Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

28,500 lbs Ford vs Ram 1 ton DRW

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
VIDEO

$80,115 MSRP Ram 3500 385hp/930tq, 4.10 rear, 5690# payload as configured, 11 brake applications on the way down.
2.7 mpg and 11 min 41 sec on the uphill portion.

$83,015 MSRP Ford F350 450hp/935tq, 4.10 rear, 5400# payload as configured, 10 brake applications on the way down,
2.4 mpg and 11 min 43 sec on the uphill portion.

Basically a tie.

Anyone else surprised the 65hp advantage the Ford has didn't result in a quicker time? It sure did in the drag race they did.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
213 REPLIES 213

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Big Toe

To further explain what I am talking about in regards to simulated conditions, take the QSM11 spec sheet in this LINK as an example. This is a standard spec sheet that Cummins will give to their customers (the vehicle manufacturers).

Notice at the top ,right below the emissions certification, where it states the simulated restrictions.

All data is based on the engine operating with fuel system, water pump, and 15 in H2O (3.733 kPa) inlet air restriction with 6 in (152mm) inner diameter, and with 2 in Hg (7 kPa) exhaust restriction with 5 in (127 mm) inner diameter; not included are alternator, fan, optional equipment and driven components. Coolant flows and heat rejection data based on coolants as 50% ethylene glycol/50% water. All data is subject to change without notice.

And at the very bottom it states the certification standards along with what elevations these power numbers are good for before electronic derate is applied.

Curves shown above represent gross engine performance capabilities obtained and corrected in accordance with SAE J1995 conditions of 29.61 in Hg (100 kPa) barometric pressure (300ft (91m) altitude) 77 deg F (25 deg C) inlet air temperature, and 0.30 in Hg (1kPa) water vapor pressure with No. 2 diesel fuel. The engine may be operated up to 12,000 ft (3,658 m) altitude before electronic derate is applied.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

You keep saying it is only about the money...
Money is important, of course.

But if that were SAEs only motive, then why has the ford which is NOT certified, been spanked by GM over the years with a motor that IS certified with less power than the ford?

While I would say Ford has been "spanked by GM over the years" since it has been a back and fourth over the years depending on what testing you want to go by because there are many variables(like trans gearing, torque converter stall, drivetrain efficiency) besides engine power that can make each truck great at one test while crappy at another. there is also things such as programming to defuel or detune an engine to stay with in emissions or safe temps. Heck, there have been some Ike tests where the Duramax was bested by the Cummins that made less power.

But as I said only fan boys care about such things so they can pound their chest in forums like these. Most don't care as long as the truck pulls the load like they want or will add more power with aftermarket tuners regardless of brand.

However, you are moving away from our original debate which was the fact that J1995 and J1349 are certifications which you stated they weren't.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kinda funny, Cummins knows exactly where every engine they build is going and they are tuned to the customers specs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:

Does Cummins identify, on any literature, website, or federally mandated document, that the 6.7L destined for pickups is certified per J1995, similar to how Cummins identified in the brochures of the two different M11s above as being certified per J1349?

In instances like the fire pump spec sheet that you posted where Cummins is the end product manufacturer, they use J1349. In instances where they only make the engine and not the end product, they use J1995. Again, J1349 is for manufacturers that design the end product, and J1995 is only for engine manufacturers that supply the engine.

The same goes for Cummins diesel generator sets where they make the end product. However, in some of their gas engine gen sets where they do not make the engine, those are J1995 certified by their engine supplier. It is not like they get a choice in the matter on which one they wish to go my, J1995 is for when you are an engine suppliers, J1349 is for when you produce the end product, and J2723 still uses either method but with an extra step of having a SAE witness. That is all.

BigToe wrote:
Is it possible that Cummins does use J1349,

Cummins does use J1349 when they are the manufacturer of the final product. However, in regards to the vehicle engine we are talking about, Cummins is NOT the manufacturer of the final product so they have to use J1995.

BigToe wrote:
Can we at least agree that SAE J1995 is commonly referred to as the test for gross horsepower without engine driven accessories, exhaust systems, or emissions control devices? And can we also agree that SAE J1349 is commonly referred to as the test for net horsepower, still measured at the flywheel, but inclusive of the induction, exhaust, and after treatment systems as the engine would be expected to be configured in use?

While J1995 is considered "net" power, this does not mean the engine manufacturer does not simulate or actually add these systems when testing. You can easily simulate the CFM of an intake or the back pressure of an exhaust with emissions in a test cell. They will sometimes denote this by saying the power ratings are "restricted" J1995 ratings meaning the restrict the power ratings to meet all emissions. They can even simulate other losses from things such as the fan clutch, alternator, and/or A/C compressor to even more load then they actually produce. You can even add these devices when testing like Cummins has done many times when certifying J1995 power rating. However, this is voluntary engine manufacturers under J1995, but is required for end product manufacturers using J1349.

Also there is nothing stopping Ram from certifying the Cummins in their trucks under J1349, but that is kind of pointless and most end users (besides fanboys of course) don't actually care about such things as log as it pulls the load.

I am not going to comment on the rest because I have a feeling I will just be repeating myself.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
BigToe wrote:

On this particular engine it says to decrease the power rating by 3% for every 1000 ft of elevation gain above 300 feet above sea level. That is very significant. If the Powerstroke is similar it is more than enough reason to explain why it didn't climb the hill in 10 minutes. 3% for every thousand feet means a 450 hp engine at 300 ft above sea level becomes a 350 hp engine at 8300 ft above sea level. I wonder if both Powerstroke and Cummins are equally concerned about meeting emissions at 8000 ft elevation?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
"Cummins uses J1995 just like all engine manufactures that only make an engine and cannot control the intake and exhaust system of the vehicle the engine will be put in."

(Please see yellow arrows in photos below)

Does Cummins identify, on any literature, website, or federally mandated document, that the 6.7L destined for pickups is certified per J1995, similar to how Cummins identified in the brochures of the two different M11s above as being certified per J1349?

ShinerBock wrote:
"Even vehicle manufacturers test their engines the same way, but have to go by J1349 since they make the entire vehicle and not just the engine.

Ford makes their own engine, as well as the entire vehicle it goes in. Yet Ford doesn't "have to go by J1349". In fact, Ford refuses to altogether it appears, even while GM embraces a step toward common accountability and independent 3rd party auditing of the procedure and methodology used in the adherence to the standard. In fact, SAE suggests that following either procedure is voluntary, but in order to advertise "Certified to SAE J1349", a manufacturer must use the test procedure outlined in SAE J2723. No such requirement is made for advertising J1995.

Is it possible that Cummins does use J1349, like the older (predating the emergence of SAE J2723) Cummins brochures above indicate... but is prohibited from advertising it, because Cummins, like Ford, doesn't want to pay a third party independent verifier to monitor the testing procedure per SAE J2723?

ShinerBock wrote:
"The only reason why SAE came up with the new J2723 requiring a witness was so that they can get money from the manufacturers which in turn makes our vehicles a little more expensive

Perhaps at this point, we should see if we can at least find some common ground that we can agree on, so that I can make better progress in trying to make sense out of what you are suggesting, that you believe I am misinterpreting.

Can we at least agree that SAE J1995 is commonly referred to as the test for gross horsepower without engine driven accessories, exhaust systems, or emissions control devices? And can we also agree that SAE J1349 is commonly referred to as the test for net horsepower, still measured at the flywheel, but inclusive of the induction, exhaust, and after treatment systems as the engine would be expected to be configured in use?

And can we at least agree than neither J1995 nor J1349 take into consideration drivetrain losses? And, unlike some common misconceptions out there on the net, we both can agree than neither J1995 nor J1349 refer to any measurement of horsepower at the wheels, where the rubber meets the road or the dyno rollers?

If we can agree on all that, then can we take another look at that 2017 Ram Cummins 3500HD that is the subject of the video in the original post briefly? I have not seen that video, nor am I the least bit interested in, but I do remain very interested in trying to understand and reconcile what I may or may not have misunderstood you to be suggesting, compared to what I read in the Cummins application to the EPA and CARB for this 6.7L engine, where a horsepower rating, induction system, and exhaust system all must be certified in an "in use" configuration.

Here is the cover letter Cummins sent to the EPA...

I underlined "in use", because that is a critical term in emissions parlance. In use is not gross power of the engine in a vacuum, without regard for induction and exhaust and after treatment. In use is as the engine will be configured for use on the highway, which is what the EPA is concerned about.

So let's look at the alphabet soup that the engine is surrounded by in use:

That will take a moment or two to read. It no doubt took a lot longer to test... but Cummins tested and certified it. Cummins applied for the approval. Cummins will be the VW paying the fines if Cummins got it wrong. This is why the idea that Cummins would certify to the EPA the gross HP level of the motor, while simultaneously certifying that that Gross HP number applies with all the induction, exhaust, and aftertreatment systems included... doesn't make sense to me.

It seems more likely that Cummins would follow the SAE J1349 standard, as Cummins own literature suggests that they are given to do, for the purpose of accurately determining a HP level to a Federal agency that has the power to stop the sale of their vehicles, force a recall and retrofit of their vehicles, and levy a fine of up to $10,000 per vehicle per day, if the certified numbers don't match up with what can be independently verified.

Here are the horsepower levels Cummins submitted with their certification:

Speaking of liability, I can easily see why Cummins wouldn't advertise that they use J1349 to determine net horsepower, since they could then be sued by the SAE, since the SAE owns the rights to the standards. Because of 50 years of bogus claims by vehicle manufacturers in marketing materials, the SAE has had to continue to close the loop holes that manufacturers have found to circumvent the fundamental idea behind a standard. Which is to create a standard. A foundation for fair comparison.

Apparently, manufacturers cannot be trusted to watch the hens without spiriting off with a few eggs, so J2723, requiring an independent witness to verify the manufacturer's adherence to the test procedures outlined in J1349, was developed to re level the playing field once again, with stricter oversight. The cost of that oversight is borne by the manufacturer, who will of course pass it on to the consumer. But to claim adherence to J1349, the witness must be paid to watch.

Otherwise, no advertising J1349. However, that doesn't automatically mean that Cummins is going to report to the EPA some HP numbers that are determined separately from the induction, exhaust, and after treatment systems included in the same certification.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Sweet! I knew this one would make 20 pages! Good job boys.

LOL, only shows 10 pages here.............wanna debate that? LOL.

I'll see your 20 pages (or my 10) GD, and raise you another 20 pages by noon Thursday.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

That is all is a whole lot.
Without the "witness" A manufacturer can bend some rules.... Oh my, that would never happen.

As Ford said. "The customer will get what WE rate"

Then of course they go on to get spanked repeatadly'

You can believe whatever you want.

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.... It's a duck

I think you have mistaken me for a fanboy that cares about getting "spanked repeatedly" as if I care what stock power numbers are. As I have stated here, I bought my Cummins for its reliability knowing that I can tune it afterwards to the power levels I want which as it sits right now my 2014 is about 513 hp at the wheels on level 4.

I am just stating what I now how it works when I worked for Cummins. In order for an engine make to say are J1349 or J1995 they have to follow the guidelines of those certifications or it is false advertising. Anyone on the street can easily do a stock dyno pull and adjust for parasitic loss to tell if the power ratings are true are not.

The only reason why SAE came up with the new J2723 requiring a witness was so that they can get money from the manufacturers which in turn makes our vehicles a little more expensive. Manufacturers do the exact same thing to oil producers requiring to pay for the testing to meet their oil tandards. This does not mean that most oils won't meet that standard, it just means that only companies that fork over the cash to have it tested will be able to advertise it and say they do.

You keep saying it is only about the money...
Money is important, of course.

But if that were SAEs only motive, then why has the ford which is NOT certified, been spanked by GM over the years with a motor that IS certified with less power than the ford?

Could it be that ford cares about money? The money they make from pulling the wool over consumers eyes?

Or is it all SAEs fault for wanting witnesses for tests in order for them to get their stamp of approval?

You can believe whatever you want. But those ARE the facts of the situation.

On edit: Notice that I never said anything about Ram... Ram has often trailed in the power ratings over the years, and their performances in tests that I have read seemed to be in line with their ratings.

So you are correct in that "certification" by witnesses are not necessary to get accurate numbers.... But when the teacher leaves the room during a test.... It is amazing how many students get an "A".
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:

I'm not buying the notion that Cummins only certifies engines, irrespective of application.

This thread began with a towing contest between some type of Ford (irrelevant) pitted against a recent model (2017? 2018?) Ram 3500. So to be safe let's look at a 2017 Model Year Ram 3500 with a Cummins ISB 6.7L diesel engine.

Remembering that Cummins only builds engines, not vehicles, we already know that Cummins put the ISB 6.7L engine into many other vehicles in model year 2017 besides the Ram 3500. For example, there is the Ram 2500, 4500, and 5500. There is also the Freightliner M2-106 and 108SD; the International Durastar, Workstar, and new HV series; the Autocar ACMD XPert (small refuse truck), ACX XPeditor (big refuse truck) and ACTT XSpotter (yard goat); the BlueBird Vision and All American (school buses); the dozens of motorhome manufacturers who outfit their class A coaches with the ISB 6.7L; the dozens of stationary power applications, off road equipment, airport shuttle busses, municipal busses... you get the idea.

Yes, I get the idea because I used to work for Cummins on the very same engines you are talking about.

BigToe wrote:
In fact, you established the idea, in this thread, that Cummins builds and certifies the engine without respect to the vehicle, "because they cannot control the intake and exhaust system that the engine will be put in."

You misread what I stated. I never aid that Cummins certifies engines without respect to the vehicle. I said "Cummins uses J1995 just like all engine manufactures that only make an engine and cannot control the intake and exhaust system of the vehicle the engine will be put in." Which is a fact because Ram designs the intake not Cummins.

I followed this up by saying"This does not mean that Cummins(or any other engine manufacturer) cannot simulate the intake and exhaust system that these engines are going in" meaning that Cummins can(and has) utilized the intake and exhaust of the truck the engine will be going in for power certification.

BigToe wrote:

The notion that Cummins is certifying engines for Ram pickups as engines only, without regard to the regulated emission system components of the vehicle, is not supported by the 34 page application that Cummins submitted to the EPA back in 2015 to get their engine in the RAM 3500 certified for model year 2017, nor the hundreds of applications that Cummins submits every year, for every Engine Family number, of every Engine they make, whether for destined for fire apparatus, compressor duty, or racing Fords up mountains with trailer in tow.

The very fact that the engine is certified under J1995, which can only be done by an engine manufacturer, is proof to what I am telling you. Again, you are misreading what I stated. By me saying that Cummins tests the engine, you are thinking that i am saying that they are testing the engine only. This cannot be done per J1995 and you have to take the intake and exhaust into consideration when certifying these engine at different power levels. This can be simulated in a test cell.

This is very close to what those tests cells look like.

Even vehicle manufacturers test their engines the same way, but have to go by J1349 since they make the entire vehicle and not just the engine.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

Without the "witness" A manufacturer can bend some rules.... Oh my, that would never happen.

Then of course they go on to get spanked repeatadly'

I think you have mistaken me for a fanboy that cares about getting "spanked repeatedly" as if I care what stock power numbers are. As I have stated here, I bought my Cummins for its reliability knowing that I can tune it afterwards to the power levels I want which as it sits right now my 2014 is about 513 hp at the wheels on level 4.

I am just stating what I now how it works when I worked for Cummins. In order for an engine make to say are J1349 or J1995 they have to follow the guidelines of those certifications or it is false advertising. Anyone on the street can easily do a stock dyno pull and adjust for parasitic loss to tell if the power ratings are true are not.

The only reason why SAE came up with the new J2723 requiring a witness was so that they can get money from the manufacturers which in turn makes our vehicles a little more expensive. Manufacturers do the exact same thing to oil producers requiring to pay for the testing to meet their oil tandards. This does not mean that most oils won't meet that standard, it just means that only companies that fork over the cash to have it tested will be able to advertise it and say they do.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

No it is NOT false.
J1995 is a specified procedure for testing. It is actually an old procedure. It has been replaced by most with J1349. This is a more stringent procedure, BUT their were loopholes that too many were using to get misleading (higher) numbers. So it was updated in 2005. Realizing that some manufacturers could still find ways to manipulate the numbers, SAE came out with a new process at that time. J2723. It can go hand in hand with J1349.
What it specifies is that SAE must be present and oversee the testing to keep it legit. Only those that do this voluntary extra step can advertise their SAE numbers as "certified".

Check out what I posted earlier in this thread:

SAE certified power ratings

Hmmm, who to believe here. A biased fanboy who has never worked for an engine manufacturer and only wants to make hi favorite brand look good or someone who is unbiased here that has worked many years for an engine manufacturer and only want to give people the facts.

Or we can just believe the very people that set the certification standards.

Engine Power Test Code - Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition - Gross Power and Torque Rating J19...

"This SAE Standard has been adopted to provide a basis for dynamometer determination of gross engine power and torque under reference conditions. It is intended for use primarily by engine manufacturers who supply engines for installation by others in applications where the engine manufacturer may not control the induction and exhaust system design or the speed at which the engine is run"

What do they say about the J2723 that GM uses you ask?

Engine Power Test Code - Engine Power and Torque Certification J2723_201509

"This document specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 (Rev. 8/04) or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995.

Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as โ€œCertified to SAE J1349โ€ or โ€œCertified to SAE J1995.โ€
"

All three are certified standards per SAE with the J2327 being the newest with the main difference being that it requires one of these SAE-Approved Witnesses to witness the dyno testing so that SAE can get more money from the manufacturers to use certification logo. That does not mean that they are not certifications. It only means that in order to advertise the "Certified to J----", you have to pay for the witness. That is all.

Then of course they go on to get spanked repeatadly by others that used J2327 and have a less "certified" power rating.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins uses J1995 just like all engine manufactures that only make an engine and cannot control the intake and exhaust system of the vehicle the engine will be put in. This does not mean that Cummins(or any other engine manufacturer) cannot simulate the intake and exhaust system that these engines are going in, but they still can only do a J1995 certification since they only manufacture the engine, not the vehicle.

I'm not buying the notion that Cummins only certifies engines, irrespective of application.

This thread began with a towing contest between some type of Ford (irrelevant) pitted against a recent model (2017? 2018?) Ram 3500. So to be safe let's look at a 2017 Model Year Ram 3500 with a Cummins ISB 6.7L diesel engine.

Remembering that Cummins only builds engines, not vehicles, we already know that Cummins put the ISB 6.7L engine into many other vehicles in model year 2017 besides the Ram 3500. For example, there is the Ram 2500, 4500, and 5500. There is also the Freightliner M2-106 and 108SD; the International Durastar, Workstar, and new HV series; the Autocar ACMD XPert (small refuse truck), ACX XPeditor (big refuse truck) and ACTT XSpotter (yard goat); the BlueBird Vision and All American (school buses); the dozens of motorhome manufacturers who outfit their class A coaches with the ISB 6.7L; the dozens of stationary power applications, off road equipment, airport shuttle busses, municipal busses... you get the idea.

In fact, you established the idea, in this thread, that Cummins builds and certifies the engine without respect to the vehicle, "because they cannot control the intake and exhaust system that the engine will be put in."

I do a lot of mind numbing paperwork in fleet certification compliance, in the strictest emissions state in this nation. I can guarantee you that Cummins separately certified one of many iterations of their ISB 6.7L engine specifically to the 2017 Ram 3500, and that certification applies to no other vehicle... not even the RAM 2500, 4500, or 5500.

The exhaust, and the specific components of the exhaust, are identified and named in the certification. The intake is described. The GVWR and the tare weight of the vehicle is described. The specific horsepower levels (there are three... 350hp, 370hp, and 385hp) are tested individually. Every iteration of the 3500 is tested separately, whether 4x4 or 4x2, along with each of the three available transmissions, tested in all possible configurations, both Federal as well as California.

In fact, Cummins paid California $23,000 just to get the CARB certification, and that certification did not apply to any other Ram Cummins vehicle other than the Ram 3500 and the six possible drivetrain configurations that vehicle is available in. And it was Cummins, not FCA, that wrote the check and signed the Certification.

The EPA requires that engine manufacturers identify their engines with Family numbers, and the Cummins ISB 6.7L has many many many different family numbers and durability groups, each that is certified separately.

Because the Ram 3500 is 14,000 GVWR and under, and because it is sold as a completed vehicle, it has to be chassis certified, with the entire intake and exhaust system identified and tested.

The notion that Cummins is certifying engines for Ram pickups as engines only, without regard to the regulated emission system components of the vehicle, is not supported by the 34 page application that Cummins submitted to the EPA back in 2015 to get their engine in the RAM 3500 certified for model year 2017, nor the hundreds of applications that Cummins submits every year, for every Engine Family number, of every Engine they make, whether for destined for fire apparatus, compressor duty, or racing Fords up mountains with trailer in tow.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

No it is NOT false.
J1995 is a specified procedure for testing. It is actually an old procedure. It has been replaced by most with J1349. This is a more stringent procedure, BUT their were loopholes that too many were using to get misleading (higher) numbers. So it was updated in 2005. Realizing that some manufacturers could still find ways to manipulate the numbers, SAE came out with a new process at that time. J2723. It can go hand in hand with J1349.
What it specifies is that SAE must be present and oversee the testing to keep it legit. Only those that do this voluntary extra step can advertise their SAE numbers as "certified".

Hmmm, who to believe here. A biased fanboy who has never worked for an engine manufacturer and only wants to make hi favorite brand look good or someone who is unbiased here that has worked many years for an engine manufacturer and only want to give people the facts.

Or we can just believe the very people that set the certification standards.

Engine Power Test Code - Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition - Gross Power and Torque Rating J19...

"This SAE Standard has been adopted to provide a basis for dynamometer determination of gross engine power and torque under reference conditions. It is intended for use primarily by engine manufacturers who supply engines for installation by others in applications where the engine manufacturer may not control the induction and exhaust system design or the speed at which the engine is run"

What do they say about the J2723 that GM uses you ask?

Engine Power Test Code - Engine Power and Torque Certification J2723_201509

"This document specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 (Rev. 8/04) or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995.

Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as โ€œCertified to SAE J1349โ€ or โ€œCertified to SAE J1995.โ€
"

All three are certified standards per SAE with the J2327 being the newest with the main difference being that it requires one of these SAE-Approved Witnesses to witness the dyno testing so that SAE can get more money from the manufacturers to use certification logo. That does not mean that they are not certifications. It only means that in order to advertise the "Certified to J----", you have to pay for the witness. That is all.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
And only the GM numbers are SAE certified.
What does that mean?
It means they are real.
Unlike the Ford moving from 440 to 450 in 2018. That was in direct response to GMs upgrade in 2017... I doubt anything really changed, other than the testing method, which was NOT certified.

This is false. All are SAE certified, but use different SAE certification processes. Cummins uses J1995 just like all engine manufactures that only make an engine and cannot control the intake and exhaust system of the vehicle the engine will be put in. This does not mean that Cummins(or any other engine manufacturer) cannot simulate the intake and exhaust system that these engines are going in, but they still can only do a J1995 certification since they only manufacture the engine, not the vehicle.
No it is NOT false.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
And only the GM numbers are SAE certified.
What does that mean?
It means they are real.
Unlike the Ford moving from 440 to 450 in 2018. That was in direct response to GMs upgrade in 2017... I doubt anything really changed, other than the testing method, which was NOT certified.

This is false. All are SAE certified, but use different SAE certification processes. Cummins uses J1995 just like all engine manufactures that only make an engine and cannot control the intake and exhaust system of the vehicle the engine will be put in. This does not mean that Cummins(or any other engine manufacturer) cannot simulate the intake and exhaust system that these engines are going in, but they still can only do a J1995 certification since they only manufacture the engine, not the vehicle.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD