cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Lance 1172 Too Shallow for 2015 Chevy 3500HD Bed

dwightmccann
Explorer
Explorer
When attempting to load my new 2015 Lance 1172 into my new 2015 Chevy 3500HD Dually the camper started to sit on the rails rather than sitting on the bed floor. I would have thought the dealer would have known this was a problem. They made me buy a sheet of plywood that they laid in the truck bed. This seems like a poor solution.

I am not mechanical or handy but seems like there should be a better solution than storing this sheet of plywood somewhere (I don't have an indoor place) and shoving it into the bed when I want to load the camper. Anybody else ever have this problem? Is it common? Are there better solutions than hauling a loose sheet of plywood around.

Appreciate any solutions/guidance/suggestions ... except ones about how the solution if obvious, of course! 🙂
Dwight

2015 White Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel LTZ Dually
2014 Lance 1172 Camper - with Everything
http://www.DwightMcCann.com
49 REPLIES 49

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is okay.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dwightmccann
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I hope that "dredging up an old topic" is OK when there is pertinent information to be added, particularly by the OP!
Dwight

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
This thread was started in September 2014.

If the guy hasn't figured it out by now...

For anyone who dredged up this old thread to piggyback their own question, start a new thread.

It was the OP who dredged it back up to report on his solution , always a good thing IMHO . Too many threads die a silent death with no resolve.
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

For anyone who dredged up this old thread to piggyback their own question, start a new thread.
What difference does it make, starting a new thread or continuing an old one? It is not unusual for an old thread to have information that needs not to be repeated in a new thread.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
As a point of reference, our 2013 (in signature) has a side bed rail height above the bed floor of 21 3/4". Also, the opening at the tail gate (rounded stake pockets) is 59 1/2", which is about 2" wider than our AF996. Made for interesting loading the first few times until one gets the hang of it.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
After reading through this thread I think I would just attach the plywood to the bottom of the camper (think lift kit), add a thin mat and forget about it.

Sorry to hear about the change of heart on the relationship and hope you can get the rig out and use it.

We have our first trip set March 4th and can't wait.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

SP1
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been using the rubber bed mat and a 3/4 inch 4x8 sheet of foam board from Lowes.They have different thicknesses; I started out with a 1 inch but decided that, though it worked in providing clearance, it was just a bit too tall. Went to the 3/4 and am getting a season out of each piece.
Probably could go longer but it does compress some and want to be on the safe side. My truck is a 2010, camper a Lance 1017. Height to frame rail clearance may be different than yours.

Good luck and see you out there.
SP, MP,& Ollie
Lance 1071 :C

dwightmccann
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while but I wanted to report back that I decided on using horse stall high density rubber mats. Worked perfectly! I did need a second, thinner pad for the back end. The mats cut very easily with a box cutter so they are easy to form fit to your bed.
Dwight

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I would use either the foam or plywood painted and or sealed and throw a bedmat over the top and just keep it in.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

dwightmccann
Explorer
Explorer
The mats I got are very high density but the camper does seem to be able to move more than I would expect. I was hoping that perhaps a more sturdy turnbuckle would help. The turnbuckle that popped loose didn't loosen, it simply detached at the top due to the amount of movement when I hit the bump.
Dwight

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did you get the hard rubber horse mats, or the soft ones? The soft ones are not the right ones to use and will allow the camper to rock and roll too much.

If the turnbuckles are coming loose, either the camper has too much movement, or you're not tightening them enough. They must be REALLY loose, because I have to extend the screws on my turnbuckles by a full inch before they will even hint at coming out of the tiedown points on the camper.

Proper truck camper turnbuckles have internal springs. I tighten mine until the springs just begin to stretch. It's pretty easy to feel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dwightmccann
Explorer
Explorer
Been just over a year. Due to divorce issues the camper hasn't been on an overnight trip yet! 😞 Will shortly do a one-nighter shakedown and then have a two week trip to Utah to visit a friend.

I got horse stall mats to replace the plywood, just enough to clear the truck bed walls. But now the camper has a lot of play and the turnbuckles don't seem to be strong enough. On an unexpected bump one of the front ones unhitched. For the size of the camper they really don't seem adequate. Are there heavier duty turnbuckles that will work in the tie-down hardware that I have?
Dwight

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
dwightmccann wrote:
I guess I should also note that I have the LineX spray in bed liner ... not that that gives any height, but just to be complete.

I too have the LineX spray in bed liner. It has a sandy finish and is very rough. Not at all slippery. It holds my camper in nicely without a rubber mat, though a rubber mat is a nice option to have and I've used them on trucks with only factory paint in the bed that was VERY slippery.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992