cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ford PowerStroke 6.7L

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to 'kick the tires' and I really like the F-350 Ford.
What are you guys hearing about their new 6.7L PowerStroke?
Did they get it right this time?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S
72 REPLIES 72

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
12puma4us wrote:
Just gonna put my input on this topic since I actually own one of these trucks. There is no paperwork that was signed or needed to be signed about any maintenance on the engine. The owners manual does state basic maintenance that should be done just like every other manual I have gotten with a vehicle. As far as the filter needing to be drained at what ever milage, this will more then likely depend on the quality of fuel used.
In my opinion this is a much better engine then the 6.0
I don't dislike chevy nor dodge this was a better styled truck with all the power we needed.
There is plenty of good info about this engine out in the web Joediesel on youtube is a great source watch his videos.
Test drive the trucks if you are really serious wait till all the engines are out and test drive them all and then make a decision.

+1 We just got back from 4800 miles with our 2013 6.7. What a gem. Great power, not a hiccup. Does remind me, I need to drain (never got a notice of needing too, but its recommended once a month, IIRC).
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

12puma4us
Explorer
Explorer
Just gonna put my input on this topic since I actually own one of these trucks. There is no paperwork that was signed or needed to be signed about any maintenance on the engine. The owners manual does state basic maintenance that should be done just like every other manual I have gotten with a vehicle. As far as the filter needing to be drained at what ever milage, this will more then likely depend on the quality of fuel used.
In my opinion this is a much better engine then the 6.0
I don't dislike chevy nor dodge this was a better styled truck with all the power we needed.
There is plenty of good info about this engine out in the web Joediesel on youtube is a great source watch his videos.
Test drive the trucks if you are really serious wait till all the engines are out and test drive them all and then make a decision.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Thanks Huntindog. Correct info is nice to have.

In that case, we may actually have our first forum event of a failed Bosch CP 4.2 in a Duramax.

Some avid readers may recall a long thread in the Fifth Wheel part of the forum about a user having truck problems near St George Utah. He was mostly concerned with moving the fifth wheel to a proper location, and the truck was barely even mentioned.

However, out of curiosity I PM'ed this member. He replied back to me his vehicle was a 2011 Duramax and the HPFP had gone bad on it during his trip.

So possibility surely exists it was the CP 4.2. And it was on a Duramax.

VW has been under investigation by the NHTSA for failures of the Bosch CP 4.1 pump in their diesels. Ford and GM I believe both got requests from NHTSA for information about their use of the CP 4.2 pumps.
I read the responses to NHTSA from Ford and GM.
At least the summary version. There is more detailed info that one can get, but when I tried, my computer wouldn't open it.

So from the summary, Both Ford and GM has had failures. GMs rate is said to be higher than Fords, but I "think" that may be only warrantied repairs. Since Ford has been known to not honor the warranty, they should show a lower failure rate than GM which has a much better reputation in this regard....In fact when I last looked into it, there was not a single case on any forum about GM not honoring the warranty.. Ford had several. Not sure if that is still the case or not.as I don't visit all the forums so much anymore. Just the Dieselplace every now and then.

At any rate, I never said a thing on this thread about Fords use of the 4.2 HPFP. GM uses it too, so I don't see much of a difference between the two in this regard.

In the emissions area, the two chose different paths. I think the GMs approach is the better one, but I can see why Ford might want to go the way they did. This is all new to the big 3. Heck up until now, Dodge was still stuck doing it the old way, (no urea) Which both Ford and GM gave up on in 2011.

What probably troubles me the most is the radiator situation. Ford has had trouble with them now since at least 2008.
What gives? It's not like Ford had to reinvent the wheel. It's a radiator. Millions of cars are produced every year with an acceptable (very low) failure rate. But on the Ford forums a common post starts off as "Well it's my turn"

But on the Chevy forum a common post starts off as "LML Head Gaskets" at the DieselPlace. It seams like there's a lot of these epidemic head gasket failures and GM has gone to a cheaper head gasket supplier and/or bolt. What gives? It's not like Chevy had to reinvent the wheel. It's a head gasket and bolts. :R
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:

In that case, we may actually have our first forum event of a failed Bosch CP 4.2 in a Duramax.

Some avid readers may recall a long thread in the Fifth Wheel part of the forum about a user having truck problems near St George Utah. He was mostly concerned with moving the fifth wheel to a proper location, and the truck was barely even mentioned.

However, out of curiosity I PM'ed this member. He replied back to me his vehicle was a 2011 Duramax and the HPFP had gone bad on it during his trip.

VW has been under investigation by the NHTSA for failures of the Bosch CP 4.1 pump in their diesels. Ford and GM I believe both got requests from NHTSA for information about their use of the CP 4.2 pumps.
I read the responses to NHTSA from Ford and GM.
At least the summary version. There is more detailed info that one can get, but when I tried, my computer wouldn't open it.

So from the summary, Both Ford and GM has had failures. GMs rate is said to be higher than Fords, but I "think" that may be only warrantied repairs. Since Ford has been known to not honor the warranty, they should show a lower failure rate than GM which has a much better reputation in this regard....In fact when I last looked into it, there was not a single case on any forum about GM not honoring the warranty.. Ford had several. Not sure if that is still the case or not.as I don't visit all the forums so much anymore. Just the Dieselplace every now and then.

At any rate, I never said a thing on this thread about Fords use of the 4.2 HPFP. GM uses it too, so I don't see much of a difference between the two in this regard.

In the emissions area, the two chose different paths. I think the GMs approach is the better one, but I can see why Ford might want to go the way they did. This is all new to the big 3. Heck up until now, Dodge was still stuck doing it the old way, (no urea) Which both Ford and GM gave up on in 2011.

What probably troubles me the most is the radiator situation. Ford has had trouble with them now since at least 2008.
What gives? It's not like Ford had to reinvent the wheel. It's a radiator. Millions of cars are produced every year with an acceptable (very low) failure rate. But on the Ford forums a common post starts off as "Well it's my turn"
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Ford also has some maintainence requirements that the other two do not..

Antifreeze needs to be tested often using the proper kit.. There is more than one available, and even the dealers sometimes get it wrong. This actually has a message that pops up on the DIC.

The fuel filter needs to drained IIRC every 3 weeks

Ford STRONGLY recommends in writing that you use their PM 22 fuel additive religiously. Some have even had to sign a paper about this on delivery.

And Ford seems to have forgotten how to make a radiator that doesn't leak. And they are VERY proud of the replacements that they sell. Which still leak.

This is the bull chit part of the Ferd diesels. Only got 110k mi on my Cummins, but all it gets is oil and fuel filter changes every 8-10k, air filters as needed, changed the coolant at 100k, that's it.
Never drained the fuel filter, heck I dont even drain the bowl to change filters. Use a shot of Power Service once in a blue moon, not convinced I need to, but somehow I spend $10 at Autozone once a year and buy a bottle and add toa few tanks jsut for the heck of it.
That's it.....

I guess you got caught up with all the "Smoke and Mirrors" :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My issue was not in your message...it is in your egotistic message delivery.

I'll try to type kinder next time. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
The fuel quality (lubricity) in the USA is the reason I'm running PM-22A. And since the pump is used by other manufacturers besides Ford, I would advise everyone to use some sort of additive that adds lubricity. We all use the same fuel. And notice that the pump is not only used by Ford !

Since you use PM-22A and recommend everybody "use some sort of additive that adds lubricity," do you know what exactly is in PM-22A that adds lubricity?

You've played this game before with your one-up-manship on those who use the PM22A. You could just say it but you have your ego to flex.

Kerosene - https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us178699us.pdf

Hmmm... http://forums.snowgoer.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25990894/page/2.cfm

I don't believe I quoted you Red but since you jumped in, my question will work just as good for you:

So a few ounces of kerosene in a 20 or 30 gallon tank lubes your HPFP pump better? :h Alllll righteeeeeeee than, LOL, whatever you say. :R

Any studies to back this up?

If you believe that kerosene lubes, (and we know all PM-22 from the MSDS, is a few ounces of kerosene and a few micro ounces of strong solvent) how does that work when kerosene is a "dryer" fuel than #2 diesel?

My issue was not in your message...it is in your egotistic message delivery.
I love me some land yachting

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
you know that the MSDS does not have to contain all the ingredients in the product right? Only the potentially hazardous ones. Plus that MSDS does not list 2-ethylhexyl nitrate that is clearly labeled on the bottle. Probably the kerosene is just a carrier as most of these ingredients seem like they are soluble in petroleum.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Huntindog:

I was busy posting, and did not see your recent post until I was finished.

A question for you. Since your vehicle is a 2011 Duramax, I must assume it does NOT have the problematic Bosch CP 4.2 pump.

It is my understanding that Duramax didn't get this pump until the 2012 model year.

Am I correct or misinformed here?????
The Dmax started using the CP4.2 in MY 2011. So I have the GM version of the pump. Not at all sure if they are identical. Bosch says that it is a platform, and they will build to whatever is spec'ed by the manufacturer. But for the time being I am going to assume that the internals are the same, and just mounting bosses etc are different.
It is interesting to me about the totally opposite views from Ford and GM regarding additives... GM poo poos them and Ford seems to push their own... Could be profit motivated, as theirs is the only one to get Fords approval. I can't believe that there aren't others that would accomplish the same thing.

I have read quite a bit about additives as well.
I have never seen where anyone has determined for certain just what is in any of them. It is all proprietary info IOW, secret. I suppose that one could spend some bucks to have them analyzed, but it would likely be a ton cheaper to just buy it from Ford.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
The fuel quality (lubricity) in the USA is the reason I'm running PM-22A. And since the pump is used by other manufacturers besides Ford, I would advise everyone to use some sort of additive that adds lubricity. We all use the same fuel. And notice that the pump is not only used by Ford !

Since you use PM-22A and recommend everybody "use some sort of additive that adds lubricity," do you know what exactly is in PM-22A that adds lubricity?

You've played this game before with your one-up-manship on those who use the PM22A. You could just say it but you have your ego to flex.

Kerosene - https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us178699us.pdf

Hmmm... http://forums.snowgoer.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25990894/page/2.cfm

I don't believe I quoted you Red but since you jumped in, my question will work just as good for you:

So a few ounces of kerosene in a 20 or 30 gallon tank lubes your HPFP pump better? :h Alllll righteeeeeeee than, LOL, whatever you say. :R

Any studies to back this up?

If you believe that kerosene lubes, (and we know all PM-22 from the MSDS, is a few ounces of kerosene and a few micro ounces of strong solvent) how does that work when kerosene is a "dryer" fuel than #2 diesel?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Ford also has some maintainence requirements that the other two do not..

Antifreeze needs to be tested often using the proper kit.. There is more than one available, and even the dealers sometimes get it wrong. This actually has a message that pops up on the DIC.

The fuel filter needs to drained IIRC every 3 weeks

Ford STRONGLY recommends in writing that you use their PM 22 fuel additive religiously. Some have even had to sign a paper about this on delivery.

And Ford seems to have forgotten how to make a radiator that doesn't leak. And they are VERY proud of the replacements that they sell. Which still leak.

This is the bull chit part of the Ferd diesels. Only got 110k mi on my Cummins, but all it gets is oil and fuel filter changes every 8-10k, air filters as needed, changed the coolant at 100k, that's it.
Never drained the fuel filter, heck I dont even drain the bowl to change filters. Use a shot of Power Service once in a blue moon, not convinced I need to, but somehow I spend $10 at Autozone once a year and buy a bottle and add toa few tanks jsut for the heck of it.
That's it.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know what you end up getting. It should be good for at least a 3 page flame fest LOL ๐Ÿ™‚