cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
There's a huge debate about what my vehicle can tow or not. I can't seem to get an accurate answer through Google and I'm getting a ton of anecdotal replies.

Does anyone here have a Jeep Wrangler TJ that they use to tow? Anyone with a Jeep newer than 2006 has a JK and that has a different towing capacity, especially the 4 door models. So anyone out there with a 1999 to 2006 Jeep TJ (not an LJ) with the 4 liter inline 6 cylinder engine (we have a standard transmission and our Jeep has a 2" lift and 31" mudding tires), what do you tow and what's your towing experience like? I'm not worried about fuel economy, our Jeep already does horribly on that when it's not even pulling anything haha.

We have a pop-up trailer that weighs about 1,350 lbs unloaded and a class 3 hitch on our Jeep. We won't be putting anything more into our trailer than bedding. We keep our gear in the Jeep (years of tent camping means we're light packers). We would never tow more than 1,500 lbs because I don't think it can handle that.

We're looking to replace our second vehicle since it's dying (first owners of a 2002 Civic that we've run into the ground) and will be getting a vehicle that can tow between 3,500 to 5,000 lbs but until we find the right secondary vehicle all we have is our Jeep TJ.
15 REPLIES 15

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Wranglers are rated to tow anywhere from 2000# to 5000#, depending on how it is configured. The VAST majority are at the 2000# limit. There is a website I got off the Jeep Wrangler forum that you input your VIN and it will tell you just how that Jeep was built and how much it can tow.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today