cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$300 for 1977 17ft. prowler?

kdlisa1469
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chance to purchase this rv and just wanted some feedback.
I've seen it and checked it out...gonna have a little bit of work to do, but overall, it's solid...title clear,...
Let me know your thoughts...thanks
18 REPLIES 18

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For $300, you could strip the siding and all of the appliances, sell them, gut the rest and have the deck of a mighty nice flatbed trailer left. The OP could get crazy like a few of us and rebuild the trailer. Anyone that can build a dog house could reframe an RV.

FWIW, I intentionally bought a TT with water damage. For what I wanted, an extremely well insulated roaming mothership, I knew if I bought a newer one in good shape, I wouldn't have the heart to tear it all up. I think I got lucky with the steel frame and running gear. IMO, it's a lot better than most newer units.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ctabailey
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

As for wealthy? My first TT 15 year ago was 500 dollars. I sold it to a friend. It's still in use but barely. My second, TT was 1000 dollars. I sold it to a friend. He used it for 2 year, and sold it to a frind. It' still in use on a fairly regular basis. My third TT was 1700 dollars. I sold it to a friend, he drags it all over the Midwest and uses it 7-10 weekends a year. My forth, I still have , I paid 3200 for it 3 year ago and I use it every weekend. I never go more then 120 miles from home but, I use it probably over 50 nights a year.

I'm not sure a 21 year old TT being pulled by a 10 year old pickup makes me wealthy. I guess it depends on you idea of wealth. Some of my friends think I'm rich, some don't.

Cave... You can't buy the education you've gotten over the years with that fleet! ๐Ÿ™‚

You obviously subscribe to the same theory: either fix 'em and enjoy 'em, or buy new and whine about "warranty" "repair" by the stealership for every missing staple, or mid-aligned cabinet door.

Plenty of folk fall into the latter category. The quicker people realize that all these new trailers are junk, get over it, and start working on their own rigs, the better off they'll be.
In fact, I'm guessing a 1977 model coach was built a lot different and better than a new fangeled "ultra lite" of modern days.

I'm changing my tune. To the OP-> go for it! At $300 you could camp 3 times, on the fourth drag it to the junkyard, and still have a better camping experience.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctbailey wrote:
Yeah. Run. don't walk.

I just completed (finally) my floor/bathroom rebuild project.

I started with a 2004 that I had bought used in 2008, so I was still paying for mine when I discovered the floor rot. I needed to rebuild it and try to retain most of the factory components like the galley, fridge, dinette, sofa, etc etc.

But with a gem like this prowler, you actually could gut the whole thing and feel good doing it. Frankly, to start from scratch would make the project go a WHOLE LOT FASTER.

not to mention, if you gut the thing, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, and will have the opportunity to build it right.

I always say to people: "You either need to be wealthy, or real handy if you want to be an RVer."

Just do not kid yourself - this ole girl will have PLENTY of problems! The decision you really need to make is... "do I want to fix it, or do I want to live with it until my foot steps through the floor, then I drop it off at the junk yard?"

Sure, I rebuilt my trailer. but would I recommend it to anyone? Absolutely not! I'd much rather had been camping with my family.

Welllll, I wouldn't go quite that far. I guess it's all about how perfect you want it to be. At 300 dollars it's going to be far, far, far, from perfect. If it useable or not I don't know because I haven't seen it.

As for wealthy? My first TT 15 year ago was 500 dollars. I sold it to a friend. It's still in use but barely. My second, TT was 1000 dollars. I sold it to a friend. He used it for 2 year, and sold it to a frind. It' still in use on a fairly regular basis. My third TT was 1700 dollars. I sold it to a friend, he drags it all over the Midwest and uses it 7-10 weekends a year. My forth, I still have , I paid 3200 for it 3 year ago and I use it every weekend. I never go more then 120 miles from home but, I use it probably over 50 nights a year.

I'm not sure a 21 year old TT being pulled by a 10 year old pickup makes me wealthy. I guess it depends on you idea of wealth. Some of my friends think I'm rich, some don't.

ctabailey
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah. Run. don't walk.

I just completed (finally) my floor/bathroom rebuild project.

I started with a 2004 that I had bought used in 2008, so I was still paying for mine when I discovered the floor rot. I needed to rebuild it and try to retain most of the factory components like the galley, fridge, dinette, sofa, etc etc.

But with a gem like this prowler, you actually could gut the whole thing and feel good doing it. Frankly, to start from scratch would make the project go a WHOLE LOT FASTER.

not to mention, if you gut the thing, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, and will have the opportunity to build it right.

I always say to people: "You either need to be wealthy, or real handy if you want to be an RVer."

Just do not kid yourself - this ole girl will have PLENTY of problems! The decision you really need to make is... "do I want to fix it, or do I want to live with it until my foot steps through the floor, then I drop it off at the junk yard?"

Sure, I rebuilt my trailer. but would I recommend it to anyone? Absolutely not! I'd much rather had been camping with my family.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
Run away fast.

Why would you say that?

Although if it is the one in the picture above I would sure paint it and get rid of that color. lol But, that's just me.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Run away fast.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a fun project if you got the time and good place to do the work...

Found this photo on GOOGLE SEARCH Might even be your trailer hehe... Since this photo is from an ebay sale it will most likely loss it viewing address soon...

After finding out if everything is shipshape water damage wise and road worthy wise. I would start off by beefing up the battery system into the world of smart mode charging and LED lights...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my old 5er for the value of the new tires. I just wanted it out of the driveway. Sounds like there isn't much value in the rig right now. Don't expect everything to work, and don't expect that it hasn't leaked nor has water damage.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're comfortable that it's solid, I'd g for it. $300 is a pretty low risk project and worst case you end up with a flat bed trailer;)

As long as you're handy, creative and have plenty of spare time you should be able to fix just about anything in a trailer without breaking the bank.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to look up some of the repair/rebuild threads to see what you might be getting yourself into.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's cheap enough that's for sure. I agree you probably will not be able to just jump in it and take it camping across the country. Without seeing it I can't say if it's good enough for local use. But, for that price you could always turn the axel and frame into a snow-mobile trailer. I've helped friends do that to a couple of old wore out camper.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what your going to do with the TT. If you want a camper and travel on the road for family vacations I would look for something else.
If the TT is to be used as a hunters lodge then anything will work.

Your looking at a 38 year old TT which for 300 bucks could need thousands to bring it up to traveling shape.

If your satisfied with the unit then its your call.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, you can't buy a utility trailer for $300. If it's all in one piece and roadworthy, it's a good buy. Just know beforehand that what appears to be a small leak in the roof or around a window is going to be days of repair work. Good luck with the trailer and, please, post some pictures up here when you get it home.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
No way I can judge without seeing it but I have bought a number of old TT cheap in the fall, clean them up and do a few repairs, and then sell for a profit in the spring.

The price of $300 is such a minimal amount to risk I would say go for it!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900