cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 f150 Ecoboost is a Tracer 3150BHD to much??

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys and gals, new to the forum and new to the trailer life in general.

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 screw with the ecoboost engine and the 3.73 gears. We've been looking at a couple travel trailers and the Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Ultra Lite # 3150bhd has caught our eyes.

The trailer comes in at 6,955 lbs base weight and 706 lbs hitch weight. The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch. I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

We are a family of 4 with a small dog and are looking forward to camping, but don't want to be buying a trailer that's gonna be to much for my truck.

Here's a link to the Tracer 3150bhd
Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
Re-reading the entire thread, I do see you said you have neither maxtow or max payload. The scale information you posted is a huge help.

cman88 wrote:

Actual Weights
GVW-6480
F-3636
R-2844

Did you fill the tank? If not, figure an extra 8# per gallon.

Now you're starting to see the real problem. You've got only 720 pounds of payload left. Since a properly balanced TT should have around 12-15% of its weight on the tongue, you should be looking at trailers in the 4800-6000# range, and that's when fully loaded.

cman88 wrote:

Now I know the tracer is out of the question, but if I laoded all the stuff I put in the truck box and put it at the back of a trailer would I not gain extra payload??

Yes, but not pound-for-pound. Remember, 12-15% of everything in the trailer will end up on the tongue, so you'll save only 85% of the weight by moving it to the trailer.

cman88 wrote:

I estamate 125Lbs of the 6480 was gear. Also we have 2 autos so if we had to I could deduct 125lbs (gear) and 275lbs (wife,2kids) from gvw,payload and put in second auto. So with all that, what is the max trialer I can haul.

Your plan would remove 340# from the truck, leaving you with 1060# for tongue weight. 1060/12-15% = 7000-8800#. Big difference!

cman88 wrote:

Found another one that fits our needs It comes in at around 5900lbs dry with a 750lbs hitch weight.

Be very careful about weights listed in trailer brochures (or given to you by trailer salesmen). Loaded weight will be significantly higher. You've got to include the weight of all options, gear, water, propane, etc., and believe me it's very easy to underestimate this. For reference, my trailer is listed at 5800# dry, but at the scales it's 7400#. Also, I'd ignore the listed tongue weight altogether. For proper balance, 12-15% of the trailer's total loaded weight should be on the tongue. If it's less than that, it probably won't tow well (will tend to sway more), so you'll need to move cargo forward to get more weight on the tongue.

That said, it looks like this second trailer is within your truck's capabilities, if you move the weight out of the truck as you said.

-- Rob
2013 F-150 SCREW 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73, 7650# GVWR, 1826# payload
2004 Springdale 295BHL, 31'5", 7300# loaded
Hensley hitch

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote:

For reference, my trailer is 5800 in the brochure, but 7400 at the scales. And that's about as high as I'd want to go with my truck (I have Maxtow but not HD payload).

mister_d wrote:

Rob, I think your truck and mine are about the same .. our TT runs around 8-8500 and runs fantastic including in the hills of TN. Didn't want to contradict you but just in case you were wondering how much it could handle.

No offense taken, and I appreciate the real-world use-case. I've actually yet to tow any distance with mine. I just got it in January and our first trip will be in a few weeks.

I have little doubt the truck will perform well. I ran all the numbers, did a lot of research, and I'm confident I'll see an improvement over my 2003 Ram Hemi, which also pulled just fine. But the fact remains that in a 1/2-ton, payload can get tight. I smoked the rear-end in my Ram twice, and although I wasn't over my axle ratings, I can't help but suspect it was a factor.

In my Ford (maxtow but no HD), the payload is 1850#. My trailer tongue weight is about 1000#, which leaves 850# for everything else: people, gear, hitch weight, and 35 gallons of fuel. Add it all up, and I'm right near the limit. I'm comfortable there, but there's not a lot of room before I wouldn't be.

-- Rob
Hensley hitch

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
bimbert84 wrote:
For reference, my trailer is 5800 in the brochure, but 7400 at the scales. And that's about as high as I'd want to go with my truck (I have Maxtow but not HD payload).

-- Rob

Rob, I think your truck and mine are about the same .. our TT runs around 8-8500 and runs fantastic including in the hills of TN. Didn't want to contradict you but just in case you were wondering how much it could handle.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:

The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch.

Imagine that.

cman88 wrote:

I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

A trailer salesman trying to make a sale on a trailer? Hmmm. Seriously, the absolute last place to seek advice on towing capabilities is a trailer salesman. Many of them don't know what they're talking about, and the ones that do are lying.

I have the same truck, although you didn't say whether you have MaxTow or HD payload. Even if you have both (which is unlikely unless you specifically ordered it that way), you're really pushing your limits. If you don't have both, I suggest you look at smaller, lighter trailers. Payload is your real concern, so keep a close eye on that.

Also note that the brochure weight of a trailer is fiction compared to what it really weighs at the scales. For reference, my trailer is 5800 in the brochure, but 7400 at the scales. And that's about as high as I'd want to go with my truck (I have Maxtow but not HD payload).

-- Rob
Hensley hitch

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
His payload number is correct for his truck and is directly from the yellow sticker. The website number is the maximum for a stripped down truck.

OP - the second trailer looks like it will work for you fine. Also nice job with doing all of this research and choosing wisely.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

steeleshark
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
Ok scale update.

Went to a certifed cat scale with whole family and all gear (bikes, coolers, ect) and this is where we are.

2013 F-150 fx4 Ecoboost
GVWR-7200lbs
GCWR-15500lbs
RGAWR-4050lbs
Payload-1162lbs
Maximum loaded trailer weight rating-9600lbs
Maximum tongue weight rating-1050lbs

Actual Weights
GVW-6480
F-3636
R-2844

Now I know the tracer is out of the question, but if I laoded all the stuff I put in the truck box and put it at the back of a trailer would I not gain extra payload?? I estamate 125Lbs of the 6480 was gear.

Also we have 2 autos so if we had to I could deduct 125lbs (gear) and 275lbs (wife,2kids) from gvw,payload and put in second auto.

So with all that, what is the max trialer I can haul. Found another one that fits our needs It comes in at around 5900lbs dry with a 750lbs hitch weight.

Sorry for spelling errors,
Thanks.

I do not think your payload number is correct. I did not see that low of number for your truck on the Ford site.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Ok scale update.

Went to a certifed cat scale with whole family and all gear (bikes, coolers, ect) and this is where we are.

2013 F-150 fx4 Ecoboost
GVWR-7200lbs
GCWR-15500lbs
RGAWR-4050lbs
Payload-1162lbs
Maximum loaded trailer weight rating-9600lbs
Maximum tongue weight rating-1050lbs

Actual Weights
GVW-6480
F-3636
R-2844

Now I know the tracer is out of the question, but if I laoded all the stuff I put in the truck box and put it at the back of a trailer would I not gain extra payload?? I estamate 125Lbs of the 6480 was gear.

Also we have 2 autos so if we had to I could deduct 125lbs (gear) and 275lbs (wife,2kids) from gvw,payload and put in second auto.

So with all that, what is the max trialer I can haul. Found another one that fits our needs It comes in at around 5900lbs dry with a 750lbs hitch weight.

Sorry for spelling errors,
Thanks.

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Keep in mind that when using a WDH, only about 80% of TW goes onto the TV axles. So while loaded TW tends to go up by 150 pounds, that 150 pounds comes back off. Stick to TTS under 600 pounds dry TW, 5-6k dry. Get a good WDH with integrated sway control. Load as much in the TT and not in the truck bed. Happy camping!

Yep this is the plan.

cman88
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update. After reading Mike Up's reply I was in the corner with my tail between my legs for the last couple of days. Hard to believe that a Honda CRV has more payload the my truck:(

I have come to the fact that the Tracer is way to much trailer for my truck. Sad that I had to come here to get that answer. You would've thought that the highly praised local travel trailer dealer would try and sell me a trailer WAY to big for me to haul legally.

I have my truck full of fuel and most of the gear we would take camping. Me and the boy are gonna take the truck to the scales tomorrow. Ill keep you all updated.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that when using a WDH, only about 80% of TW goes onto the TV axles. So while loaded TW tends to go up by 150 pounds, that 150 pounds comes back off. Stick to TTS under 600 pounds dry TW, 5-6k dry. Get a good WDH with integrated sway control. Load as much in the TT and not in the truck bed. Happy camping!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

c4s
Explorer
Explorer

Payload sticker 1162lbs and I'm sure I don't have the max tow. Looking at the window sticker I have the trailer tow package, it looks like it's standard on the fx4. Looks like I also have the 7200 GVWR package.

Thanks for all the help on this. Our goal for this trailer was to get a seasonal site next year to park it on, but this year we have 3 different week long trips planed. I know the truck will pull the trailer, but will I be legal and comfortable doing it is the question.

If I could find a trailer with the same layout but 3 feet shorter/lighter we wouldn't be having this talk.

If you're going seasonal next year buy the trailer you want now! IMO, you'll be over payload by 100-200 lbs. Not ideal but not the end of the world by any means. I see by your signature you're in Saskatchewan so it's not like you're dealing with hilly terrain. Although those 1% grades can be a killer! 🙂

Pack light. Purchase your firewood & beer after you get to your location. Fill up the fresh water tank at the campground and dump everything before you leave. If you can, pack the heavier items in the trailer towards the rear vs. using the truck bed.

Go check out some of the other brand specific forums. (ie. Outbackers, Forest River etc.) You can get some good info for comparison off of those sites as well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It will tow it fine. Towed a lot more weight with my 11 F150 regularly.
Rear springs are pretty soft on the F150. Get some overloads, timbrens or airbags for the back and some D or E rated tires and let er rip. oh and trailer brakes.
it's a long trailer for any truck and if you were towing a ton of miles Id look at a heavier pickup but since you already have that one, use it.
Great 6 sp trans for towing.
I
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

KRR
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have a Tracer 3150BHD, pulled it with our 2011 F350 diesel -- no problem for the truck (obviously) but I knew it was back there - especially if it was windy! Wouldn't want to try it with your F150. It's a big (long) camper, and as previously mentioned, the storage is mainly toward the front of this unit so the tongue will get pretty heavy when you're ready to camp. I think the fresh water tank is also ahead of the axles which won't help if you're towing with water in the tank. We now have a Prime Time Crusader 335BHS 5er, 3000lbs plus heavier (empty) and about four feet longer but tows much, much better.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
cman88 wrote:
Hey guys and gals, new to the forum and new to the trailer life in general.

I have a 2013 f150 fx4 screw with the ecoboost engine and the 3.73 gears. We've been looking at a couple travel trailers and the Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Ultra Lite # 3150bhd has caught our eyes.

The trailer comes in at 6,955 lbs base weight and 706 lbs hitch weight. The sales guy says my truck will pull this without a problem as long as I use an equalizer hitch. I want to believe him but he knows we like the trailer and could be saying this just to make a sale?

We are a family of 4 with a small dog and are looking forward to camping, but don't want to be buying a trailer that's gonna be to much for my truck.

Here's a link to the Tracer 3150bhd
Tracer 3150bhd

Thanks.

You definitely have way to little truck and way to much trailer. That trailer would need a F250 or a F150 with Max Tow based just on hitch weight. I wouldn't even use a Max Tow package truck. That to much IMO, I'd go straight to a 3/4 ton F250.

You are starting with a Ecoboost optioned truck which already lowers your payload by 150 lbs from a GVWR of 5.0L's 7350 lbs GVWR to 7200 lbs GVWR for a Crew Cab 5.5' bed 4WD truck. Then you are using a heavier FX4 which will lower your already low payload.

You have to find your payload rating. It's on the Tread act tire loading sticker on your driver's side door jam. That is what your individual vehicle has as a payload after Ford weighed it after building it with all factory options and fluids then subtracted that number from your GVWR. I'm guessing you have mid 1300 lbs of payload.

OK I was wrong, I see in a later post you have only 1,162 lbs. At this point, I'd give up towing any travel trailer. You have no payload to tow a travel trailer. What in the world do have on your truck as options to take your payload down so low??? I hope you don't have any accessories on your truck at all as a bedliner or cover or cap because your actual payload will even go lower. Caps are ~200 lbs so don't go with that. You'll have less payload than most Ford focus subcompact cars.

I also see in later posts you expect about 700 lbs of cargo, your family and an additional 150 lbs.

Then I see your dry, unoptioned weight of the trailer you want is 6,955 lbs.

Let me show what you need as far as payload and what size trailer you can actually tow with your super low payload.

First, an average dual axle travel trailer has an "average" of 13% of tongue weight. That's an average so it could be higher, most likely not lower. Also with a weight distribution hitch, you distribute an average of 20% of the hitch weight back to the campers axles. That leaves an average of 80% of that hitch weight going to your trucks axles and payload. That again is an average. It could be higher for your truck axles if the hitch is adjusted poorly, you have loaded incorrectly, or the camper by design has a heavier hitch weight.

Then the none max tow package trucks get an integrated hitch that's rated for 1,050 lbs of hitch weight (when used with a weight distribution hitch) or 1,150 lbs for a Max Tow Package truck (when used with a WDH).

Also most brochure weights do not included options and any loaded gear. I've found option can go up to 300 lbs but that varies. Also, going by this site threads and posts, many load at a "MINIMUM" of another 1000 lbs for water, clothes, food, camping gear and such. So for another total of 1,300 lbs but I have seen this number go up to 2000 lbs and more. It all depends but we'll use 1,300 lbs as a minumum loaded camper for your numbers.

So you have a dry unoptioned 6955 lbs camper. Add 1,300 lbs and now it's 8,255 lbs. Now 13% of that 8255 is 1073 lbs for your hitch weight. You are already over your trucks integrated receiver hitch rating by ~25 lbs !!

Now take 80% of that hitch weight to find what's going to go onto your truck's payload. That's 858 lbs. Your family and gear are another 700 lbs. So you'll need a truck that has a minimum of a 1,558 lbs. You are overload by a lot!! Overloaded by 396 lbs !!

To stay within your payload and hitch ratings, you'd have to have a "LOADED" weight of 4,438 lbs.

This is calculated by taking your 1162 lbs payload and subtracting your family and gear 700 lbs from it. That leaves 462 lbs for hitch weight. Now take that 462 lbs and divide by the 80% distributed weight to give a total hitch weight of 577 lbs. Now take that 577 and divide by 13% to get your actual "LOADED" travel trailer weight which would be 4,438 lbs. Now subtract that 1,300 lbs and you have a travel trailer weight of 3138 lbs. That's just a bit heavier than a larger Pop Up camper.

Actually with a very little travel trailer, you'll only have about 700 to 800 lbs of payload for trailer options and water and such. So figure on loading very very lightly and you might be able to get a dry unoptioned travel trailer around 3500 or 3600 lbs. That's a mini camper that will likely only have one bed for 2 people but you said you have a family.

For your truck, a pop up is likely your only alternative to keeping your truck within limits OR upgrade your truck to a 3/4 ton truck and tow what you want.

Good luck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.