cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23MBH Other Manufacturers

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, folks, My wife and I have found a floor plan we like quite a bit in the Jayco Whitehawk 23MBH. What we like about this setup are the bunks across the back of the coach instead of the side. It's not uncommon to find numerous manufacturers building the same floor plan, by chance does anyone know of another manufacturer building this floor plan ?Thank you...

Here is a link to a picture of the floorplan
15 REPLIES 15

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:
Not sure what brands you've looked at lately, but, the Rockwood/Flagstaff 2509S/25BRDS are pretty generous with their front pass through storage. Earlier models of Murphy bed, and even some current lower priced models, lack good accessible pass through ST storage, not so much anymore.

Aside from a smaller pass through cargo storage compartment you'll also note that the Murphy Bed sofa in these models converts to a short queen bed whereas more manufacturers are now providing full length 80" queen beds in models with a conventional walk around queen bed ... your choice obviously.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
To those that are following this thread, it appears Jayco moved what was the 23MBH in the Whitehawk series to the Jay Feather series and renamed it to 23BHM.

Here is a link to the website

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response. Not sure what brands you've looked at lately, but, the Rockwood/Flagstaff 2509S/25BRDS are pretty generous with their front pass through storage. Earlier models of Murphy bed, and even some current lower priced models, lack good accessible pass through ST storage, not so much anymore.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, here's a pic of the huge front pass through cargo storage compartment in my own previous triple bunk bed KZ Spree 240BH-LX ...

LOTS of storage space, especially since this particular model also offered even more cargo storage space at the rear of the trailer, under the lower bunk bed ...

Obviously it's your choice but there's no way many of us, including myself, would want to give up all this storage capability for a Murphy Bed or outside kitchen.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:
The C231BH would be VERY nice with a Murphy bed also.

SoundGuy wrote:
Careful what you wish for - pick any travel trailer with a Murphy Bed and you'll be giving up a significant amount of front pass through compartment cargo storage space.

kltk1 wrote:
Not so anymore. Most of the TT's with Murphy beds we've looked at have solved that problem and now have full pass thru storage in the front.

Any front Murphy Bed occupies space which otherwise would be the front pass through cargo compartment so the only way that would be possible is if the trailer in question was stretched out to be longer than otherwise would be the case. Take a look at that pic of my own trailer and you'll see the front pass through not only runs the full width of the trailer but is also 3' wide, a total of 24 sq ft that resides entirely under the front queen bed. I'd want to see pics of any Murphy Bed model first to believe there are any that offer this much cargo storage space. Mine holds all my campsite related gear, accessed from the campsite side of the trailer ...

... and all my trailer related gear including the spare tire, accessed from the street side of the trailer.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:
1) I like to have as many options as possible when shopping. This is particularly easy to do with RV's as so many manufacturers build the same floor plan with small differences here and there. And, competition is never a bad thing.

Be aware that over the past 10 years or so there has been a lot of "consolation" in the RV industry. Company A buys company B. Or A buys B, C, D, E and F maybe over a couple of years. Same/similar floorplans, just different trim.

kltk1 wrote:
I made the mistake of falling in love with a Rockwood 2509S.

Not a fan of outside kitchens.

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
kltk1 wrote:
What we like about this setup are the bunks across the back of the coach instead of the side. It's not uncommon to find numerous manufacturers building the same floor plan, by chance does anyone know of another manufacturer building this floor plan?

KZ Spree Connect C221BH.

Thank you. What's interesting is that the other floor plans in that range indicate a Murphy bed is available in place of the queen bed but not the C221BH. The C231BH would be VERY nice with a Murphy bed also. Same floor plan, larger bunks.

I stand corrected, while it's not listed on their website as an option, I just watched a video with the C221BH with a Murphy bed. Thanks again...

Here is the YouTube video

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
kltk1 wrote:

Careful what you wish for - pick any travel trailer with a Murphy Bed and you'll be giving up a significant amount of front pass through compartment cargo storage space. Even my 19' couple's model, with a conventional walk around queen bed, has a HUGE pass through cargo storage compartment.

Not so anymore. Most of the TT's with Murphy beds we've looked at have solved that problem and now have full pass thru storage in the front. The trailer we looked at today, a 2014 model, was exactly as you describe though. Very small pass through storage. And no way to get to storage under the sofa. Again, current models seem to have addressed this issue.

Thank you for the heads up....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:

Careful what you wish for - pick any travel trailer with a Murphy Bed and you'll be giving up a significant amount of front pass through compartment cargo storage space. Even my 19' couple's model, with a conventional walk around queen bed, has a HUGE pass through cargo storage compartment.

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
kltk1 wrote:
What we like about this setup are the bunks across the back of the coach instead of the side. It's not uncommon to find numerous manufacturers building the same floor plan, by chance does anyone know of another manufacturer building this floor plan?

KZ Spree Connect C221BH.

Thank you. What's interesting is that the other floor plans in that range indicate a Murphy bed is available in place of the queen bed but not the C221BH. The C231BH would be VERY nice with a Murphy bed also. Same floor plan, larger bunks.

OldShu
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2185/
'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

kltk1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Nice layout on that Jayco ! I like the Murphy Bed, a U-shaped dinette slide out. The rear bunks make sort of a second bedroom !

Any reason you are looking for a different brand than Jayco ?

We went to see one up close and personal today, 2014, and we really liked the floor plan. Two reasons for considering other brands, 1) I like to have as many options as possible when shopping. This is particularly easy to do with RV's as so many manufacturers build the same floor plan with small differences here and there. And, competition is never a bad thing. 2) I made the mistake of falling in love with a Rockwood 2509S. The Rockwood seems to be a tighter trailer and nicer build quality. A lot of that may have to do with the fact that I'm comparing a 2014 model to 2017 models. Even still, the Rockwood, and Flagstaff just come across as higher quality. Whether that's accurate or not is subjective, I guess, but that's the way they came across to me.

Having said all that, that doesn't mean we won't love having a Jayco, I'm sure I'm not the only one that HAS TO see everything before making a purchase. I hate kicking myself in the butt after the fact.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice layout on that Jayco ! I like the Murphy Bed, a U-shaped dinette slide out. The rear bunks make sort of a second bedroom !

Any reason you are looking for a different brand than Jayco ?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kltk1 wrote:

KZ Spree Connect C221BH.