cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Ford 6.4 Diesel Info, Coolant Killed Motor 148K Miles

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
A guy that has been full timing near me for the last couple of months has a 2008 Ford 6.4, He is towing a 28 foot Dutchman trailer with one slide so he is not heavy towing. He was mainly staying the Virginia area and had planned on a trip to Michigan. So when he was coming from the Virginia Beach area and was coming back thru the panhandle of West Va area. When I saw him again been about a month, I said good to see you but thought you were going to Michigan, He said he was. Broke down in this area, White smoke out the exhaust and had to shut it down. Had trailer towed back here and truck to good shop in the area. Shop thought it was most likely Head Gasket or cracked head. Saw him yesterday and ask what they found. He said coolant destroyed the engine and he had it towed to a ford dealer and had it replaced there. $17000 was it total cost with labor and his truck has less than 150K miles on it.
You guys with the 6.4's check them good when they get over 100K miles, seeing more and more reports of issues with this motor when the are above 100K miles. Just passing info. From the short time I have know this gut he keeps his stuff well maintained.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!
18 REPLIES 18

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what we did... 😞

But yes it's sad when you take your $20k truck in for service and leave it for dead.
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
OMG
$17k repair bill??? I did a quick Kelly blue book on it. Excellent shape trade in price was $14k for a F350 with leather.

LINK

Think I would just leave it there

That!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Trail-Mate wrote:
I agree, Wish they would have told him the cause. I will ask him again that is if I see him before he leaves for Michigan. He did say the new motor has 3 year warranty. He also said the motor cost 10K and rest was labor and tax. He also said it did a regen this weekend and now has check engine light on, He is taking it back to the dealer today or when the diesel tech can look at it.

I will bet anyone on this site a half a warm Miller Lite that this was the problem.

It happens all the time with the 6.4. :E

It could be other things with this engine, but this is the main problem when you see water in the oil with the 6.4.

Another problem high on the list when this happens to this engine is the cooler. But it will usually take out #8 cylinder and when that happens it makes one hellofa mess and goes BANG because it will hydro #8. :E

On edit I see Bryan brought up a really good site. His list is longer than mine so I will leave it at that. :B

Bingo... However this guy claims this problem doesn't always require an engine replacement. Because of the front plate cavitation problem, it's critical to check your fluids and maintain the coolant system maintenance. A little prevention will go along ways!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Trail-Mate wrote:
I agree, Wish they would have told him the cause. I will ask him again that is if I see him before he leaves for Michigan. He did say the new motor has 3 year warranty. He also said the motor cost 10K and rest was labor and tax. He also said it did a regen this weekend and now has check engine light on, He is taking it back to the dealer today or when the diesel tech can look at it.

I will bet anyone on this site a half a warm Miller Lite that this was the problem.

It happens all the time with the 6.4. :E

It could be other things with this engine, but this is the main problem when you see water in the oil with the 6.4.

Another problem high on the list when this happens to this engine is the cooler. But it will usually take out #8 cylinder and when that happens it makes one hellofa mess and goes BANG because it will hydro #8. :E

On edit I see Bryan brought up a really good site. His list is longer than mine so I will leave it at that. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone skeptical of the OPs claim should really take just a few minutes to do some outside reading. Major problems with the 6.4L are not uncommon, and is probably the sole reason for the lower residual values for trucks with that motor.

Here is a good rundown of common problems:
http://www.fleetservicenorthwest.com/Pages/64powerstroke.aspx

When you factor in the reliability, the poor fuel economy, and performance of the 6.4L to the V10 (pickuptrucks.com found the V10 could outpull the 6.4L on both 7% and 15% grades), its amazing people buy them still. I guess it must be the "Its a diesel so its better" mentality.

Not to mention... $17k would more than pay for a Cummins conversion.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is that the oil cooler went bad and the coolant and oil mixed totally ruining the engine. My work truck, a 2008 6.4 did the same.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Ford 6.0 owner coolant help...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
atvanish wrote:
x2 - my GF's 6.0 Ford went from a $20k truck to a $3k boat anchor overnight once...
One of the reasons why I've been hesitate on a used diesel truck..

There is a pattern here Ford/IH 6.0/6.4!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
x2 - my GF's 6.0 Ford went from a $20k truck to a $3k boat anchor overnight once...
One of the reasons why I've been hesitate on a used diesel truck..
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
OMG
$17k repair bill??? I did a quick Kelly blue book on it. Excellent shape trade in price was $14k for a F350 with leather.

LINK

Think I would just leave it there
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
"IF" I owned a Ford/IH 6.0 or 6.4, coolant would have a filter, and be flushed and replaced every year!
Issues with coolant clogging EGR and Oil coolers cause more issues than anything else.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I had my truck at an independent diesel show last month for some repair work. Sitting on a motor stand was a Ford 6.4. Owner said " that's 14 grand in repairs". I almost passed out.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
No power adders truck totally stock. I do know he had it serviced. But not sure on the coolant. I will ask if I see him again. Just wanted to put out the info that I had even tho limited for those that have a 6.4 to have then checked and serviced. That is a lot of money to put into a 5 year old truck that should have lasted to 300K miles at least with maintenance.This also give others an approximate cost to replace a 6.4 should they need to. The Ford dealer original quote was for 20K he got them down to 17K.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's so much info missing here. Was the coolant ever serviced, was there any power adders, etc.