cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Lincoln Avaitor TV

rg3
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased a new old Gulf Aero Light 19 ft bumper pull camper. The camper weigh 4005 LBs dry and about 4500 loaded with gear but not fresh water. I have a 2004 Lincoln Aviator with a 4.6 L 281 V8 dohc with 110,000 miles. The tow rating on the TV is 7000 lbs. Can I successfully pull the camper, it seems a bit sluggish? Could sure some advice.
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Wow, weird, coulda swore I posted a reply here......hmmmm

Yes that is a suitable vehicle all day long provided it's in good condition mechanically and you understand it's limitations.

Edit, nvm. OP posted the exact same question in multiple sections.
Maybe comparing answers? LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s old enough that I would have all fluids changed, preferably with synthetics.
You have sufficient power and tow capacity (assuming factory tow package). Pulling near 5000# with a V8, thatโ€™s 71% of your 7000# Tow Capacity.
Your concern should be your aviatorโ€™s payload. Stuff and people plus tongue weight might be close, and/or rear GAWR.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will do just fine towing a 5k lb TT. It will feel sluggish, thatโ€™s how it is when towing. A tune from 5 star will take the sluggishness away.
What color is the trans fluid. If itโ€™s red then just have it changed and move on. If itโ€™s brown or black then plan on a rebuild!
110k miles isnโ€™t a lot especially if it was taken care of.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The Aviators have the smaller Ford transmission. While quite suitable for the purpose, it already has 110K on it so expect you'll be doing a rebuild on it sooner than later if you start towing 4500 lbs. A larger tow vehicle would be much preferable for both durability and more comfortable driving. The Aviators are in pretty high demand right now so my suggestion would be to trade it for something bigger and you'll be both happier with how the towing goes and be less likely to have a breakdown.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
110K is not high mileage for a newer Ford V8. If you havenโ€™t changed the plugs, consider that change and a tune. It helps with shifting even with a minimal HP increase. Also, make sure you use Tow/haul which helps with shifting at the right time.

Years ago, I towed a 6000 lb dry weight trailer with a 97 Expediation. I think it has โ€œenoughโ€ power, but itโ€™s not going to be awesome. It was a handful in the wind and your Aviator is even smaller.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My MH is not a rocket ship nor is that a concern. 4 wheeler driving is a concern however, not to mention some motorcycles.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obviously, you have at least towed once with it to mention that it is a bit sluggish..

First, it will feel sluggish when towing, even if you had a 400 HP engine.

Towing takes a lot more energy to get things rolling and that will zap your off the line "hole shots" you are used to when not towing.

While I sort of agree with the small motor assessment, that isn't really all of the issue. You have a vehicle with a curb (empty) weight of just under 5,000 lbs, it will be matched with a gear ratio less suited for towing.

To put this into perspective, I towed a 20ft travel trailer with a 97 F250 with 2valve 5.4 rated 235 HP with 3.73 axle ratio and curb weight of truck was 5,500 lbs.

Trailer empty weight was 3,600 lbs, loaded for camping was 5,000 lbs.. The truck did tow the trailer, was very slow getting rolling from dead stop and 7% grades were a challenge often downshifting to second gear and maxing out at 45 MPH up those grades.

The 97 did tow my trailer, but it was slow, used a lot of fuel and really made the truck work.

2003 changed trucks to a 2003 with same 5.4 equipped similar but for that yr the HP was upped to 265 HP, the 2003 performed better, pulled the hills better and was able to pull 7% grades around 55 MPH with the same trailer.

2006 bought a new truck equipped with 3 valve 300 HP 5.4 and what a difference, handled a newer heavier trailer evem better.

When towing you need to dial back your expectations on how quick it will be in getting started from stop to up to speed. You need to dial back your stopping expectations also, even with electric brakes on the trailer the extra weight will require more stopping distance so if you are used to tailgating folks, don't do it while towing..

You need to dial back your passing expectations, your not going to be able to shoot out into the passing lane and get up to passing speed as quick as you are used to when not towing.

You have now joined the slow turtles so sit back and relax.

With some practice and patience on your part, you will find a sweet spot in getting rolling that your motor and transmission will be happy with.

Don't get me wrong, more motor does make a difference, as it has been said, there is no replacement for displacement..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Five hundred pounds of water, batteries, propane and stuff is not realistic. A thousand would be more likely.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't go on a long trip. Small motor, high miles.....heavy vehicle. You'll be dropping it a gear or two on steep grades.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can probably do it but you'll be close to maxed on payload and the short wheelbase will make for a less than optimum towing experience. My guess is you'll have 1-2 white knuckle towing experiences and be looking to upgrade your TV. My advice is when you do look for a 1 ton SRW as it will open tons of options for your next trailer ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH