cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 years 6.7Powerstroke update

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
It’s been 4 years since I bought a brand new 2014 F350 4x4 long box SuperDuty with the 6.7 Powerstroke. I have been pulling a tt, equipment trailer and a horse trailer sometimes with 4 horses in it all over the south west. Before buying this truck I had a 350 with the 7.3 in it and thought that was probably the best truck Ford would probably ever make but this 6.7 with 102,000 miles on it has beat the 7.3 in every way !!! I’m getting on average 18 to 20 mpg empty and 11....12 loaded . The truck as only been back to the dealer once because of a check engine light, turned out It was because I didn’t plug the air cleaner sensor back in. I like all kinds of trucks but I would buy one of these again in a heart beat !!
56 REPLIES 56

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
It’s been 4 years since I bought a brand new 2014 F350 4x4 long box SuperDuty with the 6.7 Powerstroke. I have been pulling a tt, equipment trailer and a horse trailer sometimes with 4 horses in it all over the south west. Before buying this truck I had a 350 with the 7.3 in it and thought that was probably the best truck Ford would probably ever make but this 6.7 with 102,000 miles on it has beat the 7.3 in every way !!! I’m getting on average 18 to 20 mpg empty and 11....12 loaded . The truck as only been back to the dealer once because of a check engine light, turned out It was because I didn’t plug the air cleaner sensor back in. I like all kinds of trucks but I would buy one of these again in a heart beat !!

I have a friend of mine who owns a 45-year-old engine rebuilding service. He says that the 6.7 is extremely well built and that he has yet to rebuild one that has failed.

That may be but Ford has done many of them......
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:

I have a friend of mine who owns a 45-year-old engine rebuilding service. He says that the 6.7 is extremely well built and that he has yet to rebuild one that has failed.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
kw/00 wrote:
Yes the 6.7 has been a great engine thus far. I don't recall a lot of issues with them at work. I plan to ask our lead mechanic one day of the most common issues with them if any. I like the fact of diesels getting better overall since the emissions issues at times was a deal breaker for me personally. I have had to deal with those issues at work and when trucks are constantly having issues, well it's not good in emergencies. I think Ford hit a home run with this engine for sure.

Agreed. Emissions issues a few years back was one of the main reasons I went with the 6.4L Hemi last time I bought a HD truck. Glad to hear they finally have the stuff figured out on all 3 brands. They all had their issues with DPF, DEF, etc.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
type of driving? mileage? just curious, as I said my 2011 had over 120k miles in 4 years I owned it and was flawless, but it was driven on the highway. my current has only 38k miles, but also is only driven highway. I had heard about people having emission issues due to a lot of city or short trips.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
webe...curious what the issues were, how many miles and what type of driving conditions? I'm a big believer that new diesels don't do well if driven on short trips around town, mine is straight highway driving and been rock solid.

First one was the EGR Cooler Core clogged and the second was the DEF Pump.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
That's not right. Acorrding to some non diesel owners, you should have had that truck at the dealer at least six times and had all sorts of emission issues.

Congrats on the good report of little to no issues.

:B You are so right! And I'm a diesel owner!

Not a 6.7 but I had the 6.0 F-250 pulling a Sunnybrook fiver. Been across country and down South. Never had a problem in 163000 miles but according to what you read I should have had 10 to 20 k in repairs. I recently upgraded to a 6.7 F-350 due to the weight of our new fiver. Love my diesels.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
That's not right. Acorrding to some non diesel owners, you should have had that truck at the dealer at least six times and had all sorts of emission issues.

Congrats on the good report of little to no issues.

:B You are so right! And I'm a diesel owner!

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
3.55 axle ratio.

jp3731
Explorer
Explorer
OP, what axle ratio are you running?
1997 F350 CC PSD DRW. 2002 Lance 1130.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
Over the past 8 months or so my 2012 6.7 has had out of warranty emissions issues to the tune of $1800.00 for 2 issues. Had the first one corrected for 1000.00 and when the second came up I decided to make it shed some weight and had a pacemaker implanted. She is now VERY healthy and doesn't eat as much either!

That is the best post I've seen in a while!!:B

My '13 with 29k miles just had a new turbo, wastegate, wastegate solenoid, EGR cooler, flushed both coolant systems and and oil change. I drive Super Dutys for a living and my truck never seemed to have all of the power that regular trucks had, but had as much as the de-rated cab&chassis trucks. It had done fine pulling all over the SE, but kept having a little "buck/jerk" on launch occasionally and we've been trying to run the problem down for the past several months including tickets on the Ford Tech and Engineering line. Finally got approval to replace the turbo as the tech has been saying this from day 1. Turns out the VGT was stuck and doesn't look as if it has ever moved much, leading to the problem at hand. More than likely, it was stuck not long after it came out of the factory. I'm not writing this to bash Ford as the problem is now solved and the truck runs like never before, but my point is that all of these Big 3 trucks will have problems from time to time, but all 3 do amazingly well to get all of us all across this country of ours. I'm sticking with Ford as I have since '01. I love my Super Duty!
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
My old boss has a 14 F250 with the 6.7L. only gets 16mpg on mostly rural 50mph roads with some stop and go (40mi round trip). Its had Def issues since the first year. Has gone into limp mode because of it. It couldn't be trusted on a trip because of the random def issue. I wouldn't own one, because of how it could strand you on the highway when it goes into limp mode. Not worth the worry.

It begs the question, if a diesel is needed for towing, what would you suggest ?????

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Had my 2013 F250 XLT until last April, not one single issue when it turned over 117k before I traded up to a well equipped truck.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
1jeep wrote:
webe...curious what the issues were, how many miles and what type of driving conditions? I'm a big believer that new diesels don't do well if driven on short trips around town, mine is straight highway driving and been rock solid.

My cousin has a 2012 F250 with the 6.7. He works on a farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He treats his truck like ****. It idles a lot, spends a lot of time doing low speeds on the farm, a lot of time around town, a lot of time going to hunting trips around the Eastern Shore and occasionally gets out on the highway. He LOVES his truck and hasn't had any major problems with it. He clearly isn't driving it the way it was designed, yet he isn't having any problems with it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old boss has a 14 F250 with the 6.7L. only gets 16mpg on mostly rural 50mph roads with some stop and go (40mi round trip). Its had Def issues since the first year. Has gone into limp mode because of it. It couldn't be trusted on a trip because of the random def issue. I wouldn't own one, because of how it could strand you on the highway when it goes into limp mode. Not worth the worry.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
1jeep wrote:

The '12 are failure prone for egt's and def heater

Which brings me to my other question of how many miles were on it and what type of driving? my 2011 had an average of 40k miles per year, all highway and never any of those emission issues. I honestly believe if your the guy driving around town, short trips with a newer diesel then you will have these issues.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside