cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 1 ton Ram diesel

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
In 2005 my husband & I went fulltime with a large 5th wheel & our new from the factory Ram. We fulltimed for almost 8 years. The truck now has 160,000 miles on it. It seems to run great. Have had very little trouble with it. Now I'm on my own, & would like to go back out on the road using this truck. A new one would be out of my price range. This truck did not have the pac brake installed. It does have tow mode. It always did great, but I would feel more secure with the pac brake. That's the one the truck dealer recommended. I would love advise from any of you with experience with these trucks if it would be a good idea for me to add the extra accessory brake? It will cost $2500. Do you believe my Ram will last? I could afford a used 1/2 ton if it failed, but nothing new. I will be pulling a 24ft camper. I don't want to go with a large one at this point
94 REPLIES 94

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
2freelife wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies & advice. I will feel more confident on grades with the exhaust brake installed. I was mainly asking for advice if the truck was worth that expense because it is 14 years old now. My husband kept it up beautifully. It runs great, so I'll just keep my big red beast, & put the exhaust brake on it. It did great pulling the trailer. I barely felt the trailer back there, but I always felt a little nervous mountain driving worrying about being able to slow down on a decline without overheating the brakes. I plan to travel in the west again this summer, & don't want to feel that tension since it's just me & my two dogs. I could do a lot of repairs, if needed for the price of a new truck.

Best statement of the thread. Good luck and happy safe trails
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies & advice. I will feel more confident on grades with the exhaust brake installed. I was mainly asking for advice if the truck was worth that expense because it is 14 years old now. My husband kept it up beautifully. It runs great, so I'll just keep my big red beast, & put the exhaust brake on it. It did great pulling the trailer. I barely felt the trailer back there, but I always felt a little nervous mountain driving worrying about being able to slow down on a decline without overheating the brakes. I plan to travel in the west again this summer, & don't want to feel that tension since it's just me & my two dogs. I could do a lot of repairs, if needed for the price of a new truck.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I did for years with a 10K 5th wheel (18K combined) behind a 2001 with a 47RE and it was no big deal using a little common sense. What kind of load is she talking about, 24 ft was mentioned which shouldn’t be anywhere near that weight. I would never tell anyone not to get an EB because they are great but whether one is necessary is another question."

Would you send your wife out to tow 15-16k combined to tow I-5 from Redding, CA to Eugene, OR without an EB in a 2500 4 speed auto Cummins ?

I’d have my wife do it. She’s obviously a more confident driver than you are. Pulls I70 through Colorado multiple times per year. Never heard her complain or talk about feeling unsafe.

Your consistent sexist comments about women’s driving abilities, or lack there of, are telling about your personality.

Go ahead and get back to your chest pounding.

I don't see Cummins12V98's comments as sexist, I see them as gentleman, and a concerned husband.

One can have confidence, but also concern. My DD bought a 30' four horse GN trailer, and a 2004 Ram 3500 DRW to tow it with. We had picked up the trailer in Medford, OR and drove it home to Portland using my Ram 2500 5 speed to tow it home. Her 1st trip with her truck and trailer war to Cle Elum, WA yes I was confident that she could drive without issue, but as a dad I was still concerned.

Gentlemen and concerned husband is certainly generous. Change his comments to ask how another race might handle it? Sorry. I don’t see any way to take the comments as anything other than he/a man is a more competent driver.

And we aren’t talking about a 30’ four horse trailer. The trailer in question is something that is less than 5,000 pounds. Or, said another way, somewhere around 1/3 of the manufactures stated towing capacity. Without any aftermarket equipment.

Dodge designer the truck to tow well over the OP’s suggested weight the way the truck left the lot, without an exhaust brake. To think it is a requirement to have an EB to tow well below their tow rating is asinine at best, and with his comments, nothing short of sexist and demeaning.

And, not trying to knit pick, but I’m unaware of a a 04 DRW Cummins 5 speed. It was either a 4 speed 48RE. Or a NV5600 6 speed manual. Both of which would be rated to tow that trailer empty, comfortably.

Bionic Man, the OP, asked if it would make driving more comfortable, I Quote "It always did great, but I would feel more secure with the pac brake."

The simple answer is yes, she would be more secure, is it required NO!

To me and I am sure many, the fact that one would not need to use service brakes on long downhill grades would make driving feel more. secure.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
2freelife wrote:
In 2005 my husband & I went fulltime with a large 5th wheel & our new from the factory Ram. We fulltimed for almost 8 years. The truck now has 160,000 miles on it. It seems to run great. Have had very little trouble with it. Now I'm on my own, & would like to go back out on the road using this truck. A new one would be out of my price range. This truck did not have the pac brake installed. It does have tow mode. It always did great, but I would feel more secure with the pac brake. That's the one the truck dealer recommended. I would love advise from any of you with experience with these trucks if it would be a good idea for me to add the extra accessory brake? It will cost $2500. Do you believe my Ram will last? I could afford a used 1/2 ton if it failed, but nothing new. I will be pulling a 24ft camper. I don't want to go with a large one at this point

I don't think you can get a Pac Brake installed for $2500. I believe you will also need a separate controller to work with your automatic transmission (needed to lock up the torque converter). If you can please post or pm me the info on the dealer that is doing it. I would consider it for my truck.

Exhaust brake may not be needed in some cases but neither is air condition.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have not heard any response from the OP, since she started the thread. She said that she would feel more secure, having the EB, which IMO answers most of what she was asking. The other part of the question, is will the truck last long enough to warrant the expense of the EB. Most seem to think the truck will last, going by her description and mileage. While she may not NEED the EB, for the current trailer, she did indicate possibly going to a larger one at some point. In any case, only she can decide, if the confidence gained, is worth parting with $2500, since she best knows her exact financial situation.

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Have YOU personally towed with a 4 speed auto trans Cummins on 5-7% grades with 15-16K combined load? It's almost like going down hill in neutral. Dropping a gear does not help much! Plain and simple you are using truck and trailer brakes to control speed. But hey I guess that's what those emergency ramps are for.;)

She sad, "I would love advise from any of you with experience with these trucks if it would be a good idea for me to add the extra accessory brake? It will cost $2500."

I don't see anywhere her mentioning money is tight? Nor did she mention a Salesman saying it was needed. I did see where she wanted "advise from any of you with experience with these trucks".

I've done with an old ford 7.3 (no exhaust brake) and I stand by my statement...nice to have but far from necessary.

If cost is irrelevant...I assume she would have just bought a new truck. Of course, she did indicate cost was a factor as she said a new truck is out of her budget, so the relative benefit to cost is important.

She also didn't say she was going to spend a lot of time driving in the mountains.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I did for years with a 10K 5th wheel (18K combined) behind a 2001 with a 47RE and it was no big deal using a little common sense. What kind of load is she talking about, 24 ft was mentioned which shouldn’t be anywhere near that weight. I would never tell anyone not to get an EB because they are great but whether one is necessary is another question."

Would you send your wife out to tow 15-16k combined to tow I-5 from Redding, CA to Eugene, OR without an EB in a 2500 4 speed auto Cummins ?

I’d have my wife do it. She’s obviously a more confident driver than you are. Pulls I70 through Colorado multiple times per year. Never heard her complain or talk about feeling unsafe.

Your consistent sexist comments about women’s driving abilities, or lack there of, are telling about your personality.

I don't see Cummins12V98's comments as sexist, I see them as gentleman, and a concerned husband.

One can have confidence, but also concern. My DD bought a 30' four horse GN trailer, and a 2004 Ram 3500 DRW to tow it with. We had picked up the trailer in Medford, OR and drove it home to Portland using my Ram 2500 5 speed to tow it home. Her 1st trip with her truck and trailer war to Cle Elum, WA yes I was confident that she could drive without issue, but as a dad I was still concerned.

Gentlemen and concerned husband is certainly generous. Change his comments to ask how another race might handle it? Sorry. I don’t see any way to take the comments as anything other than he/a man is a more competent driver.

And we aren’t talking about a 30’ four horse trailer. The trailer in question is something that is less than 5,000 pounds. Or, said another way, somewhere around 1/3 of the manufactures stated towing capacity. Without any aftermarket equipment.

Dodge designer the truck to tow well over the OP’s suggested weight the way the truck left the lot, without an exhaust brake. To think it is a requirement to have an EB to tow well below their tow rating is asinine at best, and with his comments, nothing short of sexist and demeaning.

And, not trying to knit pick, but I’m unaware of a a 04 DRW Cummins 5 speed. It was either a 4 speed 48RE. Or a NV5600 6 speed manual. Both of which would be rated to tow that trailer empty, comfortably.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
2freelife wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

My wife won't tow anything but yes if I had shown her how to do it. I would gear down, pick a target speed (say 50 mph), let the speed build up to 55 then get on the brakes firmly and bring it down to 45, get off the brakes to give them a little cooling time and repeat. Worked fine for me. You just can't set the cruise control and let the truck do its thing like if you have an EB. Where I live hills on main highways aren't limited to 6% like in the US. The Coquihalla which is a 4 lane 75 mph highway has grades up to 8.5%. Anarchist Mountain, HWY 22 from Trail to Rossland all have grades at least as steep and I did them them all with that set-up. Seem to recall 16 from Buffalo to Worland in Wyoming was pretty steep as well.

If there was any snow on the road in the Siskyous you would be foolish to use an exhaust brake anyway. Same goes if there is any standing water on a road.

Tom/Barb wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Having driven a 8500 gal tanker truck back in the late 70's for 3 years, towed travel trailers, boats to 11K on trailer(that push a 3/4 4x4 into and intersection when the trailer brakes failed on and brand new EZ Load trailer), and 5th wheels most of my adult life, I do think I would brag about what you did.

I've driven fuel tanker too, but no matter, it is still how you manage the assets at hand, there is no substitution for knowing your equipment and how to use it.

It seems the OP stated she like the idea of the PacBrake, and she would feel more secure with the addition of the PacBrake.
Wilber1's description of "Brake Management" is certainly NOT what she is looking for. The What If to that system, right at the end of the hard braking to slow from 55 down to 45, you need to stop suddenly, now you have your service brakes HOT, and far less effective. That whole operation doesn't sound relaxing at all!
What about those following you speeding up slowing down, speeding up slowing down, sounds like a recipe for Road Rage!

To me there is nothing more relaxing than lifting ones foot off the throttle and hearing the sweet rumble of an Exhaust Brake, and the slowing effect of the same.

I believe that this is what the OP is looking for, NOT stabbing the brakes to slow 10 mph, then let it build back up then stab again.

I was towing within the GCWR of my truck, I guess the manufacturer doesn't know what they are talking about. You can fade the brakes out on just about anything if you abuse them. As I said, the EB only works on the truck's rear wheels and that can also get you into trouble.

I really don't care about the people behind me, I'm not going to do 70 down a 7% grade just because it is the speed limit and I have an EB.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

And like usual it comes down to name calling.

Care to explain how your comments are not sexist?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I guess all or most of the above posts have nothing to do with the OP as we do not know her experience so what the rest of us have done means nothing for helping this lady. Simple yes it would be good might be the best way to help her.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2freelife wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

My wife won't tow anything but yes if I had shown her how to do it. I would gear down, pick a target speed (say 50 mph), let the speed build up to 55 then get on the brakes firmly and bring it down to 45, get off the brakes to give them a little cooling time and repeat. Worked fine for me. You just can't set the cruise control and let the truck do its thing like if you have an EB. Where I live hills on main highways aren't limited to 6% like in the US. The Coquihalla which is a 4 lane 75 mph highway has grades up to 8.5%. Anarchist Mountain, HWY 22 from Trail to Rossland all have grades at least as steep and I did them them all with that set-up. Seem to recall 16 from Buffalo to Worland in Wyoming was pretty steep as well.

If there was any snow on the road in the Siskyous you would be foolish to use an exhaust brake anyway. Same goes if there is any standing water on a road.

Tom/Barb wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Having driven a 8500 gal tanker truck back in the late 70's for 3 years, towed travel trailers, boats to 11K on trailer(that push a 3/4 4x4 into and intersection when the trailer brakes failed on and brand new EZ Load trailer), and 5th wheels most of my adult life, I do think I would brag about what you did.

I've driven fuel tanker too, but no matter, it is still how you manage the assets at hand, there is no substitution for knowing your equipment and how to use it.

It seems the OP stated she like the idea of the PacBrake, and she would feel more secure with the addition of the PacBrake.
Wilber1's description of "Brake Management" is certainly NOT what she is looking for. The What If to that system, right at the end of the hard braking to slow from 55 down to 45, you need to stop suddenly, now you have your service brakes HOT, and far less effective. That whole operation doesn't sound relaxing at all!
What about those following you speeding up slowing down, speeding up slowing down, sounds like a recipe for Road Rage!

To me there is nothing more relaxing than lifting ones foot off the throttle and hearing the sweet rumble of an Exhaust Brake, and the slowing effect of the same.

I believe that this is what the OP is looking for, NOT stabbing the brakes to slow 10 mph, then let it build back up then stab again.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

And like usual it comes down to name calling.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote: