factory 20's towing 6500 lbs with no problems. I went up to a 2500HD.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
You have to wonder what inspired GM to put a HD tow package on a 1/2 ton truck with 20" tires, a small V-8 and a 3.42 rear end.

I don't think the OP mentioned HD option. Most half tons come with P tires. I do not see the issue.

Actually, he did. Go back and read the original post.

After three times I found it. Funny how the mind plays tricks sometimes reading.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
You have to wonder what inspired GM to put a HD tow package on a 1/2 ton truck with 20" tires, a small V-8 and a 3.42 rear end.

I don't think the OP mentioned HD option. Most half tons come with P tires. I do not see the issue.

Actually, he did. Go back and read the original post.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Brulaz, I have the same idea, hope I can sell mine. those are the tires I had on my last 2 trucks, and they did a great job.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
My truck also came with 20" P rated tires (Pirelli) from the manufacturer. They were of course fine as to weight rating. But when loaded up, they did squirm.

As I'm picky about handling, I looked for 20" LT's and found some slightly larger than stock, but they were very expensive and heavy. Seems the 17" LT's are cheaper than 20's for some reason. Ended up selling the 20" wheels+tires, buying 17" take-offs and mounting Michelin LTX MS/2's, LT-metric.

My overall wheel weight is about the same with the lighter rims, and I was able to sell the 20" rims at a premium so there wasn't that much of a $$ hit. And the ride is much crisper now.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
wow, no one from west coast. just finished a 2000 mile trip Calif and Oregon coast. Kayak over 60 miles. best trip so far. P tires need to be replaced, is it a good time to move to the D or E rated. Are the Michelin really better. I also se the Cooper
thanks. when I figure out how to post pics of the trip I will. Oregon Coast is great, can't wait for the white water rafting.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares - at least you'll look good with "chrome 20s" when you cruise throught the drive in on Sat night with your TT. Actually I have towed thousands of miles with the same tires, seem to be as good as any I've used. I do add a couple extra pounds to the rear tires.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto Bob. I wouldn't worry about it either unless you run into towing problems like excessive sway or difficult to control under heavy braking. P rated tire a sometimes a little squishy for a heavy load. Pulls ok? I would wait until I wear them out & take it from there.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
BF Goodrich All-Terrains come in a 20" tire load rated at D. At least they did a couple of years ago when I bought them for our Sequoia.

I do not have the specific size available to tell you what they are as I am stuck in Rio De Janeiro for work until the end of the week.
I love me some land yachting

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
hello, i have a 2009 gmc, same tires. 31,000. tow a 23 traibazer.
i now need new tires, and have posted same question. hope to get an answer. have not had any real problrms, sometimes a little sway. i did add air bags to help, did make a difference. i was happy with mine, jus wore out. i did max out the air pressure when towing.
good luck
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂