cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36" Hitch Extension for 2" Receiver - Are they Made?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Helping a friend set up his camper and also an extension for towing his boat.

What he has:

1992 Ford F350, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, 460V8
Draw-Tite 2" Receiver Hitch
2002 S&S Ponderosa 9.5SC
Happijac Tie downs front and rear

The distance from current truck receiver (inside of 2" receiver hole where it bottoms out inside) to rear edge of camper bumper is 36".

I found a 36" hitch extension by Curt but it is for a 2.5" receiver end and then is 2" at ball hitch end. I need one that will enter the 2" hitch truck receiver and then allows for a 2" ball hitch at opposite camper bumper end. I am unable to find an extension with these dimensions.

Is this hitch extension made?
How can this be solved?
What others done with this dilemma?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
45 REPLIES 45

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer tongue is too short, tucking the hitch under the camper is a bad idea. I switched from the 42" truss to the 48" truss. The 42" was perfect, the hitch ball popped out just behind the camper "bumper". Not so perfect with the enclosed trailer hooked up and you tried to make a tight turn.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:
Thanks for all of the assistance!

Thanks for giving the update. Many people simply disappear, and we are left wondering if they got the question sorted or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to follow back up on the install and lower hitch extension.

The lower extension was drilled/punched incorrectly. A new one was sent by TL. It fit like a glove.

The length after install and camper placed on truck...was about 7" past rear camper bumper/step. A 24" would have worked as suggested on this thread but a longer ball mount would have been needed to get ball out past rear of camper bumper/step.

However, we launched the boat and the 36" was appreciated during the launch. The truck tires just touched the water and boat launched with ease. The shortest ball mount we used IMO is much preferred over a 8"-12" one that would have been needed with a 24" extension. Obviously other launch ramps will be at different angles and we'll see how it launches on those ramps.

The 36" allows for greater possibilities when launching a boat. If he was not launching a boat, then perhaps a 24" extension with a longer ball mount would work just fine. But for launching a boat, the added extension length turned out great.

Thanks for all of the assistance!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
So is the receiver drilled incorrectly or the extension tube drilled crooked? I looked at the picture and cannot figure which is faulty. As others posted, each tube can be inserted into the receiver individually and pinned, then the clamps are applied. Once fully assembled and tightened, there is no reason to touch the clamps and the double truss can be installed or removed as a complete assembly.

The extension is drilled incorrectly.

We tested the insertion/removal once all install steps were followed. The entire assembly would not come out. We believe it is the thick powder coating that was applied to all parts. It makes for a tight fit. Plus, the tolerances are quite tight to begin with.
After a few ins/outs, it should be fine.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
Curious to how much weight the Supertruss adds with the extension over stock hitch? (and therefore decreases your "legal" camper carrying capacity?)
it must be significant.

It's beefy, but not that heavy. If someone is that close on capacity, they have other issues. And towing anything probably shouldn't be on the menu.

After some net searching, I estimate that for my application, the hitch itself would add about 30 pounds over the stock hitch. A 36" extension adds about 70 pounds. If towing a 3500 pound trailer, there should be about 350 pounds of tongue weight. All the above reduce the carrying capacity you can put in the bed (your camper). If you have a 4500 or 5500 series truck, it probably won't be a factor. If you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck, you should take notice..

Really, wow!!

Soooo.... after all that investigation effort, you basically made my point for me. It adds a 100 pounds. Got it.

Which is probably what Grit Dog was referring to. That makes it productive.

As for the alignment, I doubt that the holes are drilled wrong; as has been pointed out, the two tubes are independent and move. Happens often, even after install. That's what a hammer is for. Give it a whack, it'll line up.

Lot's of good info on this forum, different ways for people to forward their opinions, gotta roll with it and keep it light hearted.

The hitch is drilled correctly.
It is not the collars/washers welded on outside of 5/8" holes on hitch.

The lower support bar was drilled/punched INCORRECTLY.

TL stated "5/8" holes are punched, not drilled. Once in a while we get a bad one." New one was sent, installed, and pin went right in!

It was easy to see that it was drilled incorrectly.

BTW....Although they are independent tubes, once they are installed, hitch pins inserted, and the two collars are tightened.....they are NOT moving!

Also, I never asked for any weight specs or what weight the hitch added. That may have come from another poster.

Thank you!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geo*Boy wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
Curious to how much weight the Supertruss adds with the extension over stock hitch? (and therefore decreases your "legal" camper carrying capacity?)
it must be significant.

It's beefy, but not that heavy. If someone is that close on capacity, they have other issues. And towing anything probably shouldn't be on the menu.

After some net searching, I estimate that for my application, the hitch itself would add about 30 pounds over the stock hitch. A 36" extension adds about 70 pounds. If towing a 3500 pound trailer, there should be about 350 pounds of tongue weight. All the above reduce the carrying capacity you can put in the bed (your camper). If you have a 4500 or 5500 series truck, it probably won't be a factor. If you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck, you should take notice..

Really, wow!!

Soooo.... after all that investigation effort, you basically made my point for me. It adds a 100 pounds. Got it.

Which is probably what Grit Dog was referring to. That makes it productive.

As for the alignment, I doubt that the holes are drilled wrong; as has been pointed out, the two tubes are independent and move. Happens often, even after install. That's what a hammer is for. Give it a whack, it'll line up.

Lot's of good info on this forum, different ways for people to forward their opinions, gotta roll with it and keep it light hearted.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigSwick wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
BigSwick wrote:
it must be significant.

Really, wow!!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Or is it the reinforcement ring . Did you try the pin from the other side as fa as it will go and does it look straight . Either way it is made wrong .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Bedlam
So is the receiver drilled incorrectly or the extension tube drilled crooked? I looked at the picture and cannot figure which is faulty. As others posted, each tube can be inserted into the receiver individually and pinned, then the clamps are applied. Once fully assembled and tightened, there is no reason to touch the clamps and the double truss can be installed or removed as a complete assembly.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:
We never even connected the two tubes together. We simple inserted the lower tube by itself and the hole did not align.

Sorry, I missed the first picture.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
The tubes are separate pieces. The lower tube inserts into the lower receiver hole where you then line up holes and insert 5/8" pin. It is the lower tube that was not drilled correctly.

That aligns with what I was thinking, but if you loosen the straps, can you not get enough play to align the lower pin? Then, tighten the straps that hold the tubes together.

We never even connected the two tubes together. We simple inserted the lower tube by itself and the hole did not align.
Equal-i-zer 10K

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:
The tubes are separate pieces. The lower tube inserts into the lower receiver hole where you then line up holes and insert 5/8" pin. It is the lower tube that was not drilled correctly.

That aligns with what I was thinking, but if you loosen the straps, can you not get enough play to align the lower pin? Then, tighten the straps that hold the tubes together.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
I think the tubes can move independently. Maybe it got bumped in shipping if I'm right.

Equal-i-zer 10K

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the tubes can move independently. Maybe it got bumped in shipping if I'm right.