cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 DURANGO RT OR SRT

lprivard
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, we rented a small motor home for 3 weeks and loved it. But this year, decided to go with a Travel trailer.
I never towed one in my life, but will learn.

I want to buy an SUV I can use with the kids in everyday life and where I can tow a travel trailer in the 25-27ft range.

I have to go with Chrysler so my choices are between the Durango RT and SRT (Don't want a pickup)

What do you recommend? I can spend for a SRT if it gives me a clear advantage but if not, I'll save the money and buy the RT.

ANyone knows the difference between the towing package? It seems the same on paper but when I read more, looks like the SRT doesn't have a brake controller for the trailer (The RT seems to have it... am I wrong?) The SRT talks about a 50-50 power distribution and anti-sway electronic stability control... is that also on the RT? And if not, does it really makes a difference?

From what I see, the 25ft-27ft trailer I see I can rent are in the 6000lbs range and in the 600lbs tongue weight.

so the 7200 - 720 of the RT are enough but is it good to have a little more available like the 8700-870lbs of the SRT?

Any thoughts or experience on all this would be appreciated. I'm new to this and would like to make it as comfortable and easy and safe as possible since I'll be travelling Montreal to florida and back in three weeks with my wife and 7-10 yo daughters

thanks
9 REPLIES 9

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Rent another motorhome. Seriously. You want to leave in 3 weeks for a 2500 mile trip with a proposed TV that will be over its ratings with no experience towing. Is this a vacation of torque test? That does not leave much time for practice, shakedown trips, or WDH adjustment.

Mid-size SUVs are very limited when it comes to towing high walled RVs with a family onboard. People tend to add about 1000 pounds of items (food, cooking, cloths, towels, spare parts, tools, chairs, toys, etc) for a long weekend. For a long distance trip, you may be approaching 1500 pounds over dry weight. Also, you can expect loaded TW to be in the 12-14% of loaded overall weight in order to help it remain stable. So if you are looking at 6k pounds dry, then, you will likely be around 7500 pounds with 900-1000 pounds of loaded TW. In order to keep all the vehicle ratings (towing, GVWR, axles) under specifications while towing with a family of 4-5, you will want something with at least 1500 (1700-1800 better) pounds of as equipped payload noted on the Tire and Loading sticker, 900+ pound receiver rating, as well as enough tow rating. If you are restricted to FCA, then you're in a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup.

You do not need an integrated brake controller. The better aftermarket ones are under $150CAN and take 10 minutes to install, 9 of which are mounting. Fine tuning the weight distributing hitch is key to comfort and stability. My design is a a little more picky about being adjusted more precisely than most. I have had 60mph feel scary to my wife as a passenger, or 75mph be rock solid with only WDH adjustment differences.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2016 Durango AWD Hemi R/T and Love, Love, Loved it. Purchased a Grand Design 2150 and all the specs were within the DD's limits (I later found out except 1. It was the Hitch Tongue Weight limit) It did pull it fine however.

Factory specs said 423lbs for the trailer. When I weighed the tongue it was 770lbs without any water. I found out later that was without batteries, propane, weight distribution hitch, and anything in the trailer.

Jeeps and Durango's have unibody construction and even though it has a class 4 hitch, it is only rated from the factory to carry 720lbs on the hitch "Period".

So my advice is check the tongue weight or like me you will be buying a different vehicle.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Durango and yes, the payload is your biggest issue. With girls, you're unlikely to see the growth spurt that turns a 50lb squirt into a 130lb refrigerator, but you need to factor in additional stuff as they get older and bringing friends along.

You also don't mention how many girls you have.

With my SLT, I would not tow anything more than about 4500gvwr even though it says "6000 towing capacity". And I don't have the additional people and their stuff to bring with me.

Another thing to note is that if you are looking at the lightweight trailers, some of them have well less than 100lbs available for stuff in them (some only have 200-300 lbs available), so once you fill the fresh water tank, there's no available "weight" left in the trailer for stuff so you can reduce weight in the tow vehicle.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
id be concerned about payload as well. That was the limiting factor when I had my WJ. by the time a family of 4 with their gear and a weight distributing hitch are in the vehicle there isn't much left for tongue weight. also get real world weights on the camper. dry weight is just a mythical number. I suspect it could be done but just barely. Not likely to be a pleasant experience. May we ask why no crew cab truck? They are infinitely more practical, more capable and cheaper with higher resale value to boot. My wife didn't like my truck but soon warmed up to it. her explorer was almost another f150 had we not got the deal we did on a leftover old model year explorer. if its appearance a cap can make it look more like an suv. Drive one. They don't drive like the bricks of old.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it has the Hemi. We have a 2014 with the V6 and it has good power but towing our 3000lb tractor leaves me wanting more power. Absolutely love our Durango though.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As others are saying, payload cap is usually the problem with lighter tow vehicles.
If the above statement is correct, driver and a full tank of fuel are already included. If you have a 1700 lb payload cap on that model try checking it this way to see what you can pull and or carry.

Weight of others in vehicle,
remember kids grow so allow for that 300lbs
weight distributing hitch 100 lbs
Stuff in the truck, coolers etc 100lbs
so 500 or so for the family, leaves you with a little over 1200 lbs for tongue weight.
The maximum towing capacity on those suv's is listed as about 7200 lbs, Tongue weight should be 15% of total weight of the trailer so the tongue when the trailer is loaded for use will be around 1080 lbs.

When looking at trailers look at gvwr, empty weights dont matter, loaded as you will use it is what matters.

By the weights you are probably OK. Also most people will tell you that you should maintain a safety margin of anywhere from 10% of 20% in ensuring that you are safe. If you adhere to that your gross loaded trailer weight should be kept to about 6000 lbs.
If your terrain is flat and level you should be ok with any tt under the above weights. You wont be going fast if you approach those numbers, but with a tow package including brake controller and transmission cooler you should have a manageable rig.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the SRT base payload is 1590, that's going to be really, really tight for a 600lb dry tongue weight trailer and a family of 4 or more. My trailer is 360lb dry tongue and loaded to travel and with 5 in the truck we were at ~90% of our 1650 payload. You're going to have to be very, very careful about how you load both the trailer and tow vehicle to keep all your weights within limits.

The RT appears to have an even lower payload rating so it's right out. If you're looking at SRTs make sure you check the yellow door sticker of the specific vehicle you're looking at.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are ignoring the first rule of TTs and 5ers....buy or select the TT/5er first and then match a TV to it. Proceed at your own peril. Down the road you may become a boondocker with a small TT so no issue but if you like private RV parks for long stays and a big TT, you are in trouble.

If you go ahead regardless, think gross weight rating and PAYLOAD...not trim level.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful of the payload numbers for the SUV you buy. The yellow sticker on the door jamb will tell you how much weight the vehicle can carry, including the trailer tongue weight, hitch, anything in the cargo area, and the weight of the passengers. It gets used up fast!