cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton GMC D/M

Tinnys_Rig
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, my daughter's boyfriend wants to buy a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2500# dry and pull it with his 2006 3/4 ton GMC D/M.I'm trying to talk him out of it but he says the salesman says that he can do it. Any suggestions???
18 REPLIES 18

Tinnys_Rig
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies folks, you have confirmed what I had expected all along. The trailer is a 40' Cedar Creek 36CKTS. A beautiful rig but too much trailer for that truck. Thanks again for your most valuable input!

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
And what's wrong with even 3000 lbs on a GMC 2006 D/A (I assume you mean) truck? Even with the 245 OEM tires he has 6042 capacity on the rear OEM tires and his unloaded truck's rear axle will scale weigh well under 3000 lbs. That leaves him well over 3000 lbs of tire capacity left for his pin weight and his hitch. You didn't say how many passengers he'd be carrying or their weights but most of their weight would be carried on the front axle unless the backseat passengers are "fattys". Even if he were to go over max rear tire capacity, he can change the rear tires to 265's and have 6830 tire capacity and install either airbags or a decent type of overloads. Everything else on his GM truck is identical to the 3500 SRW model including the rear axle (same part number).

Also the very same truck as the 3500 DRW minus the dual rear wheels and the fender hips and the same exact dia rear axle with a different end plate welded on for DRW mounting, larger dia shocks which are off the shelf components. GM only makes ONE HD chassis for ALL 3 model designations as it's used on the 2500 HD, 3500 HD SRW, and the 3500 DRW models.

You need a lot more detail and specifics before you should say he should pull that 5th wheel with his 2006 GM truck. Salesmen are known for saying anything to make a sale but I can't see where this salesman per your info given is wrong! Does the 5th wheel in question weigh over 14,000 GVW? 2500 lb pin weight sure doesn't suggest it.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Tell him to load about 500 lbs of stuff in the truck with full tank of fuel and go to a scale and weigh the truck. The difference between his weight and the gvwr of the truck (posted on sticker in door jamb) is what he has left in payload for pin weight.
The pin weight of most fifth wheels will be around 20 percent of the loaded weight of the trailer. Ignore dry weights and what the manufacturer says the pin weighs. Loaded is what counts.
That sounds like too much trailer for that truck, but it will pull it.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinnys Rig wrote:
Hey folks, my daughter's boyfriend wants to buy a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2500# dry and pull it with his 2006 3/4 ton GMC D/M.I'm trying to talk him out of it but he says the salesman says that he can do it. Any suggestions???

Of course the salesman will state that, the lips moving issue!!
More info would be helpful.
What is the GVWR of the TV, what is the GVWR of the 5er, make and year?
It for sure can pull it, the question is can it carry it!!
That is where the GVWR and rear GAWR come into play.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"