cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Denali 287RE Problems!!!!

Derrylb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, not too sure how to approach this, but I did not see any honest reviews of the Denali RV trailer. I purchased my BRAND NEW 287RE Denali in October 2012. since day 1, it has been leaking and I have had nothing but problems. Upon delivery, the bedroom slide would not close all the way, and they still can not get it to close. It is in for the third time since I owned it, and I am not very happy. The last time I took it out, the bathroom skylight started to leak about a gallon an hour, some of the rubber from the living room slide started to fall off. The stereo only works with the remote, the salesman told me that the remote control for the slides and stabelizers worked everything, however they can't get it to work everything. I would expect a rebate or something. The RV has been in for repairs for about 2 1/2 months so far, not very good as I've only owned it for 7 months and hardly used it, They should make some of the payments while I sit and wait for them to fix it. I am very surprised that it left the factory with a slide that wouldn't close, WHAT KIND OF QUALITY CONTROL IS IN THEIR PLANT? Sure makes me wonder!!!!!!
13 REPLIES 13

wkrp
Explorer
Explorer
This is something a friend of mine did 10-15 yrs. ago after he had tried everything he could to rectify many problems with a new car (American made)he had purchased from a dealer.

He visited a sign shop and had two magnetic signs made that read: This Lemon was purchased from xxxxxx Chevrolet/Cadillac. He placed them on each side of the car and drove it for a few days around town and the dealership. He then parked it in the dealers lot while he spent a few hours there supposedly looking at other vehicles.

Within one week they had bought his lemon back and made him a heck of a deal on another car.

Bear25314
Explorer
Explorer
I too own a 2013 Delani 287re. This is our 3rd travel trailer. I have had no problems with it so knock on wood.

Please do keep us updated on how this works out for you. Our secound trailer was basically totaled from the dealership after owning it for only 6 months when we took her in to have a second AC unit installed so I know how you feel dealing with a useless dealership. I advice you to start looking up your rights online and also contact the manufacturer. Remember you have a 1 year warranty on her and you need to start making a paper trail and keeping records of all your contact and responses you have with both the manufacturer and dealership. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Derrylb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm picking it up this week, they can't give me a firm date though. The last time I picked it up, the dealer told me that they couldn't get the push out to go in any more(1/2" from closing tight, I told them to spray a garden hose on it. the service guy admitted that it would probably leak. So I left it with them. This was over a month ago. They told me that they had too many NEW units to get ready, Anyway I've decided to talk with the owner next week when I pick it up and get a few things straightened out with their PRIORITY LIST. The dealer I'm dealing with is called XXXXXX. Not very pleased as you all can tell. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
advntrs wrote:
Actually, I don't know of anyone who have experienced leaks in their trailers right out of the box. Ours is 6 years old, and have never experienced any leaks at all (knock on wood).

I don't think your salesman knows what he is talking about.

Over the years I've owned 5 RV's & never had a leak. If that Dutchman were mine I would bypass the dealer and attempt to deal with a factory rep direct. Thor is a very reputable company and for some reason you got a lemon (don't forget the Lemon Laws) and that whole situation needs to be rectified.
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I don't know of anyone who have experienced leaks in their trailers right out of the box. Ours is 6 years old, and have never experienced any leaks at all (knock on wood).

I don't think your salesman knows what he is talking about.
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
So sorry to hear you're having these problems. I, too, was thinking about the Lemon Law. If you haven't already done so, I'd be inclined to send a detailed letter with copies of all your "repair" paperwork directly to the manufacturer...certified mail, return receipt. You should not be having this with a new TT and they need to make it right. If it means replacing the unit, so be it. If they say to return to the factory for total refurb, they need to compensate you for travel time and lost use time. I'd be on them on a regular basis....politely and respectfully, but REGULARLY. How proactive is your dealer? They need to come up with some sort of resolution so you don't end up paying for months for a trailer you can't even use because it's in their shop. IMHO, you need to be respectfully disgruntled and let them all know it.

Found this LINK to a website regarding the "lemon" laws of all 50 states. For the most part, the various state statutes either specifically exclude RV's or only apply to the chassis of a motorhome and nothing else.

Regarding the OP's comment from his RV dealer that "40% of all RV's leak from the factory, no matter the price paid". Kinda makes the whole industry look pathetic, from the manufacturers to the dealers who allegedly are paid by the manufacturers to inspect and remedy any defects prior to delivery. So, I guess no one's doing their job well.........or at all. PS: My Jayco WhiteHawk hasn't had a leak.......yet.

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
Derrylb,

Have you talked to Dutchmen/Denali/Thor or just through the dealer? Have you checked out the Dutchmen's Owner's Site

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/

You might get some help over there.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear you're having these problems. I, too, was thinking about the Lemon Law. If you haven't already done so, I'd be inclined to send a detailed letter with copies of all your "repair" paperwork directly to the manufacturer...certified mail, return receipt. You should not be having this with a new TT and they need to make it right. If it means replacing the unit, so be it. If they say to return to the factory for total refurb, they need to compensate you for travel time and lost use time. I'd be on them on a regular basis....politely and respectfully, but REGULARLY. How proactive is your dealer? They need to come up with some sort of resolution so you don't end up paying for months for a trailer you can't even use because it's in their shop. IMHO, you need to be respectfully disgruntled and let them all know it.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Kalabin wrote:
I would think they are grossly over estimating the amount of units that leak. I have camped all over up here in Alaska and I have not come across one person that has complained of their unit leaking. Typically most fiberglass constructed trailers can only leak at the corners where the EPDM / Rubber roof meets with the side walls or where they caulked around Roof Vents, AC Units, Fridge Vents etc. Most manufacturers will caulk the bajeebus out of those areas to avoid warranty issues.

As for the slide-outs my father actually had one of his beams that supports his super slide on his class C give out. They did a "repair" weld when it was new and sent it out, after two years of use the slide literally dropped about 4" and was starting to crack the exterior fiberglass. However the dealer he purchased it from took his camper in for the winter, ripped off the entire side wall of his camper and replaced all structural pieces required and built it back up. He hasn't had a single issue since then.

My best advice is make sure the repair facility you are taking it too is one you trust. Is the place you have taken too the only option you have? Northwood MFG allows you to take their units to any repair facility of your choosing, you may have the same option with your Denali.

Denali is Dutchmen --> Thor.

I do not believe you have the option of just picking your repair facility for warranty work.

Has to a Dutchmen/Thor facility and one willing to first get it approved and second one that is willing to diagnose & fix correctly.

It comes down to the strength of the supporting dealer, and "they quoting all trailers leak" is not a good sign.

As far as customers getting a unit returned or exchanged due to quality issues, is not regulary heard off here on the forum's. (Sorry to say).

Document, document, and stay after getting the issues resolved correctly. Good Luck and sorry to hear about major truoble with the new unit.

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I would think they are grossly over estimating the amount of units that leak. I have camped all over up here in Alaska and I have not come across one person that has complained of their unit leaking. Typically most fiberglass constructed trailers can only leak at the corners where the EPDM / Rubber roof meets with the side walls or where they caulked around Roof Vents, AC Units, Fridge Vents etc. Most manufacturers will caulk the bajeebus out of those areas to avoid warranty issues.

As for the slide-outs my father actually had one of his beams that supports his super slide on his class C give out. They did a "repair" weld when it was new and sent it out, after two years of use the slide literally dropped about 4" and was starting to crack the exterior fiberglass. However the dealer he purchased it from took his camper in for the winter, ripped off the entire side wall of his camper and replaced all structural pieces required and built it back up. He hasn't had a single issue since then.

My best advice is make sure the repair facility you are taking it too is one you trust. Is the place you have taken too the only option you have? Northwood MFG allows you to take their units to any repair facility of your choosing, you may have the same option with your Denali.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Derrylb wrote:
Yes it does stink, at least it will when the mold sets in in a few years. The sales staff told me that 40% of all RV's leak right off the showroom floor, and it doesn't matter if you spend $10,000 or 1,000,000 they are all the same.

If a salesman's lips are moving, he or she is most likely lying. We bought two brand new TTs and neither one leaked. I don't even know anyone who bought a new TT and had problems with it leaking. Have you called Customer Service of the TT's mfg to complain?

Of course this was said after I already bought it. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their RV? I think we don't have lemon law here in Canada, I'll try to pursue this with the government, Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan is all we can do to deal with issues like this. Has anyone else gone this route to get their money back?

I would not take that TT back with all it's problems. I would call the mfg and give up on the stealer,... er,... I mean dealer.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derrylb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does stink, at least it will when the mold sets in in a few years. The sales staff told me that 40% of all RV's leak right off the showroom floor, and it doesn't matter if you spend $10,000 or 1,000,000 they are all the same. Of course this was said after I already bought it. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their RV? I think we don't have lemon law here in Canada, I'll try to pursue this with the government, Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan is all we can do to deal with issues like this. Has anyone else gone this route to get their money back?

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that stinks....
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle