cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Moparbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a 2001 Wrangler Sport, 1st Jeep. What would be the protocol for towing? I would think vehicle in N, 4 wheel lever in N, key on?
Mark
6 REPLIES 6

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
WyoTraveler wrote:
From the Jeep manual:

The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move despite the transmission position. The parking brake should always be applied with the driver is not in the vehicle.

*laughing* Personally when I've completed the hookup and am ready to hit the road towing I release the parking brake in the Jeep -- unless I screw up and forget. I never thought about having to put a dummy driver in the Jeep just so I could do this though.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:

From the Jeep manual:
The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move despite the transmission position. The parking brake should always be applied with the driver is not in the vehicle.

That is written that way for owners that do not understand that both differentials are still being driven by the wheels and both drive shafts are still spinning the gears in the transfer case but the gear that connects the transmission is disengaged. separating the transmission from the transfer case.
( all the gears in the transfer case are still spinning except 1)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
A real caution when setting up a jeep for towing. Be really careful how the base plates are attached to the jeep. the newer jeep wranglers have a unibody there is no real frame. The duffus (not me) who set up our jeep, attached the base plates to the front cross member. Mid way thru our first cross country the cross member pulled loose, and the jeep was loose behind the motorhome. Fortunately I saw it wandering around behind the coach, and got it stopped with very little damage. we then unhooked it and the wife drove it to the next U-Haul dealer and we put it on a car trailer and continued the trip.
We attributed the break loose to the jeep being pulled sideway thru turns by the coach.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 07 this way.
I position the jeep behind the coach.
Place the transmission in park.
hook up the tow bar and lights.
Disconnect the battery.
Place the transfer case in neutral.
Place the key in the on position (to release the steering lock)
Attach the brake cylinder and air connection.
Have wife help check the lights, and brake operation.

Those are the directions in my owner's manual, and a long time experience.
I use a Falcon II tow bar, and the wire harness from "Cool Tech"
Things to remember when towing the jeep, your RV can exceed the turn radius of the jeep's steering. When in tight turns your coach will be thru the turn when you straighten your wheel, the jeep will still be in the turn and maybe 90 degrees to the coach. The coach will then simply drag the jeep sideways thru the turn. this depends upon how long the overhang on the coach is.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the steps for the Jeep.

Flat Towing a Jeepยฎ Wrangler
According to the Jeep manual:
If moving a Jeep by recreational towing, such as behind a motorhome, the vehicle must have all four wheels in contact with the pavement. The reason for this is because internal damage to the transfer case can occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:

Key must be in the "accessory" position:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
Set Parking Brake
Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
Start the engine.
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.
Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
Release the parking brake.

Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!

Note: Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited JK. The bumper face bar can be damaged.

How To Shift Out Of Neutral On A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Once you reach your destination, you will want to unhook the Jeep from the tow vehicle. Here's how to do that:

Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
Shift the transfer case lever into desired position (2-Hi, 4-Hi or 4-Lo)
Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or release the clutch on a manual transmission.

Note: It may be easier to shift the transfer case into position if you start the engine on the Jeep first.

From the Jeep manual:

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There should be some towing directions in your Jeep manual. I believe it is placed in Park and 4WD in Neutral. Your manual will have specific proceedure for setup. If you don't have a manual you can google and possibly find one on the internet.