cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Silverado 3500HD-Gooseneck Hitch Package

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering ordering a 2015 Silverado 3500 HD. I see where they offer a "Gooseneck Hitch Package" described as:

Gooseneck Hitch Package (EZr Underbed Gooseneck Center)
GM 2500/3500 EZr Underbed Gooseneck Center, Subkit & 7-Way Electrical Extension Removable chrome 2 5/16 in. trailer ball. GTW 30,000 lbs. TW 7,500 lbs. Includes UNDER BED DOUBLE LOCK EZr GOOSENECK installation kit and SevenWay Electrical Wiring Extension.

Does anyone have this option on their GM truck and can you adapt a B&W Companion hitch to it? Or should I just order the truck without this option and go with the B&W Turnover ball under-bed mounting system and Companion hitch. Any suggestions?
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1
14 REPLIES 14

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
The B&W turnover ball is Part number 1012 same as the 2014 models. I bought a Pollak 7 Pole inbed Connector from Etrailer for around $60, it was part number PK11893-11932
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Sinecure wrote:
The B&W Companion IS a 5th wheel hitch in EVERY way. It just mounts to the gooseneck receiver.
OK, Gotcha!

I use the curt system and works good.

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
B and W hitch for the 2015 is the same as older models. Just did a change over last week from a 2012 to a 15. Wiring too. Part numbers for my truxedo cover were different although the dimensions are the same. Only thing I could see is the front stake pockets weren't exposed. I changed out the clamps for some from an old cover I had and everything is perfect.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to B&W. They tell me the Companion will not work with the EZr Gooseneck that General Motors offers. So I won't be ordering that option as I will be installing a B&W Turnoverball and Companion Hitch.
Just don't think I want to go to a Curt although they are good hitches, I just like the B&W.
Thanks for all the comments.
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BigToe. Good information. I will let you know what B&W says.
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Sinecure wrote:
The B&W Companion IS a 5th wheel hitch in EVERY way. It just mounts to the gooseneck receiver.
OK, Gotcha!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
car2900.... When you call B&W, instead of just saying "new GM factory hitch", say CURT MFG "EZr" gooseneck hitch, because that is what GM is using. It isn't "new". It's just newly available on GM trucks through GM.

B&W will know exactly what the CURT EZr product is, due to research for patent infringement, as the EZr system very closely mimicks the B&W Turnover Ball in many ways, except for three significant differences...

1. The ball shank of the EZr is round, instead of squarish, like the B&W. Just because the EZr is round, however, does not mean that it will rotate. Unlike other underbed gooseneck ball systems with round shanks that are retained by a retractable ball bearing, the EZr round shank does not rotate within it's mounting cylinder. Like the B&W, there is a spring loaded retention pin attached to a wheel well mounted pull handle that passes all the way through the ball shank and the sides of the mounting cylinder.

2. The EZr retention pull pin is "doubled"... as in a U shape on it's side, so that two pins actually pass through the ball shank instead of just one like the B&W. Two pins might be better than one, as one pin is a pivot point, and two pins would prevent pivoting (fore and aft), as well as provide double shear. However, in practice, the tolerances are so close between the B&W square shank and entrance collar that fore and aft pivoting is limited. There are a few YouTube videos in circulation that show significant unwanted movement with a B&W gooseneck hitch, but since those videos were shot above the bed, it is inconclusive as to what parts of the B&W are responsible for the movement. It could very well be flex in the angle iron cross rails, which are similar to the EZr.

3. The safety chain U-bolts to the EZr are thicker, at .675", than the B&W's .445"

4. The side plates that attach to the truck frame are of a different design in the EZr than in the B&W. In certain applications, the CURT side plates attach to the flange as well as the web of the truck frame.

5. The center piece of the EZr mounts with 8 bolts, whereas the center piece of the B&W mounts with only 6 bolts. (Comparing equivalently sized and styled center pieces for similar applications)

6. The EZr offers a 1" high rise ball option, and a 4" offset ball option. The B&W offers those two options, along with several more, including a swivel eyelet, a hay fork, an inverted fifth wheel, a removable ladder rack, and coming this fall in time for Christmas, a partridge in a pear tree. Watch your clearance under over passes on that one.

7. Most importantly, the fifth wheel hitch... B&W offers the Companion, and the EZr system offers the CURT X5 base rail adapter that clicks into the EZr underbed gooseneck. The CURT X5 spider enables you to use a B&W Patriot hitch, if you like the B&W style head, or you can use any other 5th wheel hitch of your choosing, including an air ride hitch by TrailerSaver, or the GM Accessories 20K fifth wheel hitch also manufactured by CURT.

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
Sinecure wrote:

Right, all I was asking was if I get the gooseneck receiver offered by General Motors on their truck would I be able to set the B&W Companion on the receiver without getting the entire B&W under bed set up. I better call B&W.
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

Sinecure
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Voltage 3600 EPIC
B&W Companion hitch / TrailAir Tri-Glide pin box

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
kaydeejay wrote:
Do you have a goose-neck on the fiver already?
If not I would check with the Manufacturer to make sure you don't void the frame warranty if you add an adapter.
No, I don't have a goose neck but the B&W Companion connects to a goose neck ball post.
It's not the hook up in the truck that could be the issue, it's the goose-neck adapter on the trailer.
A fiver/goose-neck conversion (aka ball post) puts a lot of torque on the front of the fiver frame that it may or may not be designed for.
You REALLY need to check with your trailer manufacturer to make sure it is OK, otherwise you may over-stress and crack the frame, which will be expensive to fix and would not be covered under warranty.
Keith J.

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
If not I would check with the Manufacturer to make sure you don't void the frame warranty if you add an adapter.

No, I don't have a goose neck but the B&W Companion connects to a goose neck ball post.
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Keith J.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went with B&W, and bought my in bed plug from Etrailer. I believe the GM gooseneck is Curt.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I would call B&W and see what they say as I think that is a new option and there may not be many out there yet. At least it was not when I ordered ours at the end of February. We have a Trailer Saver hitch so I wound up putting in standard bed rails. We had a Turnover and Companion with our previous truck and I think the B&W has a different connection underneath than other brands.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR