cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch factory installed?

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Is it easier, less hassle ,less expensive to have a 5th wheel hitch installed at the factory or a rv dealership?
7 REPLIES 7

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
batavia02 wrote:
Right now we are leaning very much in favor of a gm ,either sierra or silverado duramax diesel.

If they have a prep package, go with it,,,,then purchase your hitch from a hitch installation/shop.....You will pay THE MOST money by purchasing a hitch from GM
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Right now we are leaning very much in favor of a gm ,either sierra or silverado duramax diesel.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
Mine was installed at the dealership and was a freebe - part of the purchase of the 5th wheel trailer.

LOL TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. They just hide the price of the hitch in what you paid for the 5ver.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, the OEM prep packages offered are worth it as far as I'm concerned, remove everything from the bed and it's completely clear of everything, no rails....BUT, I wouldn't order the Hitch from the dealer....You'll save a PILE of money by purchasing it on line, (usually free shipping), or at a local hitch shop....You will be charged a ridiculous pride for a 5er hitch if purchased from the trucks manufacturer, ie Ram, GM or Ford....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you're talking about ordering a new truck. I ordered mine with the 5th wheel prep package. It gives you a nice clean box when the hitch is removed and the 7 pin connection is in the box. I don't think it's any less expensive. Depending which truck you purchase there will be a number of options for a hitch that will mount in the your vehicle.
Once you have the prep package it will be very easy to install the hitch. In my opinion the best way to go.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was installed at the dealership and was a freebe - part of the purchase of the 5th wheel trailer.
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is always easier to have someone else do any labor, but usually more expensive. If you are asking about the factory installed puck systems, this is a good way to go, if ordering a new vehicle.

If your truck has the OEM puck system, the hitch is a very easy install.

What truck, and what hitch are you considering?

Jerry