cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 weeks in--2013 Lance 850

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I moved into this camper from a 2004 Lance 1010, also bought new. I lived in it for a little over 10 years, and have lived in this one 6 weeks.

I kept my home for a year, to make sure the full-time lifestyle suited me, and sold it in 2005. I haven't regretted that decision.

Much of my assessment of the new 850 will be in comparison to the 10 year old 1010.

So, here goes:

Sliding bathroom door: Love it. Never in the way, and allows the bright-white room to increase sense of space, and contribute much light.

Furnace: Huge improvement. Truly ducted, well-distributed heat. Quiet. Also, given the basement setup, a warm floor when it is cold. I hate wearing shoes indoors.

Stove: Black beats white. The burners will simmer. Better grill. Oven won't go low as old one did, though. 300 minimum. I therefore use the nuke more for defrosting and warmups.

Sinks: Nice! I thought I would hate the big sink/little sink setup, but as one who has to watch his water consumption, it turns out I love it.

Ease of cleaning: Likely the biggest improvement of all. NO (as in none), hard to clean little places for filth to accumulate. Counter, floors, ceiling, everywhere, Lance has eliminated them. I suspect I have wives to thank for this.

Floor covering: This stuff looks like real tile! It has a nice grippy feel to bare feet, hides dirt--it is wonderful stuff.

Battery location: This might be controversial, and I am no expert, but I like the battery under the step. It is kept warm (batteries like that), the hole for a 2nd battery is already there, and I get a much-needed exterior storage compartment where the battery was on the 1010.

Upright LP tanks. Duh.

Detachable 120AC cord: I hated trying to stuff that grimy cord into that little box.

Windows, door, vents, air conditioner, skylights, all better.

Oh, and I really like that step-well at the door, necessitated by the basement.

Easy to sweep the floor into it, and wait for favorable winds before sweeping out the door.

The only thing I truly miss in the 1010 is the front window. I absolutely loved lying on my back and watching the moon and stars. It's a cave up there now.

The 14" shorter length is a trade-off. Better in some ways; worse in others.

All in all, I'm happy.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.
6 REPLIES 6

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear you are happy with your new Lance TC, stickbowjoe.

Dave Pete should watch the "Lance Manufacturing Process" video and he'd understand the difference in how precise Lance TC's are built compared to their competition with their old world jig and fixture method with sloppy fits, ? tack welds, and poorly fitting foam insulation that allows air transference from outside wall to inside wall. All his "manufacturing" quality questions would be answered and there's a dozen or so more videos on Lance's site he can watch also for any other question he may have. Any manufacturer can sweet talk an inquiry and tell them words they want to hear but there's one manufacturer who actually does what he wants and more! They'd spent millions to take the variation and employee errors far below any other TC manufacturer has even dreamed of. True quality and using the best materials speaks for themselves! Glitz and Glamour soon wears off but not true quality!

Lance uses NO wood in their TC body structure. 6061-T6 aluminum tubing welded at assembly in exact location and reinforced with Lance's patented "LanceLock" system doubling the tubing wall thickness at stress/support points and areas etc, "Azdel" waterproof composite that sound proofs and insulates instead of cheap wood lauan on the walls and roofs underlayment, etc, recessed captured wiring and liquid lines in CNC routed channels so there's no possibility of pinched wires or liquid lines, NO gap CNC precision cut foam insulation that has to be pushed into place and contacting 360 degrees around outside edge surfaces, Lite ply very strong cupboards with all panels CNC machined for precision assemble with zreo gaps the same as used in ultra expensive corporate jets, etc. Nothing used that will rot, absorb water, or that will support mold etc growth on all 6 sides of the TC structure.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are enjoying it
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Just watched the video, Woodhog!

Wow! Thanks.

Actually, it explains more than one might at first think. (I think ๐Ÿ™‚

I was disappointed with the way the latches worked on nearly all of my doors and cabinets, and said so here.

It now occurs to me that despite their CNC-controlled everything, little things like the "just so" proper adjustment of a cabinet latch can only be done by the careful hand of a caring man.

I'm OK with that now.

I never had a single problem with my 1010, in 122 months of full-time living therein.

Appliances? Yep. That was why I decided to trade in. They seemed to be coming quickly, one on top of the other, and I am no technician nor mechanic.

But the structure never gave a hint of unsoundness, over 10 years and 95k+ miles, many of them crawling in low range.

That's why I bought another.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent report.

Paul

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report. Its always nice to hear good things and better improvements made on any TC brand out there. Much nicer reading threads on positive aspects of any camper.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info..

I haven't paid much attention to Lance Campers for sometime, your post interested me and I watched the presentation on their web site which was very good.

Lance Manufacturing Process

Very modern and eye opening, one of the best I have seen of any TC assembly.

Looks like you have a real nice camper.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.