cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 dodge ram sway issues

Jc_Everest
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 etorque with a tow rating of 12750 lbs. Payload of 1840 lbs pulling a 28 bhss puma. Dry weight of 7513 lbs, hitch weight of 835 lbs. I'm using a recurve R3 hitch. After adjusting this hitch several times I still can't get the sway under control above 45 mph. The manufacturer said the vehicle sway dampening/ anti sway control needs to be off as it works against the hitch. My truck has this built in the the abs and no way to turn off. Took to the dealer and they can't figure out if there's a way to do it. The master mechanic there said he had a 32ft pulling with a 1500 ram and had the same issue. He removed the hitch and pulled with just a ball and said it pulled fine after that. Not seeing how this is a safe option but leading to believe it may be my only option. Reading on dodge forumns seems the control comes on at 40 mph which would make sense that I start having issues at 40. Anyone have suggestions. Neighbors have an equalizer they don't need anymore, would this be an option? Any help would be appreciated as the experts came seem to figure it out.
26 REPLIES 26

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
More tongue weight. 10% is not enough. My experience says you need 15 to 20.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jc Everest wrote:
Well on the cat scale I'm sure some of that weight was transferred to the truck.

Lol, yup, definitely not interested in taking advice to fix the issue….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Shortest version is that Steer Axle has same scale value hitched or solo (same day, exact same load).
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

APT
Explorer
Explorer
While I think you are likely exceeding at least one of your truck's ratings and also do not have your WDH adjusted well, it's all speculation until you have measured weights.

There are 3 Weights Required for proper WDH adjustment.
Tow Vehicle Front Axle weight
Tow vehicle Rear Axle Weight
Trailer axles combined

Also 3 sets of measurements:
TV empty
TV with TT tongue dropped on ball
TV with TT with WDH

Use these numbers to adjust the WDH such that the front axle measurement is the same empty as with TT and WDH. Everything else takes care of itself. The details of adjustment are very well documented in Barneys's post. You can also use the 3rd measurement of TV with TT with WDH to compare to all your trucks ratings such as front axle, rear axle, receiver, and tow rating.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I just looked at the hitch you listed. You can basically turn off (adjust it so it's not doing anything) the sway control and still have the weight distribution. Try that and see if it works with the trucks sway control handling things. If not, the next question is trailer tongue weight and or truck capabilities.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless, the Puma 28 BHSS is a LOT of trailer for any 1/2 ton truck.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Having been a half ton trailer towing owner for the last 25 years, I can say that properly inflated LT tires provide the most bang for the buck. I also upgraded the rear springs on my Ram 1500 which made a big difference too. As mentioned, there's a lot of data not yet shared that's pertinent. Knowing the actual weights of the trailer, tongue, and truck axles loaded and not would make a world of difference in the advice you receive.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
Since you're buried in the truck and TT then I would suggest upgrading the coils on the truck. You can get after market stiffer ones that will give the truck more control. Then you need to setup the WDH properly.
Have you used the front fender measurement method? You should return the front to close to 100% of the unloaded height but not over 100%.
Is the TT level?

All great advice and if it's still a bit squirrely, get some LT tires when the time comes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the OP said “Yep, planning on this truck pulling that camper for years and years, full time or frequently and cross country a bunch.” , an upgrade to a 3/4 ton would at least be somewhat warranted or desireable.
But presuming he’s the typical weekend warrior, he has a great truck for the combination of occasional towing and daily driver duties. As long as the E torque holds together (nothing to do with towing, but I wouldn’t own one due to the added complexity and potential/real failure modes) the engine and trans are right up there with any 3/4 ton gasser save for the Ford 7.3.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Buried is the wrong terminology for sure.
No, the OP doesn’t have the ultimate hauler, however that trailer is not only within the rated capacities of his truck, largely or even completely, it’s certainly not anywhere near the limits of the gvwr gcvwr or drivetrain capabilities.
Replacing the city slicker rear coils with some real springs is a great idea if this is a long term hauler for the OP and they’re ok with rough ride empty. (Most people with half tons aren’t primarily loading heavy, but the exact opposite.)
Coils are a relatively easy and inexpensive upgrade that are frankly needed on this model of Rams. But that or bags and good tires will help tremendously and I’d recommend it.

It would be easier if the OP actually provided answers to the other very pertinent questions asked.
Oh and if you want to test the good tire theory, air up the (presumably) stock P/XL rated tires to 60-65psi and take a little run. It’s a good simulation of how much the higher pressure and stiffness of LT D or E tires will help the situation.
If we ever find out enough details to know the whole situation….

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're buried in the truck and TT then I would suggest upgrading the coils on the truck. You can get after market stiffer ones that will give the truck more control. Then you need to setup the WDH properly.
Have you used the front fender measurement method? You should return the front to close to 100% of the unloaded height but not over 100%.
Is the TT level?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Rams sway control is for catastrophic events, like the trailer getting out of control. It kicks in and applies the brakes individually as needed to bring it back under control and avoid an accident. It is not for ongoing sway control while driving down the road. If it's kicking in, you have serious issues and they need to be fixed rather than doing anything to the trucks sway control - which would be like shooting the messenger.
Have you adjusted the hitch so the front end of the truck isn't nose high? It really sounds like you have unloaded the front suspension.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jc Everest wrote:
Well on the cat scale I'm sure some of that weight was transferred to the truck.

What were the weights by axle ? And then what was the weight of the truck by itself per axle?

Also was the truck and trailer loaded as if going on a trip?

You are giving us partial info that we can speculate about but much better to give the full data, so we don't have to guess at what it means.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 V8 Hemi and I can turn off my truck anti sway option with the push of a button. I have also two older Ram 1500s V8 and a former Ram 2500 V10 4x4 and I can tell you will be most challenged in the high mountains of the Rockies and western USA with that amount and length of trailer.

I do have experience in towing a 28 foot 5000 lb trailer in those mountains and chose to use the 2500 V10 for those chores and safety plus of course an Equalizer WDH. Better safe than sorry. Cheers to the 4 great Rs of life.